HOW TO: Intermittent Wiper Problem Fix. AKA TSB Fix. - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #71
5alarm
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91632
What I Drive: 2003 Beige SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 5alarm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChaos View Post
My '03 ZTW just failed safety inspection for this problem.
It occurs when you just want to have the wiper do one 'swipe' of the windshield - works normal all other times.
Guessing its a relay issue from what I read here.
Just try the relay swap as described above. That is the quick fix!

Good luck. Your "inspector" must have been a Hard !
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #72
Gerry05
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64429
What I Drive: 2005 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Gerry05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Gerry05,

The wiper motor is the same for 2000-2007 model year Focuses. Here is the link to Ford Parts to find yours.

~Natasha
thanks for your help
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #73
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry05 View Post
thanks for your help
My pleasure. Have a great day!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #74
maloneski
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95214
What I Drive: 2002, ZX3

Points 159, Level 3
Points: 159, Level: 3 Points: 159, Level: 3 Points: 159, Level: 3
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 maloneski Good Standing Member
i just replaced the relay on mine and fixed the issue but now im getting a strange clicking noise from under the dash when it starts and stops on intermittent that it never did before the replacement. any idea what that might be? im thinking it could be a defective relay?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #75
mattspencer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86721
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 mattspencer Good Standing Member
I had the "park" function not working for a long time on my car. Reading this, I was a little unclear what people meant by "park" so here is what mine did. If you hit the wiper lever down, it should do one cycle of the wipers up then down, and stop in the full down position. This should be one quick push down, you shouldn't have to hold it down or anything. What mine did was if you hit the lever down, it would move only as long as you were holding it down. When you let go, the wipers would stop wherever they were when you let go. Also, if you had them set to intermittent, low speed, or high speed, and you switched them out of that position to the "off" position, the wipers would stop wherever they were.

Finally, and maybe unrelated, when I drove at higher speeds (45 mph +), with the wiper set to intermittent, they would go all the way down in the cycle, then the wind would pull them up a little. Maybe an inch at 45 mph, and 3-4 inches at 75 mph. This was perhaps the most annoying part for me, since I would have to then either deal with the wipers being in my way of seeing the road, or manually push down and hold the lever until they cycled and held all the way down. Again, I don't know if this is related to my "park" function, but I will find out later today when I drive it at 65 mph and see what happens.

I did change my relay and it fixed the "park" function as described in the top paragraph. I found out that the dealership wanted $14, Autozone/Advance/O'Reily's wanted $13-15, and NAPA had one for $8.96 or about $14. There are also tons of places to go online to get them for much cheaper, and I'm sure you could get one from a junkyard (although it might be bad, or a soon to go bad original) for much cheaper. I went with the cheap NAPA one and paid $9.70 with tax. It is made in china and part number MPE AR606SB. They list it as having a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, hopefully it lasts longer than that.

I have a sedan and did not have the rear wiper relay installed on mine. I was able to change it with only removing the small OBD door, and did it by hand without pliers. BTW, I did see how the car would function without the relay installed at all, and the "park" function did not work, and going to any of the intermittent settings did not work. Only low and high speed worked.

I hope this clears up the "park" function a little bit and helps everyone drive a little more peacefully and safer.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #76
mattspencer
Focus Rookie

In response to maloneski above: i just replaced the relay on mine and fixed the issue but now im getting a strange clicking noise from under the dash when it starts and stops on intermittent that it never did before the replacement. any idea what that might be? im thinking it could be a defective relay?

The clicking sound is the relay working. You may be able to find a different relay that isn't as loud, but in my experience most relays make some sound. I know when I turn on my rear defrost I can hear that relay clicking on. Just the way it is. If you don't know, a relay is a small switch that is turned on and off by an energized magnet inside the relay unit. Think of it as an electronic part flipping on and off your light switch in your house. BTW, my replacement relay makes a clicking sound, but at least it works!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #77
mattspencer
Focus Rookie

Fixing the relay, and the park function, also fixed the above mentioned upward drift of the wipers at higher speeds. It seems that the park function gives the wipers a hard stop at the bottom, and without that hard stop they just drift. You can hear the relay clicking on and off when the wiper is moving in the intermittent speeds.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #78
n2omike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 69524
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZTW Wagon 2.3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 n2omike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChaos View Post
My '03 ZTW just failed safety inspection for this problem.
It occurs when you just want to have the wiper do one 'swipe' of the windshield - works normal all other times.
Guessing its a relay issue from what I read here.

<--it may say I'm a rookie, but I've changed the alternator on it & that is some trick.
My 04 ZTW did the EXACT same thing. Everything worked, except when you pushed it down for one swipe. The wipers would stop wherever you let go. It was an intermittent problem at first, and only did it sometimes.
The wipers would also drift upwards sometimes at high speeds.
Installing the new relay fixed it!

I used an extra, extra long pair of needle nosed pliers, and swapped the relays out in maybe a minute.

Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #79
quacking05focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64670
What I Drive: 2005 Infra Red Focus ST

Points 411, Level 8
Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 quacking05focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thumbs up

Old thread I know but just to update with my experience on my 05 st - the intermittent wiper feature hasn't worked for awhile now (maybe a year...it doesn't rain much where I live). Bought a replacement wiper switch first and that didn't do the trick so I bought the relay second and that was the fix. Should have bought the relay first in hindsight but I suppose now I have a spare wiper switch/stalk should I need one in the future. Removed the two 7mm bolts to push the fuse panel back enough to get the relay out with pliers and put the new one in - done in 5 minutes!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
dardack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114151
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE Wagon PZEV 2.3L engine

FF Reputation: 3 dardack Good Standing Member
Thanks for pictures. Only had to take fuse cover off. Had regular pair of pliers came right out new ones went in quick. Literally 45 seconds total and all fixed. Thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.