Remote start and push button start - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnfizz View Post
Tony,

Sorry it's been awhile since I was last here. The name of my dealer is Duval Ford in Jacksonville, Fl. As I understand it they had to disable the door ajar interlock signal for the remote start system. The doors stay locked now and it does not shut down when I hit the key fob to unlock the door/s. If I hit the brake before turning to the II position the engine will quit. I am still having issues with having to hit the unlock button on the key to open the passenger doors. The first press unlocks the drivers door and the second press opens the passenger doors but as I approach the car there are a lot of times the second press doen't open them so you have to repeat the two presses. There is a thread here about a procedure to make all doors unlock with one press but I haven't tried that yet.
Thanks! I have a laundry list of things to get fixed and this is one of them.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #32
Magazyne
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90473
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Magazyne Good Standing Member
Here is another thread in the General Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256903) providing some instruction on entering the programming mode to change some settings. I was successful in disabling the horn honk on start and the "press & hold" to "2 presses" for remote start. Unfortunately, my remote start seems to end at Option #6 in Option Bank #2. Because I cannot get to Option #7, I cannot disable the "Shutdown on door open or key-in sense" feature which I would really like to test.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #33
razzerx
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86590
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Silver Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 razzerx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonm View Post
I've had a remote start on order for 30 days now, dealer says they are waiting for a code from Ford. Not the best dealership I've been to, I am hoping they know what they are doing.
My company installs the Ford remote start and there is no code needed for the install.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
daltonm
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88842
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 daltonm Good Standing Member
Thanks - I've already had to call Ford Customer Service, got elevated to whatever the next level is. Customer Service said they had the hardware on order and that it was backordered two weeks (on top of 30 days), which should have been Saturday the 15th. Still no word from dealership.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #35
Kakakidan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85841
What I Drive: Waiting for 2012 focus titanium h/b

FF Reputation: 1 Kakakidan Good Standing Member
Does anyone know to get into programming mode for RMST with push button start models

I have located the over ride switch ( its on passenger side next to the fuse box under the glove box)

instructions so far : press and hold brake pedal and turn key to on/run then pres and hold the over ride switch for 10 sec. ( this will start the engine coz i have to push the start button to turn on)

any ideas how to enter programming mode

thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #36
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
I have the push button start and want the remote start. Think I can live with the way it works. Had RS on a couple cars. Thinking if it shuts off when I open the door, that'ld be ok, because by the time I restarted it and got settled, the MFT would/should be ready to go. I hope! LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #37
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
The reason for the shutdown when opening the door is because of the MyKey technology.

The instrument cluster remembers key IDs. As far as the instrument cluster goes, it considers a remote start fob as a key.

Now, say I am a young teenager looking to borrow my parents Focus. They have given me a programmed MyKey with speed limits, etc. If I decide to start the car with a remote start fob, it will shut down when I open the door so that I have to use the MyKey to start the vehicle.....and I am forced to drive with limited use. Now, if the remote start was programmed so that it stayed running in a seamless operation as we are often used to with older remote starts, I have the ability to start the vehicle with a remote start and even though I have the MyKey in my pocket, the car is still running off of the non-limited key ID that was the remote start fob. The young teenager can bypass the MyKey system completely!

That is why the vehicle shuts down when you open the door. It used to be bank 2/option 7 for the one button remote starts to shut down this feature but I'm not sure how to do it with the new ones. I'll keep you guys posted when I get a chance to play around with one as I usually turn this feature off for most people as I have found that 95% of the people will never use MyKey.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
Fuzzy Logic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91597
What I Drive: 2012 White Plat Met Tri Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 Fuzzy Logic Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
The reason for the shutdown when opening the door is because of the MyKey technology.

The instrument cluster remembers key IDs. As far as the instrument cluster goes, it considers a remote start fob as a key.

Now, say I am a young teenager looking to borrow my parents Focus. They have given me a programmed MyKey with speed limits, etc. If I decide to start the car with a remote start fob, it will shut down when I open the door so that I have to use the MyKey to start the vehicle.....and I am forced to drive with limited use. Now, if the remote start was programmed so that it stayed running in a seamless operation as we are often used to with older remote starts, I have the ability to start the vehicle with a remote start and even though I have the MyKey in my pocket, the car is still running off of the non-limited key ID that was the remote start fob. The young teenager can bypass the MyKey system completely!

That is why the vehicle shuts down when you open the door. It used to be bank 2/option 7 for the one button remote starts to shut down this feature but I'm not sure how to do it with the new ones. I'll keep you guys posted when I get a chance to play around with one as I usually turn this feature off for most people as I have found that 95% of the people will never use MyKey.
wonder what happens if you don't program mykey, still the same thing?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #39
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post

Hmmmm...

How is this any different for proximity fobs that remember what positions individual drivers want the seats, steering wheel, mirrors, and climate settings to be?

For example, in my '09 CTS-V with proximity fobs my girlfriend and I had different driver's settings and regardless of who started the car with their remote start, the car would recognize the particular person getting into the car (based on which fob they carried) and then adjust the seats, mirrors etc. appropriately when the person got into the car - all without requiring a re-start. Come to think of it, my Infiniti M45 was the same way.

I can't see how this would be any different for a car that remembered certain parameters (like speed, stereo volume, etc.) in a parental-control situation. Teenager starts car with remote start, car starts with absolutely no clue as to what restrictions to place on operation, but when a fob gets close enough the car can recognize that fob as having certain restrictions and then enables those restrictions, all without having to re-start the car.

I'm not saying that what you described is not indeed how the car was designed, I'm just saying that I can't understand WHY is was designed that way.

If I had designed the car (which I obviously didn't, nor do I know how to design a car) I would have made it so that when you remotely started the car it would start in a "blank slate" mode so that it is now running without any sort of preference as to restrictions, preferences, etc. However, when someone gets into the car the engine will remain running and will continue to run (What's the point of having a remote start if you need to start the car again when you get inside?) but when you put your foot down on the brake to place the car in gear, the car's brain now senses the presence of the fob as a condition of starting (and thus the reason the car would shut off if you put your foot on the brake without the presence of a fob, thus preventing someone from breaking a window and stealing your car on a cold morning) and would then realize, "Hey...there's a fob present that's telling me to limit speed and stereo volume, etc." At least that's the way I would design it.

Tony
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #40
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
The reason why it doesn't do it that way is because you have an IA key buried in your dash, tied into your remote start. When you remote start your car, you are starting it with the ID of that buried IA key. If it didn't turn off when you got into the car, it would still be running off of that IA key in the dash and it wouldn't care what you have in your pocket.

Bookmarks & Social Networks