Wrench dash light - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #51
xtcj98
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87919
What I Drive: 2011 shappire blue se

FF Reputation: 1 xtcj98 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wrench light, 2011 focus

After one week the dealership says the car is ready to leave. They found nothing, drove it 93 miles, and claim there is nothing they can do.
Just drive it until the problem comes back again.
The front end still rattles like a clunker with over 200 thousand miles on it, but again, they can not duplicate the customer complaint!
This is a totally unacceptable way to operate.
The vehicle is unsafe to drive until this is resolved and is a potential hazard to everyone on the highway!
FORD MOTOR COMPANY, WAKE UP BEFORE YOU GET MORE PEOPLE KILLED ON THE HIGHWAY
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #52
st12131
Focal Distortion

Fan#: 74797
What I Drive: 2007, Huyndai, Santa Fe, GLS

FF Reputation: 8 st12131 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Like everyone else, I had the same prob about 6 months ago.
The Wrench Light indicates a prob with the electronic throttle control system. Most likely the prob is the throttle position sensor not giving the computer the info it is looking for. As you all know the car is drive by wire, the computer has complete control over the motor. When you push on the gas petal you are only asking the computer for more power, the computer looks at all the info coming from the motor and traction control/ABS system and then decides how much power to give you by way of the throttle body. It then looks for conformation from the Throttle position sensor to confirm that everything is going as planned. If the TPS is giving a bad reading then the computer indicates a problem (wrench light) and may or may not go into limp mode. Now for the frustrating part, when you turn the car off and on again, the sensor resets itself and all is good, for a while! When you go to the dealership tell the service manager that you are having an intermittent problem with the electronic throttle control system and they need to test the throttle body for a faulty TPS. The throttle bodies on our cars are sealed and non-serviceable and must be replaced.
I feel you pain as this happened to me while driving through heavy rush hour traffic and going into full limp mode at speed, twice!!
I hope this helps.
Focus S #1, Sedan Revolution #192, Rally Revolution #8, March 2012 SOTM
Focal Distortion, a Ford licensed club and FSC member.
Sgt, USMC (1999-2003)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #53
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
xtcj98,

I understand you are frustrated in the dealer being unable to duplicate your concern. If you would like my help, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state. I want you to feel safe in your Focus, and will work to achieve your satisfaction.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #54
xtcj98
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87919
What I Drive: 2011 shappire blue se

FF Reputation: 1 xtcj98 Good Standing Member
Angry dead focus

I called the customer service line and gave them all the info on this "car".
As a former ASE certified tech, I find it very insulting the dealerships only try to treat everyone whom walks in as a moron.
If you will provide me the specs for what these components should read I will be very happy to confirm whether or not they test properly. The stealership oops, dealership, will only state "could not duplicate customer concerns".
Why are the service departments trained this way today?
My 14 year old 4 cyl Jeep with 190000 miles on it is a safer vehicle in terms of reliability!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #55
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,295, Level 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
xtcj98,

Your dealer is best able to use proper specs for testing, as that is not something I have access to. If you do not feel comfortable with the level of service at your dealer, I am happy to help you find one that will meet your needs.

~Natasha

Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #56
hopekfielder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90239
What I Drive: ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 hopekfielder Good Standing Member
Wrench Light

I purchased my 2009 Ford Focus in late March 2010 and was so very excited to have the peace of mind of a new vehicle with a baby on the way, then in July of 2010 I was leaving the store and realized i was unable to accelerate and the wrench light was on the dash, fortunately I was able to slowly get myself to the dealership, I was informed it was my throttle body and was replaced.

Here I am a year later and it is happening all over again. My heart sank when the wrench light came on and i was not able to accelerate AGAIN. I immediately called the dealership and spoke with the gentleman that i worked with last year who transferred to set up an appointment. The man that i was connected with was not as friendly, when I expressed my concerns and explained I had experienced this last year, he told me not to speculate and that it would be $85 to hook up my car to find out whats wrong.

This is my only vehicle, so when I'm told to bring the car in and leave it all day, and maybe they can tell me whats wrong, that's not ok. I am fearful to drive my "new" car.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #57
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,295, Level 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopekfielder View Post
I was leaving the store and realized i was unable to accelerate and the wrench light was on the dash, fortunately I was able to slowly get myself to the dealership, I was informed it was my throttle body and was replaced.

Here I am a year later and it is happening all over again.
Hi hopekfielder,

Congrats on the new addition to your family! I know it is frustrating having issues, and what I believe your dealer was trying to say is that while the symptoms are the same, the causes may be different, so the best option is to have a thorough diagnosis to ease your concerns. If they are unable to help, please let me know.

~Natasha

Old 09-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #58
hopekfielder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90239
What I Drive: ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 hopekfielder Good Standing Member
Hi Natasha,

Just wanted to let you know I picked up my car today and hopefully the issue is resolved. Our dealership was wonderful and super attentive. i just have some additional questions for you regarding my warranty that will be up soon.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #59
ninjakatie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92685
What I Drive: 2010, metalic green, Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ninjakatie Good Standing Member
Wrench light

My lovely wrench light appears when I'm idling. It's happened three times in the last two weeks. An example: I'll be sitting in line for a car wash, the wrench light comes on and my car begins to violently shake. I'll turn it off, restart, and it takes several turns of the engine to restart. I've had the car for less than two years, about 15,000 miles. I baby this car, I love this car. Right now, it's at the dealers. As I post this, I have confidence in my dealer and will post the results of today's visit. My only annoyance is, I called on Friday and was told I may be without a car for the whole weekend. I'm under warranty, why wasn't I offered a loaner (I'm single and all my friends work) so I could take it in when the problem started?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #60
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,532, Level 94
Points: 23,532, Level: 94 Points: 23,532, Level: 94 Points: 23,532, Level: 94
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
did you tell them you need a loaner? I know sometimes they wont offer if you dont ask for some reason. good luck getting it fixed though!
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.