DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #241
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmandj View Post
The build date for my car is July 19 and I went to the dealer today and asked about it. They told me that unless there's a problem with the car they won't do the update. They said nothing comes up for my car aside and that it might be from some factories and not others.
I can't say that I have a problem but the car is sluggish pulling out. You really need to step on the gas more than I thought you would. I wouldn't want to take chances making a left with cars coming towards me just in case it decides to be slow responding. I was kind of hoping to get this update done anyways and see if it helps with that. I figure what could it hurt to do it regardless.
I did have issues with my transmission; weird noises, RPM flares on deceleration, etc. I told my dealer and they said "That's how these transmissions work." Took a call to regional customer service to get it done, but it runs so much better now! That's why I wrote them that email today. They need to know that the update works!

Just yesterday I was stuck behind a semi and I went to pass it in the left lane (so did the car behind me... who didn't use his turn signal...) Before the PCM update, I probably would have gotten the middle finger for going too slow - but after the TSB? Damn, this car can accelerate when it needs to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #242
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
I don't understand why dealers haven't got with the times and think of these updates like updates on personal computers. These computers are in cars now. It should be automatic to load these updates when a car is covered especially under a TSB. Everyone should know by now about the poor transmission programming on the older build dates. It's not like they aren't getting paid for their time. They even give them time for the trans relearn process on this one.
It is to the point that I will try again another time. Perhaps when I got the call from CS I did not push hard enough. I thought that the transmission is quieting down (and getting better) but then when I got home, I can hear the grinding noise clearly again. I also have a flare when I slow the car down and it goes into first gear, it goes to 1500RPM automatically. Sometimes, when I make sharp turns, it slips than engages back for some reason (flaring probably). One more thing is that the transmission is either responsive, or sluggish. Do not forget about the shudder, as well.

I am considering in the future either paying the dealer or figure out a way to do this myself.

Last edited by danyall2010; 11-30-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added content
Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #243
danyall2010
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89399
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 danyall2010 Good Standing Member
Also, I agree with csvt2060 in that they need to do a recall for this. If the transmission is sluggish in certain situations, it can be a safety issue. I would get the pre 8/13 cars into the shop and get it updated now before they start losing customers and you are looking at him!

I will be more than willing to give Ford as much of a chance as possible. My paitence is excellent. By the way, I love the car and I give it praise. I think the fact that the 2012 Focus is built shows that Ford can change direction and build a better car. When I paid $24,500 for a compact car (when I could of gotten a midsize car), it better be good all around.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #244
chantspel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SFE Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 chantspel Good Standing Member
I got the update done today (haven't picked the car up yet tho).

I'm anxious to see if it improved slow speed driving (stop and go). This was my biggest compliant about the car. I told them on th phone I heard about an update and wanted it applied. Guy says you need to bring it in so we can test it... Yada yada. Was expecting to have to fight to get it done but I got the call today that they applied the update. To quote the service rep "yeah turns out there is a RECALL on the specific problem you were describing so we followed the tsb to update it."

Goodluck to everyone else trying to get this done. If they hadn't I was going to say since ford is applying this software to all new focuses off the line why shouldn't I have it??

It's ridiculous that they give people the run around. I'll post back once I drive it again
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #245
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Is anyone aware whether or not this TSB update will affect the milage? My 2012 gets worse milage than the 09 Focus loaner (which is a conventional 5speed!) we are driving after we got rear ended. My trans is sluggish and hovers arounf 2600 to 2800 RPMs going 70 to 75...SEEMS VERY HIGH, as the 5 speed 09 focus loaner hangs out around 2400 to 2500 at these speeds....I am going to call the dealer today while it is there getting body work done to see if it can be flashed...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #246
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
question for u all: i had the tsb update done and am very please w/ the transmission's performance -- huge improvement from before.

I do, however, seem to be getting poorer gas mileage. perhaps, unknowingly i've changed MY driving habits due to a more responsive car (transmission) but i don't believe it to be so.

could the update adversely affect gas mileage, in your opinion?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #247
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Is anyone aware whether or not this TSB update will affect the milage? My 2012 gets worse milage than the 09 Focus loaner (which is a conventional 5speed!) we are driving after we got rear ended. My trans is sluggish and hovers arounf 2600 to 2800 RPMs going 70 to 75...SEEMS VERY HIGH, as the 5 speed 09 focus loaner hangs out around 2400 to 2500 at these speeds....I am going to call the dealer today while it is there getting body work done to see if it can be flashed...
Re-flashing won't change the cruising RPM (or fuel consumption) at 70-75mph. If you want better highway gas mileage, you'll just have to slow down. This is because they changed the final drive ratio for better low-speed gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post

Ford said the re-flash wouldn't change the gas mileage, but I think that's a lie. It doesn't shift up as early as it used to - arguably it would use more fuel, but it gets you to speed faster, so it kinda works out the same in the end. It hasn't changed my mileage noticeably.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #248
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I see many of you, from reading this thread, have problems w/ ur dealerships. I have to give a plug here for Bailey ford in Malone NY, where i bought mine.. The sales dept and service dept have been great and very accomodating... giving me a loner when needed and making appts convienent to my schedule.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #249
sprcoop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91034
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Met, 201A, Sport, 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 sprcoop Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
question for u all: i had the tsb update done and am very please w/ the transmission's performance -- huge improvement from before.

I do, however, seem to be getting poorer gas mileage. perhaps, unknowingly i've changed MY driving habits due to a more responsive car (transmission) but i don't believe it to be so.

The way the shift pattern changed in my wife's car after the TSB would definitely affect the gas mileage if you weren't careful. But... if you just ease on the gas it still will shift very early and still keep up with traffic. Just a fraction more pressure and it will shift at 2500 + and be quite sporty. I just have to use a little self control if I want maximum mileage out of it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #250
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
well mine is in for other problems plus the TSB update BUT....it brought in a sheet with the full TSB on it and he said he wouldnt look at it. He didnt achknowledge it when I tried to show him and point out how I had the same issues. He told me to jsut tell him my problems so I did in detail...and I mean detail. After that all he wrote down on the service sheet was rough idle/ vibration...I was like wtf. What about my hesitation and shuddering when acceleration and decelerating, RPM flares, and bad jerking at low speeds. I was very thrown off about how he said he wouldn't look at my sheet. I fear they will just say its normal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->