DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 17 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #161
hyronk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89562
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Hbk Ti 18"

FF Reputation: 1 hyronk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
had 11-10-2 tsb applied last week. shudder at stop-n-go traffic is much much better, still there sometimes but slight and tolerable. much better overall. glad i got it done. drives like it's in Sport mode..which is fine with me.

reverse is another issue..it is very very aggressive and shaky..i know it is still "learning" so i'll be patient. i didn't have a problem with reverse before.

this is my second dealer and they gave me no flack to apply the tsb.

also, when told them of "crunching" noise in front end when slowing down they inspected and immediately said that i needed the strut bearings and coil springs replaced per another tsb. i'm waiting on parts now.
original dealer sux. said the front end sound was "the nature of the transmission" when it wasn't the transmission at all.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #162
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
I think theres a misunderstanding on what TSBs are and how they work

you can't tell a service advisor there's a TSB you want done and expect them to automatically do it and bill it to Ford. A TSB is not a recall, its a bulletin for technicians to refer to when diagnosing problems.

the better approach is to tell the service advisor the symptoms, and then politely mention you're aware of a TSB that sounds like it may correct the symptom.

If I walk into my doctor and tell him I want some antibiotics, he's not gonna say "sure, here ya go, I'll just bill your insurance" he's gonna first confirm the symptoms before recommending the solution.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #163
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF4 View Post

you can't tell a service advisor there's a TSB you want done and expect them to automatically do it and bill it to Ford. A TSB is not a recall, its a bulletin for technicians to refer to when diagnosing problems.

the better approach is to tell the service advisor the symptoms, and then politely mention you're aware of a TSB that sounds like it may correct the symptom.

If I walk into my doctor and tell him I want some antibiotics, he's not gonna say "sure, here ya go, I'll just bill your insurance" he's gonna first confirm the symptoms before recommending the solution.

Excellent advice FF4
Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #164
sprcoop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91034
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Met, 201A, Sport, 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 sprcoop Good Standing Member
Quote:

If the TSB states it applies to cars built before 8-12 wouldn't that make his car automatically eligible? I don't know, I'm just asking. My dealer just did it no questions asked.

My wife's car actually drove pretty nice, NO shudder, before the update. I would have accepted it as normal, just not impressive. No shudder after... but 10X better driving experience. Impressive. Love it.

Made me think twice about having ordered my 5sp (after the update). Now that I've driven the 5sp for 10 days. Happy I got it. Too much fun.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #165
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprcoop View Post
If the TSB states it applies to cars built before 8-12 wouldn't that make his car automatically eligible? I don't know, I'm just asking. My dealer just did it no questions asked.

My wife's car actually drove pretty nice, NO shudder, before the update. I would have accepted it as normal, just not impressive. No shudder after... but 10X better driving experience. Impressive. Love it.

Made me think twice about having ordered my 5sp (after the update). Now that I've driven the 5sp for 10 days. Happy I got it. Too much fun.
Nope as it is a service bulletin and not a recall, If the vehicle has the issues described in the TSB then it will be applied. Right now though I think Ford is just saying do it as they are getting good feedback and happier customers.

Montana
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #166
hyronk
Focus Rookie

i am aware of how a tsb works vs recalls. i went to the dealer where i purchased the car and explained my symptoms and mentioned the tsb and the "crunching" sound at front end. they said that this was all "normal" behavior and sounds. btw, another customer was there when i returned to pick up my car and they were complaining about the shudder symptoms and the dealer responded exactly the same and did not mention the tsb nor that other customers had concerns.

when i went to the second dealer they drove it and they were the ones that told me about the coil spring and strut tsb that i was unaware was even out. in addition they said many customers had been complaining about the transmission and that there was a tsb that could be applied.

either way...my transmission now works to my satisfaction and i look forward to the strut bearings/coil springs fix.

oh, and, i luv this car.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #167
hyronk
Focus Rookie

Quote:

i am aware of how a tsb works vs recalls. i went to the dealer where i purchased the car and explained my symptoms and mentioned the tsb and the "crunching" sound at front end. they said that this was all "normal" behavior and sounds. btw, another customer was there when i returned to pick up my car and they were complaining about the shudder symptoms and the dealer responded exactly the same and did not mention the tsb nor that other customers had concerns.

when i went to the second dealer they drove it and they were the ones that told me about the coil spring and strut tsb that i was unaware was even out. in addition they said many customers had been complaining about the transmission and that there was a tsb that could be applied.

either way...my transmission now works to my satisfaction and i look forward to the strut bearings/coil springs fix.

oh, and, i luv this car.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #168
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

Points 788, Level 14
Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Nope as it is a service bulletin and not a recall, If the vehicle has the issues described in the TSB then it will be applied. Right now though I think Ford is just saying do it as they are getting good feedback and happier customers.

Montana
That's part of my day yesterday that I still find suspicious. When he called me back the 2nd time he was a lot more agreeable in just applying the TSB. I'm thinking that he got a hold of someone at the district level who then informed him that this TSB is the "fix" to the pre 8/12 cars. Of course he didn't help himself going into the lemon law BS.

Also, I just got off the phone with him and it won't be ready today. Apparently their computer that they will use to implement this update needs to be updated, which they're having some issues with.

Thank God for this forum!

Joe
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #169
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyronk View Post

oh, and, i luv this car.
hyronk,

You have any idea what the TSB number was for the strut issue?

You know I don't understand dealers not wanting to even acknowledge that there is a issue and apply the TSB if the concern is valid. They are getting paid for it and I think they are in the business of making money.

Montana
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #170
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
That's part of my day yesterday that I still find suspicious. When he called me back the 2nd time he was a lot more agreeable in just applying the TSB. I'm thinking that he got a hold of someone at the district level who then informed him that this TSB is the "fix" to the pre 8/12 cars. Of course he didn't help himself going into the lemon law BS.

Also, I just got off the phone with him and it won't be ready today. Apparently their computer that they will use to implement this update needs to be updated, which they're having some issues with.

Thank God for this forum!

Joe
Glad to hear they are going to take care of you, I think it was Kabigon here on the forum that informed us why the TSB could not be applied at a earlier date, And that was due to the software used to program the PCM/TCM was not up to the task. So I am guessing you will be the first to get your Focus re-programmed at that dealer.

Let us know how it goes after you get it done, It should be a considerable improvement compared to before the re-program.

Montana

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.