My 2012 Focus issues: what Ford is and isn't doing - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #41
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I understand that op is frustrated, but that post made me frustrated. What do you want the techs to do? write their own programming to fix the car? When most if not all your issues are programming related there is not that much they can do. They updated what they could with the software available at the time. New software will come out as its written and tested for the rest of the cars life. In 5 years the modules could need another update, but that's the way it works with the computer controlled crap you bought. either buy pre-1980's or deal with it.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #42
Superd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87917
What I Drive: '12 candy red titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Superd Good Standing Member
I have an mct w nav equipped titanium and I remember there is an option to change the clock display to a date display, don't know if it will help you. Have you tried the two settings for "gps time auto calibration" on or off with any success? Sorry ahead of time if you have tried, just trying to be helpfully.

I myself have had many tough times when dealing with Toyota during the first model year of the matrix. It was quite frustrating trying to get answers out of them but as more people complained eventually a fix would be found and then the dealers would learn about the fixes through Toyota Service Bulletins (tsb's) and it would get much easier to deal with issues. I love this ff zoo much that I am willing to be patient and wait till these fixes come out to help out mft etc. I plan in keeping this car for awhile and realize there are going to be issues. Sorry that some of you are having more trouble than others but trust me if you have not had to deal with other manufacturers with quality issues the grass isn't greener on the other side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Well, it's a new week. Over the long weekend, when I shut off the car, the clock decided it was either noon or midnight, and it was actually around 6 pm. Getting tired of resetting the clock. Also, the door rattle was worse this morning with the 50 degree overnight temps, even with the radio at low volume.

We will see if I get any response from Ford this week. They have multiple emails they haven't bothered to respond to yet. Undecided if I should try to go up another level at Ford or not.

Does anyone know if the customer support managers have supervisors that are contactable?

Also, I would like to forward a version of this post to Ford. Anyone have an email of someone with some clout?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #43
Skippy905
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84128
What I Drive: 2006 Honda Pilot

FF Reputation: 2 Skippy905 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJTX View Post
I don't really blame you for how you feel but you should look at it from the other end. the first year of a model is ALWAYS problematic at best. and that is well known. it doesn't matter if it is ford, cheby, chrysler or any other brand. yeah you got royally screwed by the dealer you are trying to work with but on the other hand there are other dealers out there who would appreciate your business.
I beg to differ on everyones comment about the first year problems. Of course there is always a few bugs to work out, but most companies have them sorted out within the first 6 months. It seems to me that the Focus has far too many glitches of which FORD doesn't want to recognize. If you are at least known to put out cars with first year problems, then have a customer service department that will back up the company and be ready to fix the problems. Don't just ignore it and keep on going pretending there isn't a problem.

I have been looking at the Kia Soul since it came out, and the Hyundai Elantra since the redesign. I am a member of both of these forums, and find nowhere near the complaints that the Focus has. Also, Kia fixed those problems right away. The 2010 Kia Soul (first year it came out) is a Consumer Reports "recommended". For a first year car it had very few problems (less than most car companies with years of that model production).

I was completely sold on the Focus when it first came out, and I began reading about it. I hesitated to buy right away due to the MFT system. As I have been waiting, I have been realizing that the Focus just isn't going to be for me. Too many problems, and more importantly, Ford just isn't giving the customer service to back this car up. It seems to me that Ford is loosing too many of their loyal customers with this run around crap.

P.S. This past week I had two different Focus Titaniums for rental cars. Both had problems. Of course, both had minor MFT problems (Phone not playing music through USB, black screen, and a few other things), but both had other problems that are noted on this forum. One had the problem with the water in the door (but the other one didn't). The car trip computer wouldn't work (seemed as if the left steering wheel buttons weren't connected). Center speaker seemed to be coming out from the dashboard on the first rental. These rental cars, while they drove nice, really turned me off to buying one of these cars.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #44
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy905 View Post
I beg to differ on everyones comment about the first year problems. Of course there is always a few bugs to work out, but most companies have them sorted out within the first 6 months. It seems to me that the Focus has far too many glitches of which FORD doesn't want to recognize. If you are at least known to put out cars with first year problems, then have a customer service department that will back up the company and be ready to fix the problems. Don't just ignore it and keep on going pretending there isn't a problem.

I have been looking at the Kia Soul since it came out, and the Hyundai Elantra since the redesign. I am a member of both of these forums, and find nowhere near the complaints that the Focus has. Also, Kia fixed those problems right away. The 2010 Kia Soul (first year it came out) is a Consumer Reports "recommended". For a first year car it had very few problems (less than most car companies with years of that model production).

I was completely sold on the Focus when it first came out, and I began reading about it. I hesitated to buy right away due to the MFT system. As I have been waiting, I have been realizing that the Focus just isn't going to be for me. Too many problems, and more importantly, Ford just isn't giving the customer service to back this car up. It seems to me that Ford is loosing too many of their loyal customers with this run around crap.
Thank you for the great post. You are spot on. I feel the "first year" argument is an excuse. Whether we bought the car on the first month of the build or the 12th month, we should be getting close to the same quality and build. And on top of that, Ford touts their INITIAL quality, and HELD mine making me wait for months and told me because they wanted to give us the best quality.

-------

And just to reiterate; to follow up on some comments from others. I work in the technical field. I understand programming glitches and problems. Not sure how they didn't catch some of this stuff, or thought "no one would notice" but maybe they will fix this stuff, maybe they won’t.

All I know is at the dealership level, training is subpar and not much is known about this car and not many resources to find the answers. At the field service engineer, training is subpar, they know a little more than the dealership level, they have more contacts to get more resources, and all they are allowed to do is update to the newest software and report the results. At the Ford customer service level, good luck getting answers and don't expect regular follow-up. The Ford 1-800 customer service number; it's a joke. So where does this leave the customer to go?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #45
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superd View Post
Have you tried the two settings for "gps time auto calibration" on or off with any success? Sorry ahead of time if you have tried, just trying to be helpfully.
There is no GPS time setting on MyFord touch equipped cars without the Navigation SD card option. But thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #46
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Well I am meeting with the dealership tonight to see what we can do. Amazing Ford has become totally silent on this whole thing.....

I guess their new plan of thinking when things get tough is just ignore the customer and hope they go away. It's impossible to contact anyone that really cares as they hide behind the 1-800 numbers and refer you to the dealership, and assign you to a "case manager" that has fallen off the map.

I guess I have learned what a long time, faithful customer really means to them. And a shareholder.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #47
Rod Knock
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88184
What I Drive: 2009 WRX

FF Reputation: 1 Rod Knock Good Standing Member
I can't imagine the level of frustration you have with your ordeal.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works in your favor.
Support for a $25,000 purchase isn't something that should be taken lightly.
Tentative deliver date: 9/5
Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #48
csvt2060
Focus Addict

I have decided to post this in my own thread, instead of adding off topic to another here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...271673&page=14 , as this also gives an update on my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
csvt2060, I don't really understand why you feel the need to put gas on fire
You know why, because the constant banter. People have very legitimate issues, and people feel they need to endlessly, constantly come into every one of these threads to make their opinions known. Just because you aren't experiencing issues doesn't give you the right to defend on behalf of Ford Motor Company. Some of you guys seem like we are slandering one of your family members when we are talking about a MACHINE.

There is some major delusional thinking if you guys think by living in your box, pretending there is nothing to see here, it's going to make it all better. Shut all of us down because you know, we are just "one offs" that happen to have small issues. We are just complainers.

I will tell you this right now. I have been around Fords all my life. I have relation in the business for over 30 years. I have never personally experienced and heard about this many major glitches and failures in a Ford vehicle. And then you get past that, and you have to deal with some european engineering on this car that even baffle Ford's own american engineers.

I have real world experience here. I own a 2012 that was an early build. See the list above, many issues that even the field engineers couldn't resolve. Now I have a replacement car built. Right out of the box it has a steering rack issue. It's now held up in the shop, and I would be niave to purchase it until it's right. Then I was driving a base Focus "S" as a loaner, and with 250 miles on it, the radio failed.

But no, there are no problems with these cars.

Last edited by csvt2060; 11-15-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #49
KimberChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91809
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab

FF Reputation: 1 KimberChick Good Standing Member
I stumbled upon this site looking for real-world information on the 2012 Focus.

This has me a bit nervous about purchasing one. I've got a dealer "hunting down" an SE hatch with a manual, 203A and sport package in gray. (apparently, this is a tall request?!?)

I drove an SEL sedan as a rental. Gas mileage sold me on it, plus the ride was quiet and firm...moreso that the Tacoma I have now or the 9th gen Corolla I had prior. I didn't get to mess with MFT or SYNC much...and maybe I should have put it through its paces. I didn't notice any drift, but we were driving on the interstate with a 30mph+ sustained wind.

The dealer is telling me that if i order the car, it'll be at least 6-8 weeks. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't be looking at other hatches. I'm a Toyota person..but their vehicles aren't to my liking anymore.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #50
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 871, Level 15
Points: 871, Level: 15 Points: 871, Level: 15 Points: 871, Level: 15
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
I stumbled upon this site looking for real-world information on the 2012 Focus.

This has me a bit nervous about purchasing one. I've got a dealer "hunting down" an SE hatch with a manual, 203A and sport package in gray. (apparently, this is a tall request?!?)

I drove an SEL sedan as a rental. Gas mileage sold me on it, plus the ride was quiet and firm...moreso that the Tacoma I have now or the 9th gen Corolla I had prior. I didn't get to mess with MFT or SYNC much...and maybe I should have put it through its paces. I didn't notice any drift, but we were driving on the interstate with a 30mph+ sustained wind.

The dealer is telling me that if i order the car, it'll be at least 6-8 weeks. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't be looking at other hatches. I'm a Toyota person..but their vehicles aren't to my liking anymore.
Depends on what you call real world. For me most of the problems listed are not 'real' in my particular case. (for MY Focus, others have had problems) I'm sure if you do the same research on other cars you will find the same types of issues. Test the cars, try the options. If you like them, if everything makes sense to you, if the car "fits" go for it. Problems may or may not show up. Be aware but don't expect bad things. The Vast majority of cars will be fine or have very minor issues. All car MFGing will have issues, no way around it but those are rare and not the norm. If you don't trust the dealer or the car you should go somewhere else because you will be sure to find problems. My own example is I don't trust Chevy products. I owned a Nova once, it was used and frankly a worn out car and gave me all kinds of problems. I hated that car. later I got a used worn out Ford and it had problems too but I LIKED it so that was ok. The next Chevy was a POS too and I hated it but the next Ford was a POS as well but I liked it so that was ok too. I fixed the Fords and Beat the crap out of the Chevys to prove how bad they were. NOT objective at all but there it is. I'll stick to Fords because I LIKE them and will not buy Chevy because I don't like them. I love the Focus and if it has problems I will get it fixed. Pick the car you like, buy from a dealership you like and trust and above all ENJOY the car!.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.