Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives.

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?
Welcome in the club,I got this problem since I bought the car in June.And to give you an update,engineers have apparently found the source of the problem a few weeks ago and it would be some bad bearings.The "new" bearings are apparently available but dealerships are waiting for the new TSB before ordering the parts to fix this issue.

The message was suppose to be out this week but again I was told to wait.After 19 weeks,me being pis.. off is an understatement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Sabatino31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90571
What I Drive: 2001 Lime Green ZX3 *Sold*

FF Reputation: 1 Sabatino31 Good Standing Member
I have this exact problem in my '01 ZX3, I get up to highway speeds and i get this kind of clunking noise coming from the drivers side, i even asked my dad for any ideas as to what it could be seeing as he usually knows if i don't and he's just as stumped as I am.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Beepster
Banned

Any news about that front bearing TSB?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Beepster, Nothing new, although I had a follow-up call from Ford CS today. I asked some pointed questions they could not answer. The fellow I spoke with said he would ask some contacts of his own to find out what he could. I asked what, where/why and how soon this could be fixed. I went on to say I was concerned that if it is taking so long to solve would this problem be taken care of if my warranty ran out. As of today nothing has changed with the TSB.

I went on to talk about my thread on Focus Frantics, which has enabled me to find out I was not the only one reporting this problem. I also told them that my wife is apprehensive about driving with this noise as she drives at the speeds it occurs. That when she is asked about how she likes her Titanium she tells people asking what is going on so Ford is not getting good press. Our Focus is good looking and several people each week ask how we like it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
Beepster, Nothing new, although I had a follow-up call from Ford CS today. I asked some pointed questions they could not answer. The fellow I spoke with said he would ask some contacts of his own to find out what he could. I asked what, where/why and how soon this could be fixed. I went on to say I was concerned that if it is taking so long to solve would this problem be taken care of if my warranty ran out. As of today nothing has changed with the TSB.

I went on to talk about my thread on Focus Frantics, which has enabled me to find out I was not the only one reporting this problem. I also told them that my wife is apprehensive about driving with this noise as she drives at the speeds it occurs. That when she is asked about how she likes her Titanium she tells people asking what is going on so Ford is not getting good press. Our Focus is good looking and several people each week ask how we like it.
Thanks,
I will call my service manager tomorrow for news.I also got a lot of people saying they like the look of the car.A few times I gave them the key to try it .And each time they said:"WTF" and looked at another car.In the past 4 and a half month ,I must have cost Ford at least 35 sales.This car doesn't belong on the road and with winter coming soon ,I can't imagine how dangerous this car will be to drive at the speed I drive right now so I can stop hearing that bearing noise.

I'm really sick of it.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Beepster
Banned

This morning I called my service manager and he had news.Even if the TSB is not out ,he was able to find the number for the new bearings that are suppose to fix the noise and vibration issue.He's suppose to call me once he get them to get this and other issues fixed.I'm not celebrating or calling this good news.I'm still not sure how long it will take and even less if it gonna fix the problem or not.If it fix the problem ,I won't have a smile on my face because I'm so tired of all the BS.The "bad bearings" story came out in august ,only a week after the TSB was out.Why did it take 3 months before anything was done is beyond me.

If this doesn't fix the car ,I hope someone has a "plan B",because I'm not driving that POS another 5 month until they try something else.

Whatever happens this will be my last Ford ever!!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Beepster, That is great news. I will let you be the Ginny Pig on this one. Please give me the part number and maybe a phone number for my dealership service manager to contact yours if this works.

Best....jimmyt
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
Beepster
Banned

If you go on the " Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus" thread,page 11 post 127,you'll see that sirhawkeye reported the exact same solution and it fixed his problem.But it was done on the 20th of August! I spoke to my dealership about that many times and they says there were no official TSB's about that.So when they told me the solution a few weeks ago ,I was far from impressed.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Beepster
Banned

Breaking news!!!

This morning 8:45,got a call from the dealership saying the "new magic bearings" are in.They sent someone with a loaner about 90 min later to pick up the car.I may get news late this afternoon to see if it works or not.

My expectations are very low and the loaner I got is an 07 Focus with no power window or any kind of sound insulation.But it's still more quiet than the 2012 I own.

Will keep you informed and if works will post the part number and brand of bearing.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Beepster
Banned

Was expecting some news this afternoon and nothing.I really doubt that they didn't had time to do the bearings after picking up the car so quickly in the morning.This looks bad.I should get some news tomorrow.

Bookmarks & Social Networks