2012 oil change message - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Natasha,

Here are 2 posts from seperate owners that have over 10,000 miles without seeing the oil change message. I have 9,800 miles on mine now with no message so I am getting close.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...4&postcount=32

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...1&postcount=49
Thanks for the links. I reached out to both posters. If yours doesn't light, when you set up the service appointment, please let your dealer know as well.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #22
Jim in Mich
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88682
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Jim in Mich Good Standing Member
Wouldn't it be nice if it gave you a percentage of oil life left like all GM cars! Also I sure miss the instantaneous MPG like on the GM cars. While I'm at it I might as well whine about no power plug on the dash, running you GPS cord down the middle of the car to the arm rest is a pain. Also what I wouldn't give for just one more stinkin' knob to tune the radio, at least I haven't got the My Touch that seems lock up and you lose control of everything!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
OK Natasha, I let my dealer know so they can report it to ford. Whether they do or not that's another story.

Also, there is a thread starting on blueovalnews with another Focus member over 10K miles without the message. His name is GaryG and he is very active hypermiler.

Seems like we are starting to see a pretty strong trend here as people are getting more miles on their Focus. There needs to be an investegation opened by Ford to figure this out since it's impossible for dealers to diagnose with such long periods between oil changes.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
OK Natasha, I let my dealer know so they can report it to ford. Whether they do or not that's another story.
All dealers have resources to document issues such as these, and they are reviewed for trends, so I am glad you brought it to their attention. Thanks!

~Natasha

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #25
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
All dealers have resources to document issues such as these, and they are reviewed for trends, so I am glad you brought it to their attention. Thanks!

~Natasha
Natasha, while you are at it, can you please explain the logic if not being able to access the "remaining oil life" % by any means? I gather even the "vehicle health report" does not use the oil life monitor to estimate next service date. Some of us may prefer to change oil when the monitor is at, say 30%, which can't be done in a Focus.

I'm on the fence as to buying a Focus or Cruze and in this case, what Chevy makes absolutely simple, Ford makes impossible.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Natasha, while you are at it, can you please explain the logic if not being able to access the "remaining oil life" % by any means? I gather even the "vehicle health report" does not use the oil life monitor to estimate next service date. Some of us may prefer to change oil when the monitor is at, say 30%, which can't be done in a Focus.

I'm on the fence as to buying a Focus or Cruze and in this case, what Chevy makes absolutely simple, Ford makes impossible.
Oil life percent is not a feature offered on the Focus, but if you decide to change the oil prior to the reminder coming on, there are steps listed in the Owner's Guide for resetting the system.

Any other questions that I can answer to help with your decision? I want to see you in a Focus.

~Natasha

Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #27
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Oil life percent is not a feature offered on the Focus, but if you decide to change the oil prior to the reminder coming on, there are steps listed in the Owner's Guide for resetting the system.

Any other questions that I can answer to help with your decision? I want to see you in a Focus.

~Natasha
Thanks for the response - I gather there is no particular logic to not having this feature. It says something about how Ford views its customers when they deploy tons of technology to enable them to verbally call up a play list but prohibit them from accessing really useful information the car has on board. This is supposed to be a "driver's car", right?

If I can get over this, and the MFT/Sync and 6 speed transmission issues, and the unavailability of Sirius on a non-MFT SEL, I could be a buyer. That is a bit to get over, though.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response - I gather there is no particular logic to not having this feature. It says something about how Ford views its customers when they deploy tons of technology to enable them to verbally call up a play list but prohibit them from accessing really useful information the car has on board. This is supposed to be a "driver's car", right?

If I can get over this, and the MFT/Sync and 6 speed transmission issues, and the unavailability of Sirius on a non-MFT SEL, I could be a buyer. That is a bit to get over, though.
It is simplified by lighting with ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON at 5% of the oil life remains, and OIL CHANGE REQUIRED at 0%.

As for the transmission, many initial concerns were simply customers getting used to the dual-clutch, which has different sounds and sensations than a basic automatic.

I hope that eases your worries.

~Natasha

Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
It is simplified by lighting with ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON at 5% of the oil life remains, and OIL CHANGE REQUIRED at 0%.

As for the transmission, many initial concerns were simply customers getting used to the dual-clutch, which has different sounds and sensations than a basic automatic.

I hope that eases your worries.

~Natasha
Natasha, it's great that you and Ford monitor these websites and patiently try to help owners.

Honestly though, these responses don't help. I expect it's true that some of the DCT complaints were because it behaves "differently", but for most it was resolved only when Ford decided to fix it with a TSB. This problem should have been so obvious to the engineering staff before any sales occurred it can't help but raise concerns about what other issues were also ignored or missed and may cause problems as miles accumulate.

As to the oil life monitor, I'd bet if you polled owners a good majority would like to have the option of seeing how things were going before being surprised by the "change oil soon" light. If this were the case, you wouldn't be answering questions about whether or not the things were working.

I'm not saying the Focus isn't a good car, I'm just saying it's not without its issues.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Natasha, it's great that you and Ford monitor these websites and patiently try to help owners.

Honestly though, these responses don't help. I expect it's true that some of the DCT complaints were because it behaves "differently", but for most it was resolved only when Ford decided to fix it with a TSB.

As to the oil life monitor, I'd bet if you polled owners a good majority would like to have the option of seeing how things were going before being surprised by the "change oil soon" light.
Thank you for the feedback, though I am sorry you feel my responses were unhelpful. If you would like to submit your request for the oil life percent to Ford engineers, you can do so at FordSocial.

Let me know if you decide to go with the Focus!

~Natasha

Bookmarks & Social Networks