Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
Zach man
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91175
What I Drive: 2002 silver zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Zach man Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabatino31 View Post
I have this exact problem in my '01 ZX3, I get up to highway speeds and i get this kind of clunking noise coming from the drivers side, i even asked my dad for any ideas as to what it could be seeing as he usually knows if i don't and he's just as stumped as I am.
well if its waiting for you to get up to highway speeds... then you need to check your tires AND alignment... i had this issue with my 02 zx5... the alignment was/is off, and it chews the tires out of the outside causing the vibration... you could also check the wheel bearings (all of them) as i have also had this issue...

again, try checking your alignment and wheel bearings if the tread is okay (check particular on the outside and inside edges of the tires of scalloping... that will created an insane wobble/vibration/hum at 55mph and plus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Just spoke to my servive manager on the phone, and he sounded like an overexcited kid as he broke the news that vibration and noise was gone.Apparently the part number for the new bearings is the same than the old one ,but they come from a different supplier. If the manager was happy ,I was far from jumping of joy.Today is exactly 20 weeks since I bought the car.I lost my summer ,two road trips and pretty much all respect for Ford.I was also promised an expensive extended warranty but apparently I will need to wait for that.

I haven't driven the car yet ,so I can only rely on what the service guy said.So will only be able to judge tomorrow once the car is back.The only good think about waiting that long ,is that I had more than enough time to think of what I was gonna do.And tomorrow evening,I'm shopping for a car.Still divided between Mazda and Hyundai ,but the one who will give the best deal and will have a car in stock will be my choice.

Will tell you my new ride before getting out of here.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88737
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titanium Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 cbaldree Good Standing Member
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem. We speculate on what it could be. The dealer replaced the front bearings a coupleof months ago. I wonder if he used the new bearings or the same bearings that came with the vehicle from the factory. Does anyone else have a problem like mine>
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldree View Post
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem. We speculate on what it could be. The dealer replaced the front bearings a coupleof months ago. I wonder if he used the new bearings or the same bearings that came with the vehicle from the factory. Does anyone else have a problem like mine>
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Go on record call Ford CS and report it!! This is so it will be covered when/if they find a cure.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.
There are more out there having this problem than I ever realized. For a long while I thought I was the only one. Be sure you let Ford CS know that the problem is not resolved. I hear that it is a bearing problem and the other manufacture of the bearings is not having the problems, which is why it is not a universal problem.

Regardless, FORD is losing sales over it!!!

Last edited by jimmyt; 11-22-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #27
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by standard View Post
I would have Ford replace the front right wheel bearing as well. Sometimes bearings are hard to pinpoint the sound and sound like they're coming from opposite idk why. A good test is to put load on it at speed, so like when no one is around at 70mph swerve somewhat aggressively both ways.
Tire pressure was the 1st thing checked. I run 35 to 37 PSI cold. If you still have the noise it has not been solved. My dealer hears it but FORD will not tell them how to solve it.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
Go on record call Ford CS and report it!! This is so it will be covered when/if they find a cure.
They know and the TSB was suppose to be printed out a month ago.I don't know why they are waiting so long.If I had't called the dealership twice a week in the past month ,I pretty sure they never would have ordered those bearings like I've been asking for months.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem.
Hey cbaldree,

Please PM me your info (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) and I'll escalate your issue.

Thanks!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

cbaldree, please keep those of us that are in this thread apprised of your success with a resolution.

PS: I sent Natasha, with FORD, my info and never anything heard back. I have been calling Ford not the dealership about every two to three weeks, since early August, hoping for a resolution. The dealerships cannot do anything until FORD lets them know what to do. Still waiting......

Bookmarks & Social Networks