Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #61
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,829, Level 32
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had them fix my rattles, but when I got my new headliner, a new one surfaced somewhere near my left ear (super-annoying). Noticeable when driving - worse with music. I'm not sure if it's the passenger door or coming from the B pillar cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #62
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Anyone have a rattling/squealing noise coming from their left driver side vent. I'm almost positive its coming from the vent and not the steering wheel but I'm not 100%. Its very annoying and when I took it to the dealer they said they could not replicate sound but it only does it when you are driving. Doesn't matter if air is on or not but I hear it everyday when i drive so I was surprised they couldn't replicate. I will take it back this weekend and do a ride along. But has anyone else had this issue?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #63
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 entity Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum567 View Post
Anyone have a rattling/squealing noise coming from their left driver side vent. I'm almost positive its coming from the vent and not the steering wheel but I'm not 100%. Its very annoying and when I took it to the dealer they said they could not replicate sound but it only does it when you are driving. Doesn't matter if air is on or not but I hear it everyday when i drive so I was surprised they couldn't replicate. I will take it back this weekend and do a ride along. But has anyone else had this issue?
Your issue sounds like mine. When it happens, apply pressure to the top of the gauge cluster housing furthest to the left. I found that the source of my squeak, even though I thought it had something to do with the vent. It goes in tomorrow and the service manager said he would take care of it.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #64
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity View Post
Your issue sounds like mine. When it happens, apply pressure to the top of the gauge cluster housing furthest to the left. I found that the source of my squeak, even though I thought it had something to do with the vent. It goes in tomorrow and the service manager said he would take care of it.
Thanks! i will try that on my way home from work
Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #65
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
I have a rattle sound just in front of the moon roof on the passenger side. I've read through this thread, and people keep mentioning failed glue. Well, I opened my moon roof so I could stick my head up and look between the roof of the car and the headliner, and I don't have glue along the front edge. What I have are two heavy duty "velcro" pieces on each side (thick plastic velcro). The sound I hear when I push my headliner up, is the velcro pieces sticking tighter tighter. When I let go of the headliner, the sound I hear is the velcro pieces coming apart a little. It seems as though the interlocking pieces of the velcro won't "mash" together as tight as what it seems they should, and the end result is a rattle. I thought I could use some double-sided tape to hole it up better just so the rattle goes away, but there really isn't any where to put siad tape. I'd rather find a solution of my own, but I'm not sure what I could wedge in there to keep it from moving. I know a trip to the dealer is going to result in a non-fix on their end.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #66
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by entity View Post
did you get this fixed? You were right thats the same thing on mine.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #67
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Does anyone else have the velcro holding the headliner area in front of the moonroof not holding together tightly? Almost positive this is the cause of the rattles I am hearing in my headliner.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #68
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
Does anyone else have the velcro holding the headliner area in front of the moonroof not holding together tightly? Almost positive this is the cause of the rattles I am hearing in my headliner.
Based on the description previously posted (I haven't seen it myself), what Ford uses to attach the headliner is a 3-M product called Dual Lock.

It is intended to serve the same purpose as Velcro, but supposedly has 5-times the holding power. It does not use the hook and loop connection that Velcro does, emulating a burr sticking to wool pants, but instead uses little posts on both sides, that fit together neatly. The adhesive on the strips is very strong.

I've used it with great success on other projects, but there is a slight bit of movement between the posts on each piece and I suppose this could result in a slight bit of noise. I personally have no headliner noise anywhere, including around the moon roof.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #69
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

That looks exactly like what I see. The problem seems to be that those individual posts are not holding tight . They still hold together, but the not tight enough. So I can push my headliner up, here the sound of them sticking together tighter, but as soon as I let up, I can hear the posts slide back apart. This is something that JUST started less than 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what has changed, other than the the temperature outside has gotten a bit colder.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #70
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
That looks exactly like what I see. The problem seems to be that those individual posts are not holding tight . They still hold together, but the not tight enough. So I can push my headliner up, here the sound of them sticking together tighter, but as soon as I let up, I can hear the posts slide back apart. This is something that JUST started less than 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what has changed, other than the the temperature outside has gotten a bit colder.
Might be time for a dealer field trip. I suppose one could cut a strip of foam tubing, called caulking backer rod,that is thicker than the space between the headliner and the roof and put it into the space to keep tension on the 3-M connections. This would prevent any slight rattling. If the connectors are actually parting due to the weight of the headliner, I suppose more connector material would be in order. Here is a photo of the backer rod I'm talking about, it comes in various diameters and is available in big-box home centers.

1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe

Bookmarks & Social Networks