How to Remove 08 Sedan Grille / Headlight - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #41
blindreap3r
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 73709
What I Drive: 2008 S Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 blindreap3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wish I found this before I repainted my grill. Broke one of the tabs on a headlight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #42
focusduratec20
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84176
What I Drive: 2010 silver se (sedan)

FF Reputation: 1 focusduratec20 Good Standing Member
I have a 2010 focus se sedan and i wanna remove the lower part of the grill in between the fog lights. How would i go about doing so
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #43
CamoCustom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78390
What I Drive: 2011 Mazda 3 iTouring 2.0

FF Reputation: 2 CamoCustom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusduratec20 View Post
I have a 2010 focus se sedan and i wanna remove the lower part of the grill in between the fog lights. How would i go about doing so
Pretty sure you are gonna have to go from underneath. First remove the splash guard, then you should have access to the rear part of the bumper and black grille and remove as needed.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #44
focusduratec20
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84176
What I Drive: 2010 silver se (sedan)

FF Reputation: 1 focusduratec20 Good Standing Member
Thanks man
ill try that out and see if it works
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #45
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
Big thanks BradWhite. This guide came in quite handy as I took my 08 grille off last night for paint.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #46
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
UPDATE; Just used this procedure to install PIAA H13 bulbs in a 2010 Focus SEL

Procedure worked perfectly.

I used a pair of very small screwdrivers to pop the 4 expansion plugs that retain the top of the grill. I laid one down and used it as a fulcrum and gently put the blade of the 2nd screwdriver under the head of the plug and removed it with no damage.

With the 4 plugs out of the way . . . I was able to reach the clips in the lower portion of the grill. I'm not sure the plugs really do anything. The key here is that there are 4 alignment tabs. A tab on the grill slips under each of them to hold the grill.

Between each pair of 2 tabs on each side is a smaller tab that has a lip on the back. This lip slips over and edge and "clicks" into place.

At first I was trying to remove the expansion plug until I learned it did nothing. The key is to simply wiggle the grill gently and release the tab that hangs over the lip.

I was able to change both lamps in roughly 30 minutes.

Thanks to those who posted the photos and the procedure.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #47
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
UPDATE; Just used this procedure to install PIAA H13 bulbs in a 2010 Focus SEL

Procedure worked perfectly.

I used a pair of very small screwdrivers to pop the 4 expansion plugs that retain the top of the grill. I laid one down and used it as a fulcrum and gently put the blade of the 2nd screwdriver under the head of the plug and removed it with no damage.

With the 4 plugs out of the way . . . I was able to reach the clips in the lower portion of the grill. I'm not sure the plugs really do anything. The key here is that there are 4 alignment tabs. A tab on the grill slips under each of them to hold the grill.

Between each pair of 2 tabs on each side is a smaller tab that has a lip on the back. This lip slips over and edge and "clicks" into place.

At first I was trying to remove the expansion plug until I learned it did nothing. The key is to simply wiggle the grill gently and release the tab that hangs over the lip.

I was able to change both lamps in roughly 30 minutes.

Thanks to those who posted the photos and the procedure.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #48
GreatLakesAngel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92541
What I Drive: 2008 True Blue SES

FF Reputation: 1 GreatLakesAngel Good Standing Member
I tried to change my blink bulb today. I was able to easily get the pins on top of the grille easily, but I'm having a ton of trouble getting those snap fasteners off. I tried to pry them off, but that didn't work.

Do you have any advice on how to get those two fasteners off easily? That seems to be the part giving me the most trouble.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #49
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The lower catches are always an issue. Get a good flashlight and pull back the top of the grill so you get a good look down there. The pins are different down there, small round top on the pins. You can slip a small flat screwdriver blade between the top of the pin and the retainer body, pull the pin up with the screwdriver. Grap the top of the pin with pliers and pull it out. AutoZone sells a body and trim tool kit for $15, worth the investment!

Good luck,
Brad

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #50
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesAngel View Post
I tried to change my blink bulb today. I was able to easily get the pins on top of the grille easily, but I'm having a ton of trouble getting those snap fasteners off. I tried to pry them off, but that didn't work.

Do you have any advice on how to get those two fasteners off easily? That seems to be the part giving me the most trouble.
The way I've always handled it (since I've removed the grill about 20 times now):

1. Note where the two catches are
2. Get a long, thin flat head screw driver
3. From the front of the grill, slide the flat head under the grill - in between the top of your bumper cover and the grill itself
4. If you aimed it right, you can wiggle the screwdriver up and down until the catch is no longer resting on the bumper cover, but instead on your screwdriver.
5. Lightly pull on that side of the bumper (if you're prying the right catch, pull lightly on the right side of the grill) until it pops towards you.
6. Repeat for the other catch.

Does that make sense? If not, I can probably try to grab some pictures at some point today.
Autobots decal over Ford emblems
Flat black TFB Designs hood stripes

Bookmarks & Social Networks