DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 30 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #291
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I think we really need to wait and see if this issue persists beyond 5000 miles...anyone out there over 5000 miles still feel shudder or excessive vibration (there should always be a little with the DCT...its not a 7 series Bimmer after all...)
Yes. 10,400 miles on mine.

Posted via FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #292
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantspel View Post
Yes. 10,400 miles on mine.

Posted via FF Mobile
And, you have excessive vibration/shudder? If so, I assume you are told this is normal?

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #293
KimberChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91809
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab

FF Reputation: 1 KimberChick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
And, you have excessive vibration/shudder? If so, I assume you are told this is normal?
The rental SEL I had shuddered at low speed and vibrated at a stop and had about 18,000 miles on it.

I attributed it to being somewhat like how a real manual behaves at low speed, upon takeoff, or if you try to stop the car completely while still in gear. It'll shudder and buck and eventually die...but that's where the auto part of the DCT comes in...it'd shudder and smooth out a bit at the point a real manual would die.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #294
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
TSB
11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 C (70 F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

NOTE:REPROGRAMMING PCM AND TCM WITH LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE AND/OR LOW IDS BATTERY VOLTAGE MAY RESULT IN A BLANKED PCM AND/OR TCM.

NOTE:THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. PROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

NOTE:PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME111002A2012 Focus Automatic Transmission (DPS6): Reprogram The PCM And TCM Includes Time To Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.1 Hrs.

I just called my dealer. They are not able to find this TSB on their system! So I guess some of us live with the problems?!
My car would qualify if this TSB existed. The gal said it the TSB may have been recalled. Being that people had it applied as late as yesterday makes me sceptical.

I have an appointment for a loose interior door panel tomorrow (yet another problem of a long list). I'll print out the TSB and take it in. I recall I had to do something similar for our 08 when there was a TSB for paint issues. I had to show the dealer as not all staff have proper access to data bases that allow customers to be properly taken care of. Good thing I am a member of these forums so the community can do Fords job for them.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #295
TopKat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92298
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TopKat Good Standing Member
Yep, it's like telling a doctor what drug to prescribe. Sheeeeeesh.
Hopefully nohasfocus will post the actual reset procedure today.
This stuff is getting old.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #296
DanteCaspian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57473
What I Drive: 2012, Platinum, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 DanteCaspian Good Standing Member
Update: When I called the dealer that I bought the Focus from (in another province) they are able to see this TSB. I called the local dealer here, and they still can't see it on the computer system. What the hell?

Last edited by DanteCaspian; 12-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #297
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member

Here is the Drive cycle procedure. I am sure in most cases the dealer performed this during the update. But if people are feeling erratic shifting then this could have been skipped.

I believe I heard in another thread that if you disconnect the battery for 10 min then the transmission adaptive learning process will be manually reset? May or may not be true but if it was that would be an easy way to do a reset and then perform the drive cycle procedure. On the other hand this drive cycle may only be needed after an actual PCM update as performed at the dealer. I suppose someone who had erratic shifting could always ask the dealer to do another reset and make sure they do the proper drive cycle procedure.

My dealer would of performed this but I volunteered so I could be sure it was done correctly and it also saved them time at the end of a busy day.

First steps I did in the parking lot while shifting from drive to reverse then I pulled out to a quiet street to go from 15mph to a slow stop 5 times. Then I drove slowly keeping between 1-4th gears to get to the nearest freeway (about 1.5mi away from dealer) then I drove from 55-65mph down the freeway to achieve 6th gear for 2min keeping rpm's under 3000 to complete the last step.

Then after about 10 min of normal driving I began sport driving and wow it felt really good and has been just great ever since.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #298
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
While we will never be sure, I wonder if the 10 Reverse/Drive shifts at the beginning of this process somehow opens the system to accept new instructions? It is a sequence that wouldn't be duplicated in normal driving and it's hard to figure what value it would have in programming shift behavior.

Maybe instead of reconnecting the battery, following this protocol would be helpful even for cars that have been driven considerable distances since new or reflash. One could also position the car near a highway to perform the whole process seamlessly.

Noahsfocus, thanks again for posting.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #299
TopKat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92298
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TopKat Good Standing Member
Thanks again Noah. I'm going to try this procedure without disconnecting the battery first. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #300
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
After I do step 5, do I have to place the vehicle back in park, or can I go back to drive for 15 seconds?

Last edited by danyall2010; 12-13-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: edited steps

Bookmarks & Social Networks