FUELLY of each of us - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
fanoftheliving
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88586
What I Drive: 2012 silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 fanoftheliving Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
Mik Ohki
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29868
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SE w. SFE

FF Reputation: 1 Mik Ohki Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoftheliving View Post
Is that calculated or based on the average readout on the dashboard? The reason I ask is that my car is incredibly inaccurate. On my last all highway trip the average MPG was reporting 40.2, but hand calculated came out to 35.8 - which is nowhere close. My experience has been that the average MPG readout is inaccurate.
You need to reset the meter in the car occasionally, I usually do it on every tank. Fuelly calculates the same as you would by hand and I would imagine weighs those averages based on gallons consumed and miles traveled, so a 400 mile trip based average would count something like 4 times more than if you filled up after only 100 miles.

That is just my guess. I also think I read Fuelly bases it's number on only the last ten fill ups, but I am not positive about that. I'll look at the FAQ later.
1987 Light Blue 3.8L V6 Thunderbird (RIP 6/17/01)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
fanoftheliving
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Ohki View Post
You need to reset the meter in the car occasionally, I usually do it on every tank. Fuelly calculates the same as you would by hand and I would imagine weighs those averages based on gallons consumed and miles traveled, so a 400 mile trip based average would count something like 4 times more than if you filled up after only 100 miles.

That is just my guess. I also think I read Fuelly bases it's number on only the last ten fill ups, but I am not positive about that. I'll look at the FAQ later.
I am sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I do reset it with every gas tank. For the same full gas tank, I calculate by hand and compare that to the dashboard readout. I noticed that your fuelly said 0.0 MPG, so I was wondering how you were reporting 44MPG, what method you were using. My dashboard routinely reports 40MPG, but the reality is significantly lower sometimes by as much as 10%.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Mik Ohki
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoftheliving View Post
I am sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I do reset it with every gas tank. For the same full gas tank, I calculate by hand and compare that to the dashboard readout. I noticed that your fuelly said 0.0 MPG, so I was wondering how you were reporting 44MPG, what method you were using. My dashboard routinely reports 40MPG, but the reality is significantly lower sometimes by as much as 10%.
My Fuelly says 38.0 mpg right now. When I have seen higher numbers they were not sustained through my entire tank because of rushing in the morning, oversleeping and a long commute can really kill your mpg.

I have gotten a few decimals above 40 on tanks, if you look at past tanks. Disregard the high mpg of 48+ as that has to do with the previous tank being overfilled and the cutoff on the pump being non operational. The previous tank also recorded very low economy. Overall my fuel usage and mileage recordings have been consistent for the last 8000+ miles.

As for the 44 mpg, that has been via dash for a portion of the tank, so you are right to call me on that. Until I can maintain that for an entire tank, and reproduce via fuelly, I suppose it isn't conclusive. Hell you can get the mpg up just coasting down hill.

I generally don't fill up until I hit less than 70 miles to empty, so my tanks should reflect higher efficiency when driving home and taking my time, and lower efficiency when rushing to work in the morning. Always using cruise control as much as possible.

With that said I am working on improving my driving habits. At the very least I was greeted with this after my last fuel up, several hours ago.

Lets see what my next tank says in 3 or 4 days. Perhaps I'll just start filling up more often as well. I probably shouldn't be letting it go that low...
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Why would the dash readout be inaccurate? It knows how much fuel has been used roughly if the car is on a level surface, and it knows how far you travel in the measured time. Any inaccuracies in the fuel level due to non-level surfaces would average out in time, it should be pretty accurate. The information on the display is a current average from the last reset while fuelly/manual calculations are based on the last fill-up.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
Mik Ohki
Focus Enthusiast

If one were predisposed to it, the dash readout is more easily manipulated based on when you reset it last.

My trip 1 I reset more or less every tank, and shows recent economy.

My trip 2 I havent reset in a very long time, and is very close to what feully says.

I guess inaccurate is not the appropriate word to use.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
fanoftheliving
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
Why would the dash readout be inaccurate? It knows how much fuel has been used roughly if the car is on a level surface, and it knows how far you travel in the measured time. Any inaccuracies in the fuel level due to non-level surfaces would average out in time, it should be pretty accurate. The information on the display is a current average from the last reset while fuelly/manual calculations are based on the last fill-up.
I ALWAYS reset the average mpg meter in the car when I fill up the car, at the same time calculating the average mpg manually (my fillups take a very long time). They should theoretically be very close, but in my car they are not. It's annoying, I wish the dash was more accurate, but at least in my case it is way off, by as much as 10%. Sometimes it is more accurate. I have not been able to figure out under what circumstances. I thought for a while that it was because some gas stations will pump a little bit more gas in after the pump clicks off. But the last 2 gas tanks I made sure this was not the case.

Bottom line is personally I would not trust the "Distance to E" on the dashboard UNLESS my manually calculated average MPG was identical to the average MPG on the dashboard since last reset. There may be something else going on that I am not aware of. If I figure something out, I will let everyone know.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
I haven't been using my Fuelly account (only just added my latest fill-up) but here is my info from my www.ecomodder.com account.

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
One thing is for sure, if you drive with the fuel gauge on E for an extended period of time, you will run out of gas regardless of what the time to empty states on the trip meter. I have found in my case that my manual calculations have matched perfectly with the average MPG on the trip meter. The miles to empty calculation is a bit off though since every time I run it down to 2 or 3 miles left there is never the same amount of gas left in the tank but usually its about half gallon that's left in the tank. So while I feel safe running it down to zero, I'm usually at the pump right when it hits zero or a few miles before zero.

I finally got the focus on the highway for long trip this past weekend and was totally impressed with the avg MPG. My outbound trip included a driving distance of approximately 350 miles and there was a two hour traffic jam that we went through. I made it on one tank of gas easily and averaged around 36 MPG and the miles to empty was around 65 at the end. The weird thing was the trip back average was 39 MPG (no traffic jam) but the time to empty got to zero prematurely and I panicked to get to a nearby gas station 45 minutes from home. As it turns out, the pump clicked off at only 7.6 gallons on my previous fill-up and I didn't realize it clicked off way too early. From now on I'm going to make it click off twice to make sure it is filled up or pay attention to gallons going in a little more.

I stopped at another BP station (I always use BP) and after filling it up, now the distance to empty jumped to 480 miles! I also averaged 42 MPG on the 45 minute drive home. Wow that was really impressive. Unfortunately, I'm back to city driving so I won't know for sure if I was really getting 42 MPG on the highway for hundreds of miles. Either way I'm very happy with the mileage on this car.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
Gatorgibson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91669
What I Drive: 2012 HB Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Gatorgibson Good Standing Member

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.