anyone using premium gas ? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
tvfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92084
What I Drive: 2012, Oxford White, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tvfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
We have 22 refineries here in California. I ran one tank of premium through, and, although I thought is smoothed out my tranny's slight start-from-stop shudder, I didn't notice a difference in anything else - but I don't flog it anyway. I'm back to regular and I don't even notice any difference in the shifting.
Actually California only has 20 refineries, but then who is counting......

I went and read the owners manual and it recommends using 87 Octane Regular Unleaded gas. To me it makes absolutely no sense to use anything other than Regular Unleaded. By using Premium you are gaining nothing other than spending more money for something that the engine has to compensate (de-tune) for. If you think Premium Unleaded gas has anything more in it than Regular Unleaded (other than more Octane) then you have bought into the gas companies hype.

I will agree that there is a difference between brands, but no difference between any one brands Regular gas versus their Premium gas other than the octane rating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfocus View Post
...By using Premium you are gaining nothing other than spending more money for something that the engine has to compensate (de-tune) for...
You're reducing the chance that your timing is going to retard. It is a twin independent variable camshaft timing engine. I'm sure the horsepower and torque is rated when the timing is most advanced.

Quote:
I will agree that there is a difference between brands, but no difference between any one brands Regular gas versus their Premium gas other than the octane rating.
You're making it sound like octane rating is only a number.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #43
MGDeftones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86854
What I Drive: 2012 TI

FF Reputation: 1 MGDeftones Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
You're reducing the chance that your timing is going to retard. It is a twin independent variable camshaft timing engine. I'm sure the horsepower and torque is rated when the timing is most advanced.

You're making it sound like octane rating is only a number.
As long as you use a quality 87, your timing won't retard. There's another thread floating around here where someone got a response directly from a Ford technician that stated that the timing won't advance with a higher octane fuel. I wish someone would do a dyno run with regular and premium so we can put this all to rest. I'm guessing you will see a 2-3 hp gain at most, and that will be on the upper end of the RPM's that most people will never access anyways.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #44
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
Here's the bottom line.... Unless your engine is specifically desinged to run on 93 octane fuel (and the Focus clearly isn't) you are doing nothing but wasting your money by buying it! You can argue all you want but the facts are the facts!

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #45
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
Here's the bottom line.... Unless your engine is specifically desinged to run on 93 octane fuel (and the Focus clearly isn't) you are doing nothing but wasting your money by buying it! You can argue all you want but the facts are the facts!
93 Octane - probably a waste.

But I already argued about this in another thread for days. The Focus will most likely benefit from higher octane in hot climates. The Cruze was tested in Death Valley and they found that it did better with 91 octane and was worth the extra $0.12 per gallon. (I understand the Cruze is not the Focus, but I'm sure they work the same.)

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...s-premium.html
Old 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #46
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Ignition timing and cam timing are two different things.

Variable cam timing allows the overall characteristics of the engine to be changed on the fly. In general advancing when the intake valves open will enhance power in the lower rpms and retarding the when the intakes closes enhances power in the upper rpm range. The variable valve timing allows the engine to have a broad power range.

Ignition timing is when the spark is created and needs to happen at the right point to ensure max cylinder pressure occurs at the right point after TDC. In general for max power the timing needs to advance with rpm. The knock sensor will retard the ignition timing if it detects detonation.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #47
JSR84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87788
What I Drive: 2008 MazdaSpeed 3

FF Reputation: 1 JSR84 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Actually California only has 20 refineries, but then who is counting......

I went and read the owners manual and it recommends using 87 Octane Regular Unleaded gas. To me it makes absolutely no sense to use anything other than Regular Unleaded. By using Premium you are gaining nothing other than spending more money for something that the engine has to compensate (de-tune) for. If you think Premium Unleaded gas has anything more in it than Regular Unleaded (other than more Octane) then you have bought into the gas companies hype.

The manual also states that running premium will result in increase performance.

Most engines are tuned with high and low ignition tables. Which if is true for the Focus it would make sense why they recommend regular but also state that premium will increase performance(Page 354 "Octane recommendations" last sentence in the owners manual.). One day I'll hook it up to my Dash Hawk and try and figure it out.

My G8's had high and low octane tables and running on the low octane table the car made around 8HP less than the high octane table (Stock). It switched to the low octane table when it detected a predetermined knock count withing a set time frame. It was kind of a PITA when trying to tune the thing because it was pretty sensitive and switch over when it wasn't needed. I ended up just cloning the high table on to the low since I wasn't planning on running anything less than 94.
God I miss that car.

Last edited by JSR84; 12-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #48
MisterH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89103
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 2 MisterH Good Standing Member
Nope. Unleaded plus (89 octane) for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #49
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Well, after all that, I guess we should just run 89 octane and call it good lol! I will just try to avoid non "top tier" stations. And yes all gasoline comes from the same distribution pipes that supply the country, but each retailer decides what kind of additives to put in, as well as how often/well they maintain their tanks...I have seen a weird auxillary power type trailer plugged into the tanks (ventilation hose and electrical cables going into the ground where the tank fill points are) at the local Speedway numerous times, and their pumps are always in poor condition or broken! If they can maintain the pumps and the power supply units, what does the inside of those storage tanks look like??
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #50
Bradm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90623
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass 5 door SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Bradm Good Standing Member
This topic never dies whether it is in a car or motorcycle, there are those that believe higher octane means more power. I won't repeat the facts already stated by others except that an engine will best served for life and economy by using the octane it was designed to use.

The easiest way to improve fuel mileage when choosing a fuel is to buy ethanol free gas. Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline, burning 100% gasoline will improve mileage over a 10% percent ethanol blend by about 3.3%. Most people won't see this difference because driving habits can wash these small percentages.

If you are averaging mid 30's per gallon it works out to about 12 to 15 extra miles per tank or an additional 1 mpg. Not much but a real gain.

Bookmarks & Social Networks