$200 steeda short ram,custom short ram...priceless! - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #151
Focusalaska
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68329
What I Drive: 2009 Ebony SES

FF Reputation: 2 Focusalaska Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb05 View Post
Question:

What diameter filter should I get if I want to mod this like Zyghot and chhenscheid (keeping the tapered part of the tube toward the filter as to avoid tampering with the MAF)? 2.3 ST in case that matters...

I read through the entire thread a few times, and know what some people have used, but most people didn't install this way... Shouldn't make much difference, I just wanted to buy the right thing before I start tearing into it.
I am pretty shure the filter in the pic is a spectre filte.
Here is a link to the specifications of the filter, though from the pic i can't tell if it is a standard or tall filter.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.8136
Team Duratec #23
Official SES Registry #49
Tom's Tune, DDMTUNING 5000k HI/LO & FOGS, Switchback LED turn signals, AR103's gapped .54, FSWerks CAI. more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #152
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 62912
What I Drive: 05 Red ST

FF Reputation: 1 kgb05 Good Standing Member
^thanks. I just want to know the diameter of the intake pipe at the tapered end so I buy the right diameter filter... I guess I will prob just pull it apart, measure, run my prelude to town, buy a filter, and bring it home to install...
Old 10-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #153
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Trying to search 3" maf housings i came across this post and wanted to reply.

Quote:
^thanks. I just want to know the diameter of the intake pipe at the tapered end so I buy the right diameter filter... I guess I will prob just pull it apart, measure, run my prelude to town, buy a filter, and bring it home to install...
If you get the spectre filter i believe it comes with inserts to adapt it from like 2" up to 4" so as long as you get that filter "kit" you can cut up your stock maf section and put the correct inserts in to fit where you cut it.

The filter has these little rubber sleves, you put them in section at a time till you get the right fit and then clamp it all down.

The other end of the maf tube is already the correct size and slips right into that bendable OEM boot.

One thing to note though, is once your done with this setup the maf and filter just kinda sits in there. From the TB all the way to the filter tip nothing is connected. Its just kinda flopping around under the hood. I think this is why the steeda uses that wrap around metal support/shield thing.

This is pretty much the same setup as the "stealth CAI" thing but a little louder and IMO it looks better because you get to see the new filter and some of them look really nice under the hood.

Also its gets VERY loud once you go from the stock setup to this, the engine area starts to get really loud. When you start it up and when you shut it off you now hear this loud rushing of air suction thing that kinda sounds wrong because its so loud and noticable but its just the loud intake sound.

When i did this mod to my car everyone thought i had messed something up because the OEM resonator does such a good job of muffeling it out its a big change in the sound. Oce its ideling and during reving the engine it sounds good though.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #154
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks... I managed to do this upgrade back in March 2011 (did end up with the spectre filter)... unfortunately the car only lasted a few short months after that... we hit a cow!!! (more pics/info in link) now we bought a 2012 civic Si... pics linked in link...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273972

Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #155
sketchman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92116
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GT - .42/.48 T3 :)

FF Reputation: 1 sketchman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Planning on doing something about my "lifetime" filter soon. Great info in here, though I'm not understanding why most are going with a SRI instead of going the few extra steps (pieces of pipe) to go lower/colder.

Still great info. Thanks.

Lemme splain. No, is too much. Lemme sum up. The flow no know where I go.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #156
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

For me it was just due to being conservative in regards to water's access to the intake... and the fact that I could do the upgrade for the cost of the filter... It doesn't matter now... The ST is all smashed up. :(
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #157
sketchman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92116
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GT - .42/.48 T3 :)

FF Reputation: 1 sketchman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
... and the fact that I could do the upgrade for the cost of the filter... It doesn't matter now... The ST is all smashed up. :(
That's a great reason. Cost. I'm a perfectionist so I actually forked over for a K&N setup. For $173.08 shipped I think it's one of only 2 that's worth paying for over just rigging something up, though I'm not above rigging either.

Sucks about the car.

Lemme splain. No, is too much. Lemme sum up. The flow no know where I go.

Last edited by sketchman; 12-01-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #158
themanwithaquestion
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86771
What I Drive: 2005 ford focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 themanwithaquestion Good Standing Member
I actually considered this, but I dont like the idea of a SRI. I went ahead and forked out 220 for my FSWerks CAI, and love it! Though dodging puddles here in Fla can really become annoying.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #159
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

yeah, watch those puddles :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchman View Post
That's a great reason. Cost. I'm a perfectionist so I actually forked over for a K&N setup. For $173.08 shipped I think it's one of only 2 that's worth paying for over just rigging something up, though I'm not above rigging either.

Sucks about the car.
no doubt... we will miss the ST, but the new Si is nice too; the k24 doesn't have to sacrifice the torque like the 06-11 k20 Sis... just costing us WAY more, lol... We got a great deal on that 05 ST a couple years back... 29,000 miles... at that point it was the newest car I ever bought).

we may have waited on the new focus, but we had the impression no manual (w/clutch) would be offered...
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #160
ebruss45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111354
What I Drive: 2006 silver ZX3 hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ebruss45 Good Standing Member
what you did with the rubber hose that goes to the driver side radiator hose coming off the air silencer box right under the little filter gage that ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks