How well does your Focus drive in snow? - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #61
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89496
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium Focus HB

FF Reputation: 3 NorthernFocalPoint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hmmm - what tire did you get and what size?
I put General Altimax Arctics in 195/65R15 (vs. the 215/50R17's all-season Contis they came with) and had no issues in the sloppy wet snow we got this week in Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak404 View Post
My new focus was terrible on the first snow fall of the year (roads still warm) with snow tires.I think part of it may be the tires aren't aggressive enough and sacrifice traction to make them quieter! On last focus I had cheap snow tires that were very noisy but my car was like a 4x4! They were Goodyear Nordics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #62
zak404
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89335
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Se Sedan Sport

FF Reputation: 1 zak404 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFocalPoint View Post
I put General Altimax Arctics in 195/65R15 (vs. the 215/50R17's all-season Contis they came with) and had no issues in the sloppy wet snow we got this week in Ottawa.
The same size you have but Goodyear Nordic track
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #63
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Ahhh - I'll be honest (not trying to poo-poo Cdn Tires special model) but I haven't really heard good things about that model - very mixed reviews. I think they're made more for deep snow more than anything else but there's a reason (other than so that you can'y price match with competitors) why you can't find this model anywhere else including Goodyear (I think they used to sell this somewhere in Europe 4-5 years ago).

The previous "Nordic tracs" were I think the same as the old BF Goodrich Winter Slalom and were pretty good/reliable (I think this is what you had on your previous car) and I found the "Ice tracs" worked well for me on a Sentra I had.

Quote:
The same size you have but Goodyear Nordic track
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #64
zak404
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Ahhh - I'll be honest (not trying to poo-poo Cdn Tires special model) but I haven't really heard good things about that model - very mixed reviews. I think they're made more for deep snow more than anything else but there's a reason (other than so that you can'y price match with competitors) why you can't find this model anywhere else including Goodyear (I think they used to sell this somewhere in Europe 4-5 years ago).

The previous "Nordic tracs" were I think the same as the old BF Goodrich Winter Slalom and were pretty good/reliable (I think this is what you had on your previous car) and I found the "Ice tracs" worked well for me on a Sentra I had.
Well I wish I had them this year compared to the "high end tires" I have now unless it is just the difference in the new focus'
Last year we had more snow than in the last twenty years and more ice,they are still working great on the old focus as it was handed down to my daughter.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #65
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Did you old ones look like this:

or this:

and your new ones look like this right?

Quote:
Well I wish I had them this year compared to the "high end tires" I have now unless it is just the difference in the new focus'
Last year we had more snow than in the last twenty years and more ice,they are still working great on the old focus as it was handed down to my daughter.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #66
zak404
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The bottom pic is what I had. My new ones are arctic claw TXI's quiet but not good in snow or ice. The old one look and work like scoops!I recommended this tires to two other people who loved them and thought that they cars were like tanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #67
NorthernFocalPoint
Focus Enthusiast

Ohhhhh, you confused me there. I heard that the Goodyear Nordics weren't great but not terrible but yes the Arctic Claws are pretty bad (but oddly, the most common complaint I've heard is that they're too noisy and not quiet at all)!

Quote:
The bottom pic is what I had. My new ones are arctic claw TXI's quiet but not good in snow or ice. The old one look and work like scoops!I recommended this tires to two other people who loved them and thought that they cars were like tanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #68
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
For those wonderring about the tpms warning when you switch to rims without sensors i had my steelies and winter tires put on and within 10 minutes i got the tpms warning on the dash. And I still had all 4 of the original rims/tires with the sensors intstalled in the hatch area with me! Maybe there is an antenna in the front of the car and because those tires where now in the hatch area it got upset?
BTW the warning is no that bad at all. It sounds a warning tone for a couple of seconds, the flashes the tire stmbol on the right for about 30 seconds then it goes solid. I do not find it distracting enough to do anything about it.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #69
friction
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91845
What I Drive: 2012 Blaze Yellow SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 friction Good Standing Member
Are the stock 17" continentals decent in the snow?

Im not buying snow tires. Even though we had a "huge" snow storm last year in our region, we thought about it and there were literally only 2 days where we actually had any trouble getting around. They are good about plowing and salting the hell out of the roads here.

And I had some crap all season tires on 2 of our cars, one of which is lowered, and made it 45 miles home in the middle of the "worst" storm last season (only took 4 hours!) and didnt get stuck until I hit the unplowed streets of our neighborhood and was plowing snow uphill with my bumper.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #70
DarinS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88257
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium hatch, BMW E30 335iC

FF Reputation: 1 DarinS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Are the stock 17" continentals decent in the snow?
This is what I'm wondering too. I hope to have some time this weekend to head up to the mountains and play around in the sno-park.

Bookmarks & Social Networks