Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound

We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives.

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
jguzman75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88518
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 jguzman75 Good Standing Member
This sounds exactly what mine was doing and all mine was due to low air pressure. They were at 25 psi, aired them to 35 and the sound is almost all gone.
Now it very, very faint so I am pretty sure it is just tire-rubber related. These tires still have plenty of tread left but after reading reviews others have stated that the rubber becomes hard at noisy. The tires are the barum bravuris and will be my last set.
Hope this helps.....
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
standard
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72671
What I Drive: wrx

FF Reputation: 2 standard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would have Ford replace the front right wheel bearing as well. Sometimes bearings are hard to pinpoint the sound and sound like they're coming from opposite idk why. A good test is to put load on it at speed, so like when no one is around at 70mph swerve somewhat aggressively both ways.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman75 View Post
This sounds exactly what mine was doing and all mine was due to low air pressure. They were at 25 psi, aired them to 35 and the sound is almost all gone.
Now it very, very faint so I am pretty sure it is just tire-rubber related. These tires still have plenty of tread left but after reading reviews others have stated that the rubber becomes hard at noisy. The tires are the barum bravuris and will be my last set.
Hope this helps.....
Thanks for the comeback. The dealer put our Focus on a vibration system to check it and the tires were ruled out. That was the very first thing I checked as well. I am also on the 1st rotation of the tires, at proper inflation rates of 37 PSI, and the noise is very much still there.

Drive with the radio and fans off between 55 and 70 MPH and listen to see if you still hear the noise, you may be having the same problem. It is not as prevalent in some Focus models, mine is the Titanium Hatch back. Ford is aware of this so it indicates it is a known & documented non-tire related problem.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by standard View Post
I would have Ford replace the front right wheel bearing as well. Sometimes bearings are hard to pinpoint the sound and sound like they're coming from opposite idk why. A good test is to put load on it at speed, so like when no one is around at 70mph swerve somewhat aggressively both ways.
Thanks, FORD replaced the front wheel bearing and the noise is still there.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
soulonfire11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85647
What I Drive: 2002 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 soulonfire11 Good Standing Member
I get the same sound, But since I have a manual, I put it in nuetral when the sound is the worse and it pretty much goes away... Could this be a pulley issue?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
Thanks, FORD replaced the front wheel bearing and the noise is still there.
I wish I knew. My wife is all over me about this noise and says she never will trust a Ford again unless this noise is resolved. The hypnotic humming, much like a meditation chant, almost lulled me to sleep the other night driving 200 miles back home.

Our transmission in our 2012 Focus hatch back is the 6 speed auto and we are in the 6th gear when we notice it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears.
Hi jimmyt,

Sounds like your dealer is thoroughly inspecting it, but please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll assist.

Thanks!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi jimmyt,

Sounds like your dealer is thoroughly inspecting it, but please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I'll assist.

Thanks!

~Natasha
Please provide me with your E-mail ad I will. I do not use twitter or facebook.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Please provide me with your E-mail ad I will. I do not use twitter or facebook.
No problem. I'll send you a PM with it shortly. If you do not feel comfortable providing the information online, you are welcome to contact our Customer Relationship Center at 800.392.3673.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks