Snow Tires Yes or No - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #21
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Absolutely one of the best things you can do, if you live in a snowy or colder climate, is invest in a set of dedicated winter/snow tires & wheels. And as others have said, all four is the only way to go. There's fantastic information on TireRack's site about the advantages of running all four tires vs. just the front or rear (depending on which wheels are driving your vehicle) and once you read it, things make sense.

As a side note I'm glad I don't live in the "Big City" in WI and have to worry about Elizabeth being on the road at the same time as I am. Anyone who says that high performance summer only tires stop, start and corner as good in the snow/cold as a set of dedicated winter tires do is out of touch with reality or in some serious denial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Depends on WHERE you drive. IF your driving is entirely on freeways and city streets, then no, you do not need Winter tires.
IF you have a unpaved drivway, or a two lane road which is in the country you travel on regularly.. then yes get snow tires.

I live in the big city. I NEVER buy snow tires. They are a total waste of time and money for me. I am 62 years old and have driven in snow every Winter since i was 15 years old.
Snow tires are for SNOW, not for plowed streets.
Around me, snow tires might be needed a few times all Winter, and THAT only if you have roads that do not get plowed often.

I would never pay for snow tires in S.E. Wisconsin.
Up North it may certainly be a different matter.

Funny how a LOT of folks who post here are big on snow tires.. I guess they can rant and rave all they want about the benefits..
I would not bother to use them if I got them FREE!!!!!!!!!

(As i have mentioned previously.. my last car i had 12 Winters, and all 12 Winters I left the 'Summer Only' ultrahigh performance tires on all year round. I NEVER had a single problem with using them in Winter. And yeah they had poor traction when the snow is just right, no problem in my mind. They still stop just as good.)

And a good task to perform every time first snow: Go find a BIG empty parking lot, go crazy driving around in circles, skid, brake hard, spin out, Have a BALL. This gets you back to remembering what it is like in snow fast.
And then adding in remembering not to drive too close and you are set.
loool. Good post.

Snow tires are a fantastic investment. As has been mentioned, the tire compound is specially formulated to remain soft and flexible in frigid conditions so the benefits are not only felt in the snow.

I would feel SO MUCH safer if everyone had snow tires in the winter, alas, instead I see SUV's running 24" rimz (yo) because I have 4WD and don't need no stinkin' snow tires. And people running bald-as-my-grandpa off-brand tires because "they still hold air so they're still good."
Old 11-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #23
mjlangley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66238
What I Drive: 03 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 mjlangley Good Standing Member
Yes, and all four.

I can't speak for a newer Focus w/ all seasons, but my 2004 SVT with summer tires was undriveable with any amount of the white stuff on the roads.

Winter tires have taller, more flexible tread blocks (provide more traction than summer or AS tires can on low traction surfaces: slush, snow and ice), softer compound (provides better grip in low temperatures) and a more flexible sidewall. All of these things make them a better option for the winter season.

Winter tires offer better braking and more traction. How is that a bad thing if you can afford them?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #24
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
oops no arguing with political correctness.
OF COURSE all folks who live in any climate where it might possible snow should have snow tires.
Sure. no problem. .

Last edited by Elizabeth; 11-08-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
FWIW, I have been driving in New England winters for 40+ years and have not had dedicated snow tires since 1978. I have never been stuck, lost control, spun out or have been involved in an accident.

It really doesn't matter what tires you have if you over drive the road conditions none of them will keep you out of trouble. Of course an all season will work better than a summer and a snow will work better than an all season but if you drive within the limits of the tires you have you will be fine.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #26
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
It seems to be that the people advocating them as a waste of time have never run them. I bought my first set of snow tires for my CSVT in 07' and will never run an all season in the Winter again, the traction was unbelievable. I liked to run Z rated stickies all summer and dedicated snow sluts in the winter, traction is everything.

I got my GF to buy a set of Winter tires for hew new car as well - so is a believer now too, she called me up one morning thanking me for having her get the tires and they just saved her from an accident. Having the ability to stope or turn to avoid an accident is key, it's not just your driving that gets you into an accident...
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #27
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I guess the majority of folks here are Snow tire freaks.
Good news for Tire Rack, and all the tire makers. gives them plenty of extra money..
Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #28
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
I always run snow tires.

My old Ford Taurus with good snow tires was 100% my choice of vehicle to drive anytime the weather got bad.

Why? The snow tires gave it the traction it needed to dig through anything. The more agressive tread on the snow tires also helped when I would hit slush or even be driving through snow on the highway. Also, being a front wheel drive car, it was VERY heavy in the front and EXTREMELY predictable in the snow. Jeeps and a lot of other typical 4x4 SUVs tend to not be predictable or stable in the snow.

I've had my Focus through one minor snow storm when I first got it. While it didn't do terrible, it didn't do as well as I had hoped. I really don't feel comfortable driving on all seasons in the winter.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #29
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Maybe the folks who say they are a waste of time have more skills than others. maybe the have used them and found them to actually BE a waste of time.
Why does your OPINION invaidate others experience?

If you want to say you like using snow tires, that is fine and great. when it gets into 'others who don't are "wrong' foolish whatever' than it gets a little hairy, as i am really ready to tell that so called cop's threatening comments about giving tickets etc and the quoted person to shove it. Seriously.
I give a rat's ass if you do not like my not using snow tires. They are a Goddamn waste of money and a waste of time to me PERIOD.
And yeah feel free to abn me or whatever the Hell you uwant...
You are entitled to your opinion - I stated my opinion and then supported it with my experience and the experience of another. I didn't say "people who think snow tires don't work are r-tards" - I just simply expressed that I find it hard to believe that somebody could run snow tires in the winter and dismiss them as useless after the fact.

Take a chill-pill - whoa.

I'm just going to state a fact - the tire compounds and tread designs of a DEDICATED snow tire will be far superior to that of an all season, no if ands or butts about it. Winter driving is a whole different animal, it's not so much about worrying about what you are exactly doing, you have to be totally aware of what the cars around you are doing, or that corner coming up where the trees thin out and the snow is deeper.

Sorry, but you are the only person I've ever come across that have said straight up that winter tires are a waste of time, and you're from WI too. That would be like telling a drag racer that slicks are a waste of time
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
^^^yeah I think that post you quoted was deleted for a reason. Must be a full moon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks