Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 59 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #581
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiron View Post
Perhaps you decision will make you a happy camper.
I hope so too! The last new vehicle I purchased was a 2006 Dodge Cummins and I had nothing but headaches with it. So I can relate to some folks misery here, but also know that there are lots that are completely happy as well. Unfortunately my experience showed that no matter what I buy there is some risk of getting a bad one. Back then I passed on a Ford in favor of the "more trouble-free" Dodge, and to this day I second guess that decision.

Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #582
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
Some days it's a hit or miss. Some days, it works fine each time, and other days it's like it doesn't want to luck until I get impatient....
Buit my concern now is the update for the transmission. Are dealerships required to do the updated if you ask?
Hey Sirhawkeye,

As gtncpa suggested, visiting your local Ford dealership for the update is a great step. At the same time, they can figure out the Fob's issue.

Keep me posted on the results of the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtncpa View Post
My dealership did my update. The delaer told me that the update will help all around drivability of the car. They did the update for free and the car does run smoother.
I would say be upfront with the dealer and have them install the updates.
Hi gtncpa,

Thanks so much for the great advice. Sometimes we just need a little push from fellow posters .

Quote:
I test drove the new 2012 Focus with Sport package and package 203a. It was equipped with the "automatic" transmission. I have to say after a long day of driving different vehicles both my wife and I left the dealership thinking that the new Focus was the best car we had driven.
The nature of the internet is that you only hear from people when they are complaining. With this said, the professional reviews, Consumer Reports and the persons complaining in this forum all make too compelling a case for me to ignore. Hopefully Ford will listen.
Quote:
. Don't get me wrong...I'm bummed. Actually, the upcoming ST version next March would probably be even more fun. And I do like the feel of the seats, look of the interior/exterior, quietness compared to others in class and handling.
Hi Andiron,

Iím glad youíve conducted your research concerning the Focus and the PowerShift automatic transmission. Be aware, that some of the issues were software related, and we have made updates accordingly. Weíre also working on doing a better job at explaining the new transmission technology behavior. As you can also see on this forum, there are many satisfied Focus owners. I hope you reconsider and join them as well!

Hereís a link about the: Focus St to help along that decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelscar View Post
Conversely, I went ahead and ordered a car because after spending nearly 6 months on this forum, I feel confident that the most prevalent issues were related to earlier build cars and have since been addressed. With the exception of MFT which is slated for a major update next spring.
Hey Kelscar,

Welcome to the Ford Family!

I would be more than happy to track the status of your order. PM you order number, VIN (if you have one) and dealer info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman35 View Post
It appears that some others have noticed disappointing gas mileage in their 2012 Focus and I just wanted to add our experiences to the thread and see what people think.
I am at a loss to explain why the mileage is so poor. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated (especially from those who have found the same issues).
Hi Booman35,

Though you've been a member since August, this seems to be your first post. So, to the forum!

Here are a few tips to help with fuel efficiency:

1. Slow down (up to 25%)
Reducing your speed from 65 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by 10% to 15% and reducing your speed from 70 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by a whopping 25%.
2. Use cruise control
This helps you save fuel in two ways. First, it controls your maximum speed, which can help you stay below 60 mph. Second, it maintains a constant speed, which means you wonít be pumping extra fuel into your engine to accelerate. You should aim to set your cruise control at your vehicleís most fuel-efficient speed, as long as itís at or below the legal limit.
3. Avoid excessive idling
An engine thatís not running uses no fuel, while idling gets zero mpg. If you know youíll stop for a while, (such as when picking up a friend who isnít ready yet or waiting for a passenger to run into the store), itís always better to turn off your engine.

Check out this link: How To Save Fuel Tips for more tips.

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #583
MurphyPeoples
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92727
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MurphyPeoples Good Standing Member
My shudder was so bad today, that I came home and I googled the "Shudder" issue, as my dealer described it, and found this website and registered. This is my second Ford Focus. I bought a brand new 2005 in 2006 and traded it in two weeks ago (with 180,000+ miles on it!) for my current 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. Having been a certified ASE tech WAY back in 1982 (before I went to college) I completely understood the dual clutch break in period described to me by my dealer. But today, I happened to park in a lot, where I had to back out from a flat spot and from foot one - back up a 30 degree incline. The transmission didn't "shudder" it HAMMERED. Finally getting to the gate in forward, I once again had to pull out of the lot (from a complete stop) up another 30 degree incline - again Hammering like crazy until I got on to level ground.

This to me didn't seem normal. I have 1,500 miles on the car, which I bought with .5 miles on it November 22nd. I plan on contacting my dealer to inform them of the issue on slightly steep inclines. I only get the issue (weither it's Shudder or Hammering) from a complete stop for the first 3 seconds or so. Everything else about the car I LOVE!

Come on Ford! This is getting a little worrisome.
Murphy
Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #584
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For you new posters in this thread.

Please limit your posts to this thread to any problem you have with the vehicle, like the one above me, or problems with your dealer's service. Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. That's the topic for this thread. I know some people feel that the car is getting a "bad rap" due to problems of some owners, but this isn't the place to laud the 2012. All that ends up happening is that people who are already frustrated with a malfunctioning vehicle are further upset by other members who post "Well there's nothing wrong with my car."

We do have a discussion forum specifically for threads on any topic about the 2012 Focus. It's simply called "Third Generation Focus Discussions", and you'll find it in the non-performance discussions under Affiliate Vendors. Go and check it out, and I'm sure you'll learn something.

Thanks for posting! Enjoy the site, and please treat other members the way that you would want to be treated.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #585
booman35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88972
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 booman35 Good Standing Member
Hi Booman35,

Though you've been a member since August, this seems to be your first post. So, to the forum!

1. Slow down (up to 25%)
Reducing your speed from 65 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by 10% to 15% and reducing your speed from 70 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by a whopping 25%.
2. Use cruise control
This helps you save fuel in two ways. First, it controls your maximum speed, which can help you stay below 60 mph. Second, it maintains a constant speed, which means you wonít be pumping extra fuel into your engine to accelerate. You should aim to set your cruise control at your vehicleís most fuel-efficient speed, as long as itís at or below the legal limit.
An engine thatís not running uses no fuel, while idling gets zero mpg. If you know youíll stop for a while, (such as when picking up a friend who isnít ready yet or waiting for a passenger to run into the store), itís always better to turn off your engine.

Noemi[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the tips - unfortunately for my problem, these are all things that I already do. I rarely drive more than 10-15 km/h (6-10 MPH) over the limit, I almost always use cruise control on the highway, and I never, ever, idle my car.

One other thing I've noticed in my EcoMode display (and something that was mentioned to me by the service department at my dealer) is that we apparently drive the car very often (75-80% of the time) while the engine is cold. Does this mean that 75-80% of the time that we are driving that the engine is too cold? Or does it mean that 75-80% of the time that we begin driving while the engine is too cold? If so, how can we improve this without idling for a period of time before driving? We also park our car in our garage so it is always warmer than outside so it shouldn't be as big of an issue as it apparently is.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #586
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cold engine = excessive fuel use. Short drives will reduce overall fuel economy on any vehicle.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #587
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by booman35 View Post
Hi Booman35,

1. Slow down (up to 25%)
2. Use cruise control

Noemi
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the tips - unfortunately for my problem, these are all things that I already do. I rarely drive more than 10-15 km/h (6-10 MPH) over the limit, I almost always use cruise control on the highway, and I never, ever, idle my car.

One other thing I've noticed in my EcoMode display (and something that was mentioned to me by the service department at my dealer) is that we apparently drive the car very often (75-80% of the time) while the engine is cold. Does this mean that 75-80% of the time that we are driving that the engine is too cold? Or does it mean that 75-80% of the time that we begin driving while the engine is too cold? If so, how can we improve this without idling for a period of time before driving? We also park our car in our garage so it is always warmer than outside so it shouldn't be as big of an issue as it apparently is.

Thanks for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

Cold engine means less than full operating temperature probably 210 degrees f. You probably make a large number of short trips that do not allow the engine to get to full operating temperature.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #588
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
My shudder was so bad today, that I came home and I googled the "Shudder" issue, as my dealer described it, and found this website and registered. This is my second Ford Focus. I bought a brand new 2005 in 2006 and traded it in two weeks ago (with 180,000+ miles on it!) for my current 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. Having been a certified ASE tech WAY back in 1982 (before I went to college) I completely understood the dual clutch break in period described to me by my dealer. But today, I happened to park in a lot, where I had to back out from a flat spot and from foot one - back up a 30 degree incline. The transmission didn't "shudder" it HAMMERED. Finally getting to the gate in forward, I once again had to pull out of the lot (from a complete stop) up another 30 degree incline - again Hammering like crazy until I got on to level ground.
This to me didn't seem normal. I have 1,500 miles on the car, which I bought with .5 miles on it November 22nd. I plan on contacting my dealer to inform them of the issue on slightly steep inclines. I only get the issue (weither it's Shudder or Hammering) from a complete stop for the first 3 seconds or so. Everything else about the car I LOVE!
Hi MurphyPeoples

Great step in contacting the dealer, they'll be able to diagnose your Focus properly. Please keep me updated on the status.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #589
engine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91090
What I Drive: red 2012 focus se

FF Reputation: 1 engine Good Standing Member
to murphy peoples I have 8800 mi on my 2012 se and it still shudders, had the trans update and tried other suggestions but it is still there. Now im getting a rattling noise on my left front some where going along with the shudder. Car is my 15th new car purchase( 2 previous focuses) and this is the worse car i have owned, including my 6 or 7 used cars.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #590
MurphyPeoples
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92727
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MurphyPeoples Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine View Post
to murphy peoples I have 8800 mi on my 2012 se and it still shudders, had the trans update and tried other suggestions but it is still there. Now im getting a rattling noise on my left front some where going along with the shudder. Car is my 15th new car purchase( 2 previous focuses) and this is the worse car i have owned, including my 6 or 7 used cars.
Engine - I too have notice the "rattling noise" coming from the left front. The best way I can describe the sound is that it's like the sound of gravel shifting around in the back of a pickup bed when traveling up a hill. The rattle happens just before the car shifts into second in my focus.

As I mentioned before I took my Local Dealer Maintenance manager out in my car, and he said he felt the shudder and heard the rattle, but he simply got out of the car and told me to "keep an eye on it and let us know if it gets any worse". I was pretty disappointed in his lackluster interest. He then waved goodbye and walked inside. So I have no idea if he wrote any report regarding my issue. Again... very disappointing.
Murphy

Bookmarks & Social Networks