2009 Ford Focus Clutch Problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
csrobinson27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91679
What I Drive: 2009 Gray Focus

FF Reputation: 1 csrobinson27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2009 Ford Focus Clutch Problems

I drive a standard transmission 2009 Ford Focus. I bought it used Feb 2011. July I had the clutch assembly replaced because my local Orlando Ford dealer told me it was worn out and not covered under warranty. Ok, i get it. I paid for it was went on my way. Now it's November and I'm starting to have the same problems all over again. From a cold start, my shifter will not go into first gear. Sometimes I have to use two hands to get it into gear. It's a hard shift from there on out till I've run down the road about 5 minutes. Everything runs smoothly for the rest of the day. I have an appointment Monday (today is Friday) to go back to the same dealership and have it looked at. Is the part under any kind of warranty? Labor? What am I suppose to do if they tell me it's worn out again and I need a new one? I can't afford another 1200 dollars in repairs when I have barely driven it 500 miles on this new clutch. What do I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Sounds like maybe a fluid change would help. Which I don't know why they wouldn't have changed it when they did the clutch? But also maybe check the fluid level, there is a bolt on the front of the trans, you should be able to just stick your pinky finger in and feel it.

Or the syncros are maybe going bad. But also check the shifter cables too.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

Points 928, Level 16
Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16 Points: 928, Level: 16
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Something sounds off - this transmission should have Ford MTX in it, aka Ford honey (~$7 a quart IIRC) Still - your "cold start" is nothing compared to what I describe a cold start in MN, no matter what, even with ATF (stupid PO) in the transmission it would shift easily in the winter. With Ford honey there is little to no difference in shifting between -10*F and 80*F.

It sounds like something is wrong with either the throw out bearing (TOB) or something internal.

Try this - if it is giving you trouble shifting into 1st, shut the car off. If it pops into gear after the car is shut off the clutch isn't fully disengaging - and you have a TOB issues. If the problem still continues with the car off, something is wrong internally inside the transmission.
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,390, Level 75
Points: 13,390, Level: 75 Points: 13,390, Level: 75 Points: 13,390, Level: 75
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Because it is OK after the transmission is warming up, it is not a mechanical failure.
You may try bleeding the clutch throw out slave. Easy to do.
Also find out what transmission fluid the dealer used.
They should have used the honey Ford fluid if they changed it. If the just did the clutch they would not have changed the fluid in the tranny.
Have it changed if they did not, and use the Ford honey colored tranny fluid. Or Royal Purple which is said to be great (by tranny dudes)

If bleeding the clutch slave does not help, check the shifter cable at the tranny to see if it is properly aligned.

Also leave the car in third when parked. It actually helps if it is NOT in first when parked.

With the tranny in neutral, rev the engine a little with the clutch not pressed down for a minute before putting in gear when starting out. ? it may or may not help

These things are from Contour MTX75, but it is the same tranny.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

Points 9,143, Level 64
Points: 9,143, Level: 64 Points: 9,143, Level: 64 Points: 9,143, Level: 64
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
its not a clutch promblem but somthing else possibly throw out bearing if you didnt tell the mechanic to change it which you should have
Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,233, Level 35
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrobinson27 View Post
I drive a standard transmission 2009 Ford Focus. I bought it used Feb 2011. July I had the clutch assembly replaced because my local Orlando Ford dealer told me it was worn out and not covered under warranty. Ok, i get it. I paid for it was went on my way. Now it's November and I'm starting to have the same problems all over again.
Hi csrobinson27,

Everyone has great tips on possible causes, but if it is the clutch, repairs completed at Ford dealerships typically have a 12 months/12,000 mile warranty, whichever occurs first. So there is no need to worry, just bring it in for diagnosis.

Good luck!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Mingersoll56
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106082
What I Drive: 2009 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Mingersoll56 Good Standing Member
Hello, I had this problem about 2 years ago. I took my 09 focus into the dealership and they changed the fluid and bled the system, and it fixed the problem. It has just now started again, and shifting it into 1st while the car is off does not work. As soon as it warms up a bit it shifts perfectly. Should i take it back in and have them work on it again?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,233, Level 35
Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35 Points: 3,233, Level: 35
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingersoll56 View Post
Hello, I had this problem about 2 years ago. I took my 09 focus into the dealership and they changed the fluid and bled the system, and it fixed the problem. It has just now started again, and shifting it into 1st while the car is off does not work. As soon as it warms up a bit it shifts perfectly. Should i take it back in and have them work on it again?
Hi Mingersoll56,

Yes, I would advise that you make an appointment so your dealership can inspect. Ford certified techs are in the best position to accurately diagnose and repair your Focus. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
jrfrake

Fan#:
focus shifting problem

I have a 2009 Focus 5 speed and I have been having the same issue. When it gets cold outside (I live in northern Ohio), it can be very difficult and sometimes impossible to shift the car into reverse and 1st gear. If the car is turned off, it shifts with no problems. I seem to have fixed the problem by accident though. I put my foot behind the clutch pedal and pulled it out towards me. This actually moved the pedal some, so now I have to press the pedal in farther to get it to the floor. I've had to adjust to how the clutch feels now, but it has been shifting with no problems. I'm not sure if this means I just need to get something with the pedal adjusted or not, but if you are looking for a fix, try this. My car was not driveable because I could not shift it at all the other day, but after I "moved" the pedal, I haven't had an issue.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
sxm703
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 130018
What I Drive: 2009 Focus SE 5-speed-Blue

FF Reputation: 1 sxm703 Good Standing Member
Among other things with my car, I also have this annoyance. I never had this problem until I took the car into have an oil change.

Eventually I noticed that my clutch pedal was sinking almost to the floor. I too couldn't get it to shift easily. I opened the hood and looked around and everything looked ok. Still being a problem, I looked up the owners manual and saw that I had a dual clutch/brake reservoir. While poking around, I noticed that the oil change guy didn't put the cap back on tightly. Very loose. I tightened it.

I had hoped that this would take care of the clutch problem but it didn't. I added more fluid to the max line. It is a tiny bit better. But I still have to check the pedal and pull it up for maximum "clutching."

I thought that the clutch would self adjust so this wouldn't happen. At this point, I"m not going to do anything further until is collapses because to inspect the "system", I believe you have to tear it apart anyways. Wait till it breaks.

Unless somebody has a better solution.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.