DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 28 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #271
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craeshen View Post
The updated software has been really fantastic so far even tho the dealership was not happy about having to do that and me having to mention I have a warranty for exactly that reason. At least the tech was on my side there.

Anyway after I got it back I simulated a condition that had left the transmission confused before and had it refuse too upshift, hit the brakes hard as if in an emergency breaking situation then needing to get back on the gas suddenly.

Well when I hit the brakes I was at forty dropped to 20 hit the gas the cars program quickly figured out my intent (IE emergency avoidance.) and dumped the clutch all I can say whoa looked down and I was @ 100 km/h suffice it too say I backed off the throttle quickly but it now reacts more intuitively.

Also when you get the update the transmission goes through another period of adaptive learning.

One nice thing I have noticed now is the shift's between gears are always @ 2500 rpm now when going easy on the gas were as before they varied from 1800 too 2200 rpm which is too early.

(Yes this was on a hi way wasn't other traffic but yes I have had too do that before trust me I have days where I can't figure out how the some people got there license seeing as they lack the sense part oft it.)
You don't have to be speeding along and slam on the brakes then floor it to have this happen. I've had it happen now three times with an October car. All three times I was cruising at 35 to 40, a car or line of cars was stopped or slowing significantly in front of me and the lane to my right was lightly occupied. I braked to slow for the traffic in front of me, waited for the two or three cars in the right lane to clear, then lightly hit the gas as I turned into the right lane and the tranny either upshifted, or missed a shift and I momentarily got no go but high RPMs.

I don't commute any more, but this sort of maneuver is very common during a commute where one is attempting to get into an HOV lane brake, or other slow traffic lane changes. I'll try it a few more times, and then talk to my dealer, if I can replicate the event.

Thanks for the post.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #272
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Reprogrammed PCM and TCM TSB 11-10-2 - Runs better but I still have a rough idle and shuddering, will give it more time though.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #273
Aikigreg
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90643
What I Drive: Honda fit

FF Reputation: 1 Aikigreg Good Standing Member
How do you know the update has been applied?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #274
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikigreg View Post
How do you know the update has been applied?
Took it to the dealer and he told me plus on the invoice
Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #275
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
TSB APPLIED!

OK, so objective observations:
Transmission engages immediately upon lifting off the brakes.
Up shifts are much quicker. I can now merge with ease, whereas before i had to anticipate the oncoming traffic's intent, hit the gas hard, and wait 2 seconds (an eternity for a modern transmission, and a modern merge lol!)
Selectshift holds gear longer, up to redline.

Subjective observation:
Holy crap this is now a really fun car!
I can drive it like it was meant to be driven!
MPG's seem much better! (at least on the high way cruse home from the dealer. Before we were lucky to see 32, now it climbed up to 41 and held..)

Just a great change, and i feels like it worth way more than i paid!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #276
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
TSB APPLIED!

Up shifts are much quicker. I can now merge with ease, whereas before i had to anticipate the oncoming traffic's intent, hit the gas hard, and wait 2 seconds (an eternity for a moder transmission, and a modern merge lol!)

Subhective observation:
MPG's seem much better!

Just a quick all-is-well comment. I now have 1800 miles on my October SEL. up to about 1700, I had a slight shudder when accelerating from a stop, not awful but annoying for a new car. Three times, maybe four, I experienced a strange up-shift/clutch application/shift-to-neutral flair when going to brake then back to accelerate. The shudder is now virtually non-existent and I tried several heavy-brake/gas sequences yesterday and was unable to replicate my four prior experiences. I continue to marvel at how pleasant this car is to drive - I do believe I like it much better than my 1967 Corvette (gone in 1969), my 1969 Corvette (gone in 1971), or my 1968 E-Type Jag (gone in 1973). None of these cars gave me the road hugging feel and confidence that my SEL gives me - I do really love to drive this machine on the 13 miles of curvy, narrow, tree-shaded country roads to and from my ranch in the hills!
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #277
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
I've noticed on mine (which hasn't been reprogrammed at all) that when I pull off the brake, I feel a little shutter or a small lurch (doesn't really make the car move forward, but more or less feels like a small quick "shake") and then i'm going.

Is this what the reprogramming will address?

I've also found that at times, my car will have shifted all the way to 6th gear by the time it hits 40 mph in city driving, which seems a bit odd to me, because I would think it would be in maybe 3rd or 4th gear at 35-40 mph. I'm not a trans tech, so I could be wrong.

It's much better than when I first got the car (car has 6200 miles on it now) but I think it may still need improvement.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #278
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post
I've noticed on mine (which hasn't been reprogrammed at all) that when I pull off the brake, I feel a little shutter or a small lurch (doesn't really make the car move forward, but more or less feels like a small quick "shake") and then i'm going.

I've also found that at times, my car will have shifted all the way to 6th gear by the time it hits 40 mph in city driving, which seems a bit odd to me, because I would think it would be in maybe 3rd or 4th gear at 35-40 mph. I'm not a trans tech, so I could be wrong.

It's much better than when I first got the car (car has 6200 miles on it now) but I think it may still need improvement.
The first problem you describe is the same issue I have. I supposedly got the update done but from looking at the invoice I don't think they did.
I still have that shudder/rough engagement when letting off the brake

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #279
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhawkeye View Post

sirhawkeye, the reprogramming should improve the shuddering. To me, it has happened occasionally, and I could actually describe it as rarer nowadays either in traffic or when placing the car in the garage. And when it happens its much more subtle.

The gearing will change too, with the new programming, my car will still be in about 3rd in moderate acceleration to 40 mph, but once I maintain the speed, the car will go to 6th.

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)
Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #280
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
TSB APPLIED!

Up shifts are much quicker. I can now merge with ease, whereas before i had to anticipate the oncoming traffic's intent, hit the gas hard, and wait 2 seconds (an eternity for a modern transmission, and a modern merge lol!)

Subjective observation:
MPG's seem much better! (at least on the high way cruse home from the dealer. Before we were lucky to see 32, now it climbed up to 41 and held..)

TSB finally applied!!!

I agree with the majority of people that it makes a world of difference and the shift points are much better now. Engine flare seems gone and very slight shudder and rough idle is improved as well, also hard downshifts or clunking noise (which was very rare anyway) seems fixed too.

Nice to finally get it done after 6mo of driving around shifting at 2000rpm now I can feel 4000rpm and the true horsepower of the vehicle. Smooth and swift shifting also.

My dealer had me do the drive cycle procedure after the update and gave me the instructions on what steps to perform. I think some dealers may have skipped this step in some cases to save time leading to more drive-ability issues (harsh and improper shifting). I was happy to perform the drive cycle myself so I would know for sure it was done correctly ... and thus I have a super-smooth awesome shifting DCT now!

Luvin it!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.