DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 29 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #281
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noahsfocus, what were the "drive cycle" instructions? My Focus is scheduled to arrive at the dealer next week and I imagine these instructions would be helpful for a new transmission as well. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #282
TopKat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92298
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TopKat Good Standing Member
First time post here. Been following this thread closely. Had the download done 1 week ago and I'm not real happy. BTW, the TSB # shows as done on my work order copy. At first the shudder all but went away but has now come back but not quite as much. Shift points have increased in RPM but still weird. It felt like stalling once coming to a stop which had never happened before. There is a clunk when starting from a stop some times. I was accelerating up a small hill on the freeway one day and it down shifted to 4500 RPM and stayed there even after the hill leveled out until I let off the gas all the way. There are some differences so I have to assume they DID do the download. And yes they did mention about the learning cycle. Well, so far it's learning some bad habits. And as a side note, my front suspension is now creaking like it was an old lifted truck and other strange noises when starting off. Frustrating.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #283
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Noahsfocus, what were the "drive cycle" instructions? My Focus is scheduled to arrive at the dealer next week and I imagine these instructions would be helpful for a new transmission as well. Thanks!
Hello Dan,

Yes I will scan the document and post it tomorrow but basically the dealership was getting ready to close and they asked if I didn't mind doing the drive cycle as described in the adaptive learning reset process that the technician follows. When doing the TSB update all cars must go thru this drive cycle or other drive-ability issues will occur. I wonder if people who have had problems after the update had there dealership skip this very important step.

Drive cycle procedure requires the car to be driven by the technician so if your car never left the dealership then this step didn't occur (for people who waited at the dealership when they had there update and paid attention enough to notice if the car left the dealership) since it requires driving at 55-65mph for 2min for 2 cycles.

In short here is basically what the procedure was ... I will post the actual document like I said tomorrow since I don't have it with me now.

1st ... start engine, apply brake , then shift to drive for 15sec then shift to reverse for 2 sec.

2nd ... repeat step 1 for 10 cycles.

3rd ... gently accelerate to 15mph then apply brakes until completely stopped.

4th ... repeat step 3 for 5 cycles.

5th ... gently accelerate thru gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 while keeping rpm's low

6th ... gently accelerate speed between 55mph to 65mph to achieve 6th gear and maintain speed for 2min while keeping rpm's below 3000.

7th ... repeat step 6 for 2 cycles.

last ... test drive vehicle (drive like normal)

There is a note that if these steps are not performed correctly that other drive-ability issues will occur (they didn't mention what symptoms would be).

This is just from memory since I did the procedure myself. Hope this helps and now you can ask about the adaptive learning reset procedure and make sure the drive cycle is performed. I was very happy my dealer let me do this so I could know that it was done correctly ... not that the tech wouldn't of done it correctly but now I got the piece of mind that it did.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #284
TopKat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92298
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TopKat Good Standing Member
Thanks Dan! I will perform the proceedure after you post it tomorrow.
I have my doubts the dealership even knows about this. More will be
revealed.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #285
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Thank you noahsfocus for sharing this info ! I gave you one little point to your reputation too.
Quote:
1st ... start engine, apply brake , then shift to drive for 15sec then shift to reverse for 2 sec.

2nd ... repeat step 1 for 10 cycles.

3rd ... gently accelerate to 15mph then apply brakes until completely stopped.

4th ... repeat step 3 for 5 cycles.

5th ... gently accelerate thru gears 1-2 2-3 3-4 while keeping rpm's low

6th ... gently accelerate speed between 55mph to 65mph to achieve 6th gear and maintain speed for 2min while keeping rpm's below 3000.

7th ... repeat step 6 for 2 cycles.

last ... test drive vehicle (drive like normal)
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #286
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,925, Level 33
Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33 Points: 2,925, Level: 33
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Noahsfocus, thanks much for posting this. It is a bit of a mystery - do any/some/all dealers do this after applying the TSB? Is there a benefit to doing this to a new Focus? If so, is this part of the pre-delivery process? Does something happen at the factory that obviates the need for them?

This could explain why some have the TSB applied and are happy as clams while others are still unsatisfied.

It must be hard to do perform these procedures in this exact sequence as there may not be a spot to go 60 mph for two minutes close to the dealership. I guess just do them as close together as possible?

Again, many thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #287
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
I did not get the updated programming, but I might perform this sequence tomorrow. I gave noahsfocus a rep point for that post. Like dan50 said, if I go to a dealership (and I will once the car reaches 7,000 miles), there is no where close by where the car can go high speeds. There is an empty parking lot, but no room for the car to run. I wonder if one can drive the car normally for several miles until he/she gets to the highway and perform the procedure without any harm. Or if not, do a partial sequence.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #288
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
so..would it matter if the car had already been driven for a couple hundred miles? Hopefully everyone who has the TSB done would have had this seemingly critical step performed by a technician for them, as Ford is paying them to do it...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #289
pil__
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90074
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

Points 382, Level 7
Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pil__ Good Standing Member
I'm now at 2600 miles. My shuddering problem didn't really start to go away until around 1700 miles. It's still there now, just much less frequent.

One thing I still haven't figured out is whether the vibration I feel at around 1200-1500rpm is normal. I don't seem to have much rough idle anymore, but at very low speeds at this rpm, a vibration is quite noticeable. I can feel it in the steering wheel and it's enough to slightly rattle my phone dock. I'm a little hypersensitive to vibrations after some major problems I had with my last car, but it definitely does not feel like any other car I've driven in good condition.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #290
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
I think we really need to wait and see if this issue persists beyond 5000 miles...anyone out there over 5000 miles still feel shudder or excessive vibration (there should always be a little with the DCT...its not a 7 series Bimmer after all...)

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.