DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #151
ca45006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87648
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ca45006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Last Wed got in my Focus and headed down the road. After about 100 feet from the house, the cars just popped out of gear (I have the DCT auto) and the Service Engine soon light came on. Put it in park, waited a few seconds, put it back in drive and away I went. To problem didn't re-occur but the Service Engine light did stay on. I called the dealer and got the car in for service (It was due for it's 90 day checkup anyways). Turns out it was a OBD II code of P286 - Which is "Clutch A too slow". They went ahead and did the TSB 11-10-02 reprogram of the PCM/TCM and so far so good. I've put about 75 miles on the car since the reprogram and it definitely shifts better and now acts more like a "normal" automatic transmission. (Even though it's really an automated manual transmission !!!) I'll post an update in a weeks or so and let everyone know how the car/tranny is performing.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #152
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick184 View Post
Excuse me? There are plenty of reports out there about transmission issues with this car, so it wasn't out with the bounds of possibility that it might be related in some way. I'm not knocking Ford. I work in an industry where first year products are frequently buggy and we have to deal with that and accept it.

I am a loyal Ford buyer and in the past year I have purchased a 5.0 Mustang and traded it for a Shelby GT500, then purchased the Focus. I'm not boasting, just illustrating that I like Ford products and am loyal to the brand. I hoped this wasn't another transmission issue for my sake and everyone else's. Someone has to be the first to report these things.

By the way I don't appreciate being lectured by you, whoever you are. I reported what I thought was a problem but wanted to wait until the dealer had had a chance to check it out. As it turned out it was a one off.

Colin
Chill out. No one is lecturing you. Plenty of transmission issues documented... never read one about the car not shifting into gear at startup intermittently, the stick being loose with no feedback entering each gear select.

Obviously there are transmission issues documented else we wouldn't have this thread about it...

You jumped right to conclusions saying that "I can't believe this is a one off situation, it must be happening to other cars as well. We'll see what the dealer comes up with."

I just recommended NOT jumping to conclusions until you have a little more information.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #153
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Looks like a one-off after all. Don't jump to conclusions unless you read about several reports of your symptoms before hand, good rule of thumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick184 View Post
Excuse me? There are plenty of reports out there about transmission issues with this car, so it wasn't out with the bounds of possibility that it might be related in some way. I'm not knocking Ford. I work in an industry where first year products are frequently buggy and we have to deal with that and accept it.

I am a loyal Ford buyer and in the past year I have purchased a 5.0 Mustang and traded it for a Shelby GT500, then purchased the Focus. I'm not boasting, just illustrating that I like Ford products and am loyal to the brand. I hoped this wasn't another transmission issue for my sake and everyone else's. Someone has to be the first to report these things.

By the way I don't appreciate being lectured by you, whoever you are. I reported what I thought was a problem but wanted to wait until the dealer had had a chance to check it out. As it turned out it was a one off, and I was wrong to suggest it might be otherwise.

Colin

Ahhh....mister Ford Focus defender (feta_mpg) strikes again! Swoops in to ususpecting victims and tries to swing the tide in Ford's favor screaming user error, it's under warranty no problem, or it's optional doesn't matter, so no worry, etc. etc. etc.

There is no arguing with feta_mpg, he had 6 pages of banter a few days ago about build quality with another member that is having issues.

Best to just ignore, but he is quick to point out your wrongness to being upset even though the issue is "minor" and a "minor" inconvience.....no worries about your time, frustration......it's under warranty so it's all good. Just give Ford a pass, it's a one off and not a wide spread issue.

:sarcastic:

feta_mpg you sound like a reasonably smart person, but
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #154
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
csvt2060, I don't really understand why you feel the need to put gas on fire when the user himself recognized that he was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick184
...As it turned out it was a one off, and I was wrong to suggest it might be otherwise.
And feta_mpg was suggesting to wait before jumping to conclusions. So, if you doubt the reasoning of feta_mpg, let me say I doubt even more yours.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #155
underbird10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88103
What I Drive: 2014 ST3

FF Reputation: 3 underbird10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Eye on the ball people. Some of us are more tolerant than others, big freakin' deal. I'm good with my car, in spite of a few minor quirks.

So, who's happier , or ...

My other rides -2006 Performance White Mustang GT Coupe, 2004 40th Anniversary Edition Mustang Coupe, 2013 Edge Limited
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #156
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
csvt2060, I don't really understand why you feel the need to put gas on fire ...
I refuse to take this thread any more off-topic. I have moved my post to my own thread that also gives an update to that situation here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...47#post3894847
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #157
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

Points 3,563, Level 37
Points: 3,563, Level: 37 Points: 3,563, Level: 37 Points: 3,563, Level: 37
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Had this TSB done on Monday. Had some idle flare on decel (though I didnt notice until I was prompted by this thread).

Shifting is neater... wasn't bad before, but I like it better now.

Good job to those who worked on this!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #158
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

Points 788, Level 14
Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14 Points: 788, Level: 14
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Update tomorrow

Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #159
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe
You know I started laughing when reading that, With the issues I have had with Ford I know it is going to be surprising to hear this from me but that is not Ford it is the dealer. Ford makes TSB available in the computer and if the service writer or tech can't find it shame on them. When I took my car in for the same TSB they found it and applied it without question.

Montana
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #160
JRicky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84998
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 JRicky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
You know I started laughing when reading that, With the issues I have had with Ford I know it is going to be surprising to hear this from me but that is not Ford it is the dealer. Ford makes TSB available in the computer and if the service writer or tech can't find it shame on them. When I took my car in for the same TSB they found it and applied it without question.

Montana
Definitely A LOT of idiotic dealers around.. I ha a similar issue I vented about lol... I might call my salesman and get him to get my car in at that dealer..

Don't blame Ford completely, there's a disconnect somewhere when we read about it in the news and their dealers are being a pain in the ass. The dealers are better suited ripping off people charging $4-500 to change front brakes..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.