DST Stalling the Car. Anyone Else Having a Problem? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DST Stalling the Car. Anyone Else Having a Problem?

Yesterday I was stopped on a pretty tame hill at a stop light with two cars in front of me. The light turned green and we started to move, I gave the car a little gas but then the idiot in the front of the pack stopped for no reason and I slammed on my brakes from a very slow roll (we've all been there). The gearbox shuttered and then the car stalled. I was puzzled, put the car into neutral and it fired right back up and off I went.

Then tonight coming home from work I had to slam on the brakes again from a guy who wasn't looking and pulled out of a gas station as I was slowly accelerating away from a light. Once again the car shutter violently and stalled out.

Is this supposed to happen? I mean I know it's a manual that has an automatic shift program more or less, but I really don't think the car should stall.

I plan on taking the car into the dealer tomorrow (which I'm getting really tired of doing) and seeing if they can look at it.

I am slowly losing my love for this car quickly, which is a shame because when it's working I love the way it drives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
If it stalling, you have to re-start it? Or is it just sputtering, almost stalling? I wonder if it is a malfunction of the fuel-shutoff mechanism for impact and/or the gas saving function that cuts gas during deceleration being over-enthusiastic. I haven't had this problem but I don't know if I have had to really slam on the brakes yet.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

It's stalling and I have to restart it. I'm almost used to the almost stalling thing the trans does.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
It's stalling and I have to restart it. I'm almost used to the almost stalling thing the trans does.
Definitely not normal - take it in!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
JSR84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87788
What I Drive: 2008 MazdaSpeed 3

FF Reputation: 1 JSR84 Good Standing Member
I've yet to have it stall on me however, I've been in the same situation were you touch the gas then need get off it quickly and the transmission freaks out. It usually happens to me in reverse.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
KimberChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91809
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab

FF Reputation: 1 KimberChick Good Standing Member
Sounds exactly like what happens in a manual car if you come to a stop while in gear. It dies. You get ninja quick in traffic with slapping it into neutral with a stick when the idiots attack, lol.

(A dual-clutch setup shouldn't be doing this unless the clutches aren't disengaging fast enough...lots of other manufacturers use this type of auto with no issue)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Depending on your build date, did you get (or need) the transmission update? I have had some sputters - but it's never killed my engine. Before my transmission update, the engine RPMs flared up past 3,000RPM when stopping and always felt weird. If your build date is on or before 8/12/2011 and you haven't gotten the transmission reprogram, I suggest you do.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

Points 1,931, Level 26
Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26 Points: 1,931, Level: 26
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The driveway to my office is on a curve, I started out into the street when a car came screaming around the curve and I had to hit the brakes fast. Nothing happened, no stalling or hesitation. Mine is an earlier build and I have not had the reprogramming work done.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Depending on your build date, did you get (or need) the transmission update? I have had some sputters - but it's never killed my engine. Before my transmission update, the engine RPMs flared up past 3,000RPM when stopping and always felt weird. If your build date is on or before 8/12/2011 and you haven't gotten the transmission reprogram, I suggest you do.
Needed it and got it about a month ago. The update made the car far worse then it was prior to the update.

And I'm dropping my car off Monday night for them to keep it for a few days. They are giving me a loaner too, but apparently it counts towards my 14 free rental days, to which 3 are already gone. I miss MINI's customer service where you just got a car by default if you left your car for more then a day.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

I got my car back from the dealer today, apparently Ford said it was normal for the car to stall under quick braking. I some how do not buy that, I'll be calling their customer service line tomorrow to see if I can get a better answer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.