Pro-Clip Phone Mount - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
Gonzachus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85777
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Gonzachus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All you need to buy is the mount that goes on the car. I attached the much cheaper Motorolla mount to the pro clip bracket and I think my old Droid looks pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,430, Level 21
Points: 1,430, Level: 21 Points: 1,430, Level: 21 Points: 1,430, Level: 21
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 5 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I want to get the left pillar Proclip mount for my GPS. I've uses a center mounted Proclip mount on my 2006 Dodge magnum and my 2011 Fiesta. Don't really like the center mount on the Focus though. Might work okay for something slimmer like a phone, but for a GPS, I think it blocks the vent too much. Only problem with the left pillar mount is that to plug it in to the 12V power source you would have to run the cord somehow all the way to the center socket. So any one know a good way to maybe hard wire another 12V outlet? I was thinking of putting one some where under the dash on the left side. Like near the OBD port. Then I could just run the GPS cord down and plug it in when I need to.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Dethpickle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86276
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 Dethpickle Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
I want to get the left pillar Proclip mount for my GPS. I've uses a center mounted Proclip mount on my 2006 Dodge magnum and my 2011 Fiesta. Don't really like the center mount on the Focus though. Might work okay for something slimmer like a phone, but for a GPS, I think it blocks the vent too much. Only problem with the left pillar mount is that to plug it in to the 12V power source you would have to run the cord somehow all the way to the center socket. So any one know a good way to maybe hard wire another 12V outlet? I was thinking of putting one some where under the dash on the left side. Like near the OBD port. Then I could just run the GPS cord down and plug it in when I need to.

I'm using that mount. I like it a lot. I'm using it with my iPhone with the integrated dock with a removable cable. I bought a 10' black usb to ADC cable which turned out to be perfect.

Ten feet will go down the weather stripping on the door and under the lower dash. Then, you can just tuck it under the center console's lower edge back to the arm rest. Since I've got a titanium, there is no cable-way into that compartment, so, I just come over the side (you can see where the cable is pinched in the photo). It works fine. It's out of sight except for someone sitting behind me (which never happens). I was thinking that there was probably access outside of the armrest bucket from inside if you fished it, but I've been too lazy to do that. This has been plenty adequate for me and it's never in the way.

So, I use usb, but once you're in the armrest, there is usb and a accessory port (I think).

Old 11-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
Love your setup, might do the same!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Dethpickle
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsleuth View Post
Love your setup, might do the same!
You know... there is only one minor issue I have with it. If you have the phone directly connected AND blue-toothed in, the phone needs to pick which audio out it's going to use. There is no ranked preference, just who connected last.

Given how wonky MFT is about starting up, it's really a crap shoot. I would like iOS x+1 to let you rank those options like you can with wifi nets on OSX.

USB gives you graphics on MFT and is a little more responsive. Bluetooth doesn't give you graphics, but allows you to continue using the iPhone screen controls (useful for rewind 30 seconds). So, there are merits to both.

I spend most of my time on an hour one-way commute listening to books. So, I'm looking to charge my phone and being able to occasionally rewind. The ideal way would be to get power from usb and use bluetooth. I initially tried to get a 6" male to female usb cable and cut the data connectors - didn't work. It wouldn't charge. But it looks like someone has commercially solved this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/CBLUSBCS1M/

I haven't gotten this yet, but it looks ideal. I think I'll just wait until my next macsales purchase of a hard drive for my laptop to roll it in for the shipping cost. I hate paying as much in shipping as things cost.

But, ya know. It really isn't a big deal to kick it over to Music and select the appropriate connector - sync or dock connector.

Last edited by Dethpickle; 11-27-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Me fail english? That's unpossible. I fixed the retardedness I just wrote.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #26
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
Good to know, thanks for the update!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
bkoester
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53453
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bkoester Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethpickle View Post
You know... there is only one minor issue I have with it. If you have the phone directly connected AND blue-toothed in, the phone needs to pick which audio out it's going to use. There is no ranked preference, just who connected last.

Given how wonky MFT is about starting up, it's really a crap shoot. I would like iOS x+1 to let you rank those options like you can with wifi nets on OSX.

USB gives you graphics on MFT and is a little more responsive. Bluetooth doesn't give you graphics, but allows you to continue using the iPhone screen controls (useful for rewind 30 seconds). So, there are merits to both.

I spend most of my time on an hour one-way commute listening to books. So, I'm looking to charge my phone and being able to occasionally rewind. The ideal way would be to get power from usb and use bluetooth. I initially tried to get a 6" male to female usb cable and cut the data connectors - didn't work. It wouldn't charge. But it looks like someone has commercially solved this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/CBLUSBCS1M/

I haven't gotten this yet, but it looks ideal. I think I'll just wait until my next macsales purchase of a hard drive for my laptop to roll it in for the shipping cost. I hate paying as much in shipping as things cost.

But, ya know. It really isn't a big deal to kick it over to Music and select the appropriate connector - sync or dock connector.
Why not just get one of these:

usb-car-charger by Techy-Hub, on Flickr
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
Dethpickle
Focus Enthusiast

Clever... and it would save the space of a coiled up cord, just there for the switch.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
KevvyMcD
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90367
What I Drive: 12' Sterling Gray Metallic Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 KevvyMcD Good Standing Member
I just got my Pro-clip mount for the right vent. I got it for my sirius radio and I love how it looks/fits. Just beware, because as you can see the clearances with the dash were super tight, needed to use a different axillary headphone cord just so I could plug it in and not use the crappy FM transmitter. I thought I would include some pictures so you guys could see how it looks. Oh and before any of you say any thing about my dirty floor mats, don't worry they are weather tech mats, I'm a PE on a construction site almost everyday so they get dirty quick.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #30
lordzero
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32469
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 lordzero Good Standing Member
So I went and bought the mount for the left center vent with 12v cord. Trying to find a good way to power the thing. Didn't need to plug it into the USB because a) I have only one in the console (SE trim) b) WP7 doesn't support playing audio over USB, so I just use my Zune HD which I keep in the console.

Anyone have any good ideas of a place to grab power from that both looks good (so close the the center console) and doesn't require taking apart the car?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.