How well does your Focus drive in snow? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #71
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Are the stock 17" continentals decent in the snow?

Im not buying snow tires. Even though we had a "huge" snow storm last year in our region, we thought about it and there were literally only 2 days where we actually had any trouble getting around. They are good about plowing and salting the hell out of the roads here.

And I had some crap all season tires on 2 of our cars, one of which is lowered, and made it 45 miles home in the middle of the "worst" storm last season (only took 4 hours!) and didnt get stuck until I hit the unplowed streets of our neighborhood and was plowing snow uphill with my bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinS View Post
This is what I'm wondering too. I hope to have some time this weekend to head up to the mountains and play around in the sno-park.
Well the stocker conti's are all season tires so you will have more grip than a summer performance tire (virtualy no grip on ice, very poor grip on snow) BUT since they are not a winter tire they will get harder below 6-7c and cause quite a loss in grip even on dry roads compared to the same tire in warmer weather. In the cold on snow or ice you will see even more of a reduction in traction so leave much more distance to cars in front of you and start braking much sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #72
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
The stock 17 conti's are poor in cold rain and snow. The clutch causes the tires to break free frequently on take off and the stopping distance is poor coming from Michelin ltx on an explorer where the warm and cold rain was very similar. The abs keeps the car straight no problems there. The trac control will keep both front tires going but it also causes the nose to shift around and torque steer a bit and it makes a lot of clunky and hoppy noises. The throttle regulator only kicks in at high rpm maybe over 4000. Overall the car moves well but the tires are poor. I would give these tires a 5/10 for all seasons in cold rain or snow.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #73
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
Well the stocker conti's are all season tires so you will have more grip than a summer performance tire (virtualy no grip on ice, very poor grip on snow) BUT since they are not a winter tire they will get harder below 6-7c and cause quite a loss in grip even on dry roads compared to the same tire in warmer weather. In the cold on snow or ice you will see even more of a reduction in traction so leave much more distance to cars in front of you and start braking much sooner.
I am well aware of the differences between all-season tires and winter tires. My question is whether these particular all-seasons are any good in winter driving conditions. Some all-season tires are very good in snow and cold, some are very poor. I'm curious as to how the Continentals perform along that spectrum. No all-season will be as good as a dedicated winter tire in winter conditions, but many are perfectly acceptable for the occasional snow flurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The stock 17 conti's are poor in cold rain and snow. The clutch causes the tires to break free frequently on take off and the stopping distance is poor coming from Michelin ltx on an explorer where the warm and cold rain was very similar. The abs keeps the car straight no problems there. The trac control will keep both front tires going but it also causes the nose to shift around and torque steer a bit and it makes a lot of clunky and hoppy noises. The throttle regulator only kicks in at high rpm maybe over 4000. Overall the car moves well but the tires are poor. I would give these tires a 5/10 for all seasons in cold rain or snow.
Thank you, this is very helpful
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #74
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Are the stock 17" continentals decent in the snow?
I did a lot of research and reading reviews before I purchased my winter tires. Every review I read from northern climates stated the Conti Pro Contacts were good the first winter, but were horrible after that.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #75
friction
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91845
What I Drive: 2012 Blaze Yellow SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 friction Good Standing Member
I suppose they can't possibly as bad as the oem kumho kh16 on my Hyundai. Awful tire.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #76
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88508
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
I did a lot of research and reading reviews before I purchased my winter tires. Every review I read from northern climates stated the Conti Pro Contacts were good the first winter, but were horrible after that.
The Conti Pro with full tread should be good for the first winter. I didn't have any problems with it even with heavy snow fall. I wasn't going to change to winter tires, but I had already purchased mine and they offered free installation so why not.

I did drive very carefully though. Didn't wanna hurt my car when it's not even a year old :P
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #77
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I've got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R tires- I bought them because I've only heard good things. I haven't driven in any actual snow, yet. No worries; I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #78
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
I highly recommend four snow tires. I purchased four 205/50/16 Michelin x-ice xi2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....autoModClar=ST
last fall, and mounted them on the stock ST rims. They replaced, for winter, the 17" Continental Contact DWS all season tires I used the prior winter. What a huge improvement in every regard! Snow traction, ice traction, braking, wet and dry traction and braking as well.
The Michelins are not inexpensive, but, what is your insurance deductible, and what is your peace of mind worth, when your spouse is out in a snow/ice storm??
Matt @ TireRack.com can help you find the best tires for you. But do get them. Good luck.
I've driven many vehicles with all season tires in sonw, and I know there was room for improvement, however I have never bought snow tires... NOW THOUGH, my WIFE is on the road all day, and I think we may finally get on board with snow tires here (ALSO MICHIGAN!)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #79
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
I took advantage of some slippery snowy-icy-slushy road opportunities tonight. The braking and acceleration with my Blizzaks was far better than I had hoped for. I dare say that this setup is better than my Toyota Sienna w/ studless technology Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 tires.

Now all I need is a good storm to settle in to really see what my Blizzak'd Nugget can do.

Hatch Nation #174
Old 12-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #80
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can't believe how well my Focus handled with the Blizzaks installed, also far better than I hoped for. I made a point to drive on residential streets that were hard packed and crunchy snow with ice at the stop signs and slushy connector streets and it handled great on both. As much as I don't want it, I can't wait for a major snowfall to see how the do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->