2001 TPS and Throttlebody - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
dejapong
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90823
What I Drive: 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dejapong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi, I'm in the exact same boat as you right now -- trying to avoid purchasing an entire TB and wiring harness just to fix the TPS. Were you ever able to find a used XS2A 9B989 AB TPS, or equivalent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
ByondHLP

Fan#:
I just went through the same thing with my 2001 zetec ATX. I tried the tps from autozone for the manual zetec. Started fine but caused drivability issies and sparatic engine codes. I finally broke down and bought the ford TB, TPS, Harness and even an IAC. Now it runs better than ever. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
ZX3_Gomez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75295
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3, 2010 Matrix XRS

FF Reputation: 1 ZX3_Gomez Good Standing Member
Rockauto.com will have them in stock. Mine was shot about 1 week ago.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
focusmart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88687
What I Drive: 2001 Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 focusmart Good Standing Member
Does anyone out there have another solution for a tps/T.B for an automatic Ztec. I bought an 01 that someone swapped out the spi for a 2.0 Ztec. Everything came out of a 01 ZX3.After taking it to 4 shops, including Ford, no one could figure out my shift problems of a late and hard shift into 2nd, a slip and in neverland. I finally found out that someone put a Throttle body/tps from a manual tranny car. I had to cut the mounting tabs off the tps in order to bring the voltage from .039 to a half a volt. It almost shifts properly now except in and out of O.D. sometimes. Bought used correct T.B. but had to return because of bad tps. Ford wants $350 for a new one. Is there any after market ones that would bolt right on? I looked at a used 03 T.B but the tps and throttle hookup was all different. Any ideas. I stuck about $700 into this car already. Thanks. Focusmart.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
the throttle bodies from 2000-2002.5 are interchangeable and 2002.5-2004 are interchangeable. the design of the throttle body was changed halfway through the 2002 production year. you could snag an aftermarket 65mm throttle body from THIS website for around $100 that will fit your car and has automatic throttle linkage hook up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
focusmart
Focus Rookie

Thankyou- If I'm unable to locate one on this web sight, does anyone out there know what brand name may carry one with the TPS included? Hopefully bolt on ready?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
PartTimeMechanic
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92976
What I Drive: 2000 White SE w/2.0 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 PartTimeMechanic Good Standing Member
I purcased a 2000 Focus SE 4 door sedan with the 2.0 Zetec DOHC engine in it. just yesterday the MIL cam on and my scanner gave me the code P1120. So I replaced the TPS with one from Oriely's, and it shifted hard between 1st and 2nd an erattic rpm at cruise, as was mentioned earlier in the post.

Heres what I found from reaserching it and a little help from my buddies over at Ramchargercentral.com (Special thanks to Dodgeboys for this info)

Vehicle Application:

2000 Focus 2.0

Customer Concern:

Check engine light and code P1120. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) was replaced.

Tests/Procedures:

1. At the TPS with Key On Engine Off (KOEO), use a voltmeter to check voltage on all 3 wires with sensor connected. The Yellow should read 5 volts, the White/Violet should read about 0.4 volts and the Brown a good ground. If any are out of range, check for a faulty connection at C190, a Black 16 cavity connector on a bracket, rear of the right strut tower. If in doubt, use jumpers to bypass the connector on these 3 wires and recheck.

2. If voltages OK, check the TPS signal voltage at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) pin 89 (White) for the same as recorded at the sensor. If different, trace harness to locate and repair concern.

3. If the voltage is the same, replace the throttle body per Ford Special Service Message (SSM) 16157.

Tech Tips:

PLEASE NOTE: This applies on the ZETEC 2.0L engine ONLY (8th digit of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) = 3). The following is the text of a Special Service Message (SSM) from Ford: 16157 2000-2002 FOCUS, AUTO 2.0L ZETEC - MIL / DTC P1122 SOME 2000-2002 FOCUS EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE AND 2.0L ZETEC ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED WITH DTC P1122, THROTTLE POSITION (TP) CIRCUIT LOW INPUT. INTERNAL COMPONENTS OF THE TPS HAVE BEEN IMPROVED TO PREVENT THIS CONDITION. TO SERVICE, REPLACE THE ENTIRE THROTTLE BODY WITH PART #2M5Z-9E926-AA. FOR VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE JANUARY 3, 2002, TP CONNECTOR PIGTAIL HARNESS, PART # 1U2Z-14S411-AFA, MUST BE INSTALLED. EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/20/2002

So I am curious if anyone came up with a cheaper alternative to this as i was just quaoted $315 for the Throttle Body and $50 for the pigtail.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
focusmart
Focus Rookie

I put the new throttle body part # into google and found a place in L.A. that sells them for $162.05. I'm going to try one of these. I was waiting until after Christmas to do this, now just waiting until payday. The place is called Find it Parts. They look like it's an over the road, big trucks parts place, but they carry that part #. Good luck for the both of us.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
wildfire329
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63404
What I Drive: 2001, twilightblue, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 wildfire329 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Doesnt anybody ebay anymore!?! I got half my focus on ebay, the custom half lol! u just gotta search right, theres awesome deals on cheap and top end aftermarket part all the time... I cant look, ill b broke all the time again lmao!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by et12second View Post
So I contact motorcraft via live chat and they tell me from my vin I need the dy969 tps. It looks like I will be forced to buy a used tps or get a new t body this really sucks.

Jermaine: You will need to select the part#DY-969.

Jermaine: Are there any other FordParts.com part catalog questions I can assist you with today?

you: that is not the style that is on the car.

you: that is the newer style..the one I have now is x52a 9b989 ab

Jermaine: Going off your VIN this is the correct part number for your vehicle.

you: wiuich is the dy871 style but I need to know if it will work with the auto trans

you: what is the dy871 listed for?

Jermaine: DY-871 is for a manual transmission.

you: ok then there is no tps in the olde style for an automatic

Jermaine: DY-969 is for a automatic.

you: yes but that is the new style...I would need to buy a whole new throttle body in order for it to work

you: look at the pictures of the dy871 and the dy969 they are different style tps

Jermaine: Please hold.

you: ok

Jermaine: There is no difference in the illustration. Going of the VIN you have provided me I am showing that DY-969 is the correct part number for VIN# 1FAFP363X1W183792.

you: well I dont mean to ba a jerk but that is wrong..Ford changed the desighn and has a kit for the throttle body and new style tps Part # 2m5z 9e926 bb

Jermaine: PLease hold.

you: so basically I have to buy a whole new t body and tps and wire pigtail 1u2z 14s411 afb in order to get my car to run correct

you: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=383031

you: that is a picture of the dy969

you: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=383002

you: That is the 971 in the style I have now

you: 871 oops

Jermaine: Are you looking on Fordparts.com for the part?

you: yes I have looked everywhere no one has a tps in the old style for a auto

you: rock auto had good pictures thats why I sent the link to you

you: you can see they are 2 different desighns

you: there is no way the dy969 will fit on my t body wich has part number xs4u je

Jermaine: I apologize for the inconvenience; please contact your preferred ford dealer for further assistance for your part inquiry. I'm not showing any updated parts information for this vehicle.

Jermaine: Are there any other FordParts.com part catalog questions I can assist you with today?

you: i will look for a used part as I will not pay over 300 bucks for a new t body....I appreciate your time

I hate to resurrect a 2+ year old thread. However, I have a question that I wish someone could please answer that is directly related to the subject of this thread. I don't mean to jack a thread either, but considering it so old I don't see the harm. Plus, I posted my own thread about this some time ago and didn't not receive any solid responses.

I have 2000 Focus SE 2.0 L Zetec w/auto trans, which has the OE style throttle body and TPS. If I went with a 65 mm aftermarket throttle body, such as the FC one, what TPS do I need to mate with it? And yes, I understand I will also need the pigtail connector PN# 1U2Z-14S411-AFB. However, is the TPS sensor "DY-969," the one Jermain speaks of in the chat session, the correct one. Is the DY-969 the TPS that is mated with the newer style throttle bodies PN# 2M5Z-9E926-BB or is it a different TPS? From a different thread I gathered that a 2003 Zetec throttle body can be swapped into a 2000 Zetec, but not sure if this is correct. If it is correct then the TPS for that is a DY-970, so which if either is the right one?

Any help would be appreciated, because my junkyard TPS has taken a dive and would like to get going on a parts order. If have to drop money on new throttle body I would much rather go with an aftermarket one than the Ford part since it is about the same cost. I also hear the throttle is a tad more responsive on the 65 mm throttle bodies. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Z3T3C; 11-10-2013 at 04:14 AM. Reason: additional info

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->