Focus vs Elantra Mileage Claims - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Real World reports on Fuelly

Fuelly.com shows reported "real world" mpg.

Elantra...29.7 Fuel cost over 5 years (10,000 miles@3.50 a gallon) $5892, base price of sedan manual no options $17,205
http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/el...gas%20l4/sedan

Focus...33.4 Fuel cost over 5 years (10,000 miles@3.50 a gallon) $5239, base price of sedan manual no options $17,295
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/gas%20l4/sedan

90 bucks well spent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
Fuzzy Logic
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91597
What I Drive: 2012 White Plat Met Tri Ti HB

FF Reputation: 2 Fuzzy Logic Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Well, we have acheived 29 mpg city on a total average, and this is pretty darn good IMO as its my wife, driving in a heavily congested Detroit metro area all day, every weekday...what we havent acheived yet is anywhere near 37 on the highway, but we drive 70 to 75 mph...and reading the above posts the EPA looks at about 48 mph average for highway...

I guess if I were an Elantra owner and I havd a car with some miles on it, I too would be upset if I couldnt get to even 35 mpg...
going 48 in a 65. i can only imagine the traffic / road rage someone would cause trying to get the best mpg.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Old TU
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87303
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Old TU Good Standing Member
I still own a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with 109,000 miles. I still get 19 MPG's around town which is close to the EPA. When the car was newer it would get 32 MPG's on trips. No where near what the Focus gets. I did drive a new Elantra before purchasing the Focus. It had an ECONO button on it. Maybe you have to push the button to get the EPA mileage? The Elantra is not a quick as the Focus that gets better MPG's. .
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #24
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
going 48 in a 65. i can only imagine the traffic / road rage someone would cause trying to get the best mpg.
First of all, not all highways are 65 MPH many are 55 MPH - highway does not mean interstate. Also you have to take into consideration that highways are often congested and you could be going 2 MPH in bumper to bumper traffic whatever the speed limit is. Often during commute hours there is a lot more stop and go in metro areas. You may be surprised if you actually log your average speed when traveling "highway", I know I was when I was using Scangauge on my Volvo. So I appreciate that EPA testing puts these cars to the conditions they may be actually driven under and tries to present realistic average driving conditions - running A/C, hills, slowdowns etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
I'm glad to hear Hyundai finally got caught. Most of their vehicles overstated the EPA mileage and Hyundai was forced by the EPA to lower the EPA mileage by up to 6 mpg, ouch!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
BOEING717
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106193
What I Drive: 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited Black

FF Reputation: 1 BOEING717 Good Standing Member
I am about to trade my 2011 Elantra Limited in for a Focus (can not stand lack of a manual) but have been happy with my MPG. I drive 60 miles to work on I-15 between Provo and Salt Lake City at 65 to 70MPH and in the spring and summer have seen my onboard show as high as 47.3MPG. I know they are not as accurate as testing with the tank but I do get around 40MPG even with fills often. My wife on the other hand averages about 33MPG on the same drive, though she is awful with jerky driving. That said the car is underpowered and not alot of fun to drive, so it is gone this month.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #27
mjd4277
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF4 View Post
I'm glad to hear Hyundai finally got caught. Most of their vehicles overstated the EPA mileage and Hyundai was forced by the EPA to lower the EPA mileage by up to 6 mpg, ouch!
Hyundai isn't the only one guilty of this. Mazda(and Ford partially,due to the equity stake they had at the time) did the exact same thing,so much so they the company offered to either buyback the vehicle or give the customer a portion of what they paid for the vehicle back. This is old news.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
My wife needed a bigger car and wanted all the options so she has a 2012 Elantra and with the Eco button on all the time she gets the mileage reported or higher. In north-central TN (just moved) where all the speed limits are 45mph and red lights are far between the car rocks. We still want the money though, because the new area we live in has lower speeds, stop signs and red lights exist every 1/4 mile, and I've seen a huge drop in mileage (25-50% drop) for all my cars and truck (all V8s) which is why I bought my Focus. I'm sure the Hyundai will suck too once we calculate a full tank here in GA.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Broffermoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106576
What I Drive: 2013 Silver S

FF Reputation: 1 Broffermoon Good Standing Member
Good mileage compared to ?

I have a 2013 Focus S (the dealer sticker is empty, no accessories) with 500 miles on it. I have not driven it nice, I drive it like I stole it! My first tank after what the dealership purchased, averaged 35.0 miles per gallon. My other car is a 2010 Camaro SS/RS. It is considerably faster, but certainly not the mileage, 20-22 MPG. I am delighted with the Focus. It is my work car and winter driver. The Camaro is well, a show car, not a daily driver. I have ridden in Hyundai products and they seem nice, but I really wanted to support American workers. (Work in Emporia, KS where they just shut down the Dolly Madison plant.)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
A lot of the foreign cars are actually made in America, for example the Elantra's are made in Alabama. So our people make the cars, but yeah the money goes overseas.

Bookmarks & Social Networks