Squeaks, creaks, and rattles - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #51
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsleuth View Post
got mine with 2000KM on it, doesn't rattle, but did notice part of the headliner was untucked over the driver's head. Makes me wonder if they replaced/fixed something. At least there's no noise/stains now. Fingers crossed.
Hm, you think this is something Ford knows about -- and made corresponding changes at the factory? I'm looking at a 10/25/11 build. Hm, decisions decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #52
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
One of the salespeople was driving it for a while, I think he got what ever issues fixed when ever they popped up.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #53
entity
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 entity Good Standing Member
Hey all, OP here.

So, my headliner issue has been pretty much resolved, but it certainly wasn't pretty. The first trip to the dealer resulted in them keeping my car for 7 days attempting to re-glue it. I was okay with that because I wanted to minimize what had to be taken apart. When I got it back, not only did the headliner have ripples in it from the re-glue, but it came unglued again the next day. It felt like flypaper when pressing up against it.

I took it back in a second time and the service manager ordered a new headliner. It took nearly two and a half weeks for it to come in. Must be a popular item, I guess. This time it took another 24 days for them to install it. So all in all, I didn't have my car for about a month. They provided a loaner on their dime, so I wasn't concerned about time as long as it was done right.

I had the techs also investigate into other various squeaks and creaks that shouldn't be happening in a car with 3,000 miles on it. Some were addressed with insulation, others were labeled as "can not duplicate". It came down to me recording videos of the squeaks in action. There is one in the dash that the radio can't even drown out. Other than that, the new headliner is like it should have been from the factory. You can't even tell that it has been replaced. It no longer feels like flypaper if you press up against it.

So my next trip to the dealer will be to eliminate the last few noises and to apply the PowerShift TSB.

If anyone has any questions about my experience or wants to know something before taking their car in, feel free to ask.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #54
naegerter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90207
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 naegerter Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by entity View Post
To summarize, from what I can tell I have 3 apparent rattles.

1) Headliner as mentioned before.
2) Driver / passenger front door speakers. Stops when I put my hand on the speaker grate. I read in another thread that the dealer replaced someone's whole speaker for this? I'm not 100% sure.
3) Middle area under center console. Sounds like it's from the vents or something. This one doesn't bug me as much but it is still apparent.

Normally I wouldn't complain because I usually have music on. But it is pretty embarrassing when you have passengers and no music to drown it out.

My Cobalt I got rid of had zero cabin noise :(.
Mine is only exhibiting problem 2 & 3, but neither is bothering me enough yet to take it in because I always drive with music playing, windows down, or both haha.
Also, my dad's 2010 Fusion Hybrid with the Navigation system has the same small rattle that comes from the vents or behind the radio. Don't know if it's a ford radio problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #55
KaputtEqu1pment
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91122
What I Drive: 2012 Triple Plat White Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 KaputtEqu1pment Good Standing Member
Yea i think i can' sympathize with 2 & 3. There is a rattling noise coming from either the dash or vents or somewhere in that area; it's driving me insane trying to find it and isolate it. The fact that it's intermittent is not helping me.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #56
Pennut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
I've found that as the temps get colder the squeaks get louder. Maybe because everything contracts a little and starts rubbing. I have a squeak in the center of the dash that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago when it was warmer, at least that's where I think it is. I just let it squeak and wait until it warms up again. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find it and you'll end up in the nut house trying to fix it.
Mine started doing this in the past week or so when the temperature got into the low 30's. Sounds almost like the windshield is rattling and some trim pieces until the interior warms up, then it goes away. Not really sure if it's the windshield itself or the dash area right near the windshield. Taking my Focus into the dealer Monday for a rough idle and the transmission update TSB also. So I will write all this stuff down and have a record of it. Hope I'm not going to have a bunch of problems. I had a 2011 Fiesta for 6 months and about 8100 miles and had zero issues with it before trading it for the Focus.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #57
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
Anyone have a Focus with a sunroof that doesn't rattle? I'm trying to decide whether to get the sunroof or not. I actually prefer not having one -- but my choices are limited by current dealer inventory.
Mine doesn't - yet! I drive a mile up a bumpy, self maintained, dirt road to get home and I've driven it maybe 25 times so far with nothing coming loose. New car though, we'll see what happens as it matures.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #58
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Well, I finally bought my car today. No moonroof. 37 miles on the odo, and there's a rattle somewhere from behind the dash--near the instrument cluster, it seems--whenever I go over bumps and other road imperfections. Wonder if it's worth taking it to the dealer, remedying it myself, or if I should just deal with it. Other than that, I'm liking it so far!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #59
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowah View Post
Well, I finally bought my car today. No moonroof. 37 miles on the odo, and there's a rattle somewhere from behind the dash--near the instrument cluster, it seems--whenever I go over bumps and other road imperfections. Wonder if it's worth taking it to the dealer, remedying it myself, or if I should just deal with it. Other than that, I'm liking it so far!
If you just got it, drive it for a week, see if it shakes out on it's own. Got a few minor rattles in mine, not really noticeable if you got music going. When I go in for my first service, i'll have a little list for them to go over. Usually do with new cars, for me anyways.

Congrats on the ride, hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #60
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
my sun roof/ sun roof cover doesn't rattle at all, tho i almost always keep the cover open.

Bookmarks & Social Networks