Vw wrc - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
in.focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66046
What I Drive: 04 Black ZX3 Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 in.focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vw wrc

What's everyone think about the new VW Polo WRC car? It's look good in the test videos on youtube. Carlos Sainz is the testing driver at the moment...I wonder if they'll pick up some drivers after Rally GB. There are rumors of Mikko, Petter, or Ogier heading that way...

Test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtZE...eature=feedlik

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
5characters
No Mo Fo Fo

Fan#: 78897
What I Drive: 2012 M2 Touring

FF Reputation: 2 5characters Good Standing Member
AGH I wanna car like that so much!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
barryf1fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59847
What I Drive: '04 Infra Red ZX3 SVT w/EAP

FF Reputation: 3 barryf1fan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I like the car alot, looks tough, for a very small VW.

I think Sebastian Ogier would be a great choice, he's fast and I think would excel out from under the "other" Sebastian. 'Course you can't go wrong with Petter Solberg - dude's a nut (in a good way).

It's nice to be good, but it's best to be nice.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
barryf1fan
Focus Enthusiast

btw, can King Carlos still drive or what?! :)

Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
in.focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Carlos did look pretty good in there!

I agree with the Ogier choice, especially since he's young and experienced. That would be a perfect combination for VW to develop the car and a team. Petter would be great too because he is so experienced and still incredibly quick...it'd be great to see him in a factory car again. Either one of those two as a number one driver would allow VW to pick up a young driver as a number two.

As long as the Flying Finns stick with Ford I'm happy! I think Jari-Matti will really challenge for the driver's championship next year.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
in.focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Also, how about Chris Duplessis in Rally GB...how do you think he'll do?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
barryf1fan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.focus View Post
Also, how about Chris Duplessis in Rally GB...how do you think he'll do?
I think he'll do okay... wished I could say he would go over there and kick @$$ and take names, but other countries develop rallying drivers like we develop pee-wee (or pop) football players. Starts at a very young age. Most drivers that do rallying compete in cars they can't legally drive on the road. Americans are just so far behind the curve by the time they get the shot. I know Chris is 24, or something, but he'll be competing against driver that have over a decade of experience by that age. I think McRae started at 6 or 8 years old, or something crazy like that and most of the drivers in WRC have that same type of seat time. Crazy!

I do hope he does well, but may very well struggle. I think his first goal (as with any race driver) is finishing and just gain the experience. If he can finish the car with little drama - it would bode well for him and his showing at Rally GB. Remember how Block struggled last year in WRC (and we know how talented he is), had several DNF's.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
in.focus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryf1fan View Post
I think he'll do okay... wished I could say he would go over there and kick @$$ and take names, but other countries develop rallying drivers like we develop pee-wee (or pop) football players. Starts at a very young age. Most drivers that do rallying compete in cars they can't legally drive on the road. Americans are just so far behind the curve by the time they get the shot. I know Chris is 24, or something, but he'll be competing against driver that have over a decade of experience by that age. I think McRae started at 6 or 8 years old, or something crazy like that and most of the drivers in WRC have that same type of seat time. Crazy!

I do hope he does well, but may very well struggle. I think his first goal (as with any race driver) is finishing and just gain the experience. If he can finish the car with little drama - it would bode well for him and his showing at Rally GB. Remember how Block struggled last year in WRC (and we know how talented he is), had several DNF's.
I was thinking a lot of the same things. It's crazy/awesome how early the Europeans start they're racing careers. I know Jari-Matti also started at the age of 8. That being said, hopefully Chris can hold his own, he is in a class by himself on US soil so he'll finally get a chance to be pushed by other drivers.

I don't know how Chris will fair in the WRC Academy standings, but I'm about 90% sure he will beat Block...because Block still doesn't know how to drive stage rally. He had plenty of troubling finishing Rally America events where his only real competition was Pastrana, ACP, L'EStage, and maybe a couple of others.

That being said, Block has shown that his pace on both gravel and tarmac can be quite impressive...he just needs to link some solid stages together. It's just the consistency that he has trouble with.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
barryf1fan
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.focus View Post
I was thinking a lot of the same things. It's crazy/awesome how early the Europeans start they're racing careers. I know Jari-Matti also started at the age of 8. That being said, hopefully Chris can hold his own, he is in a class by himself on US soil so he'll finally get a chance to be pushed by other drivers.

I don't know how Chris will fair in the WRC Academy standings, but I'm about 90% sure he will beat Block...because Block still doesn't know how to drive stage rally. He had plenty of troubling finishing Rally America events where his only real competition was Pastrana, ACP, L'EStage, and maybe a couple of others.

That being said, Block has shown that his pace on both gravel and tarmac can be quite impressive...he just needs to link some solid stages together. It's just the consistency that he has trouble with.
That's what I was meaning... Block is fast, just doesn't have the concentration. That's where doing it from 10 years-old (or before) comes in to play.

Looking forward to watching the GB Rally this weekend.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
cdsilver02
Focus Addict

Fan#: 16192
What I Drive: PWSC 2002 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 29 cdsilver02 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Reminds me of the early 2000's rally focus, except slower.
CD Silver '02 SVTF : #612 of 4788, 1 of 513
POWERWORKsED!!!
FocusFest '08 Winner Best of Show and Fastest Forced Inducted
ROTM August '12

Midwest crew #2 Boosted Crew #127

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->