DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #51
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
Yet they released an update on September 05 which they then recalled as it did not work

They then released this update on October 02 which solves some problems again only on vehicles built before august 12

It appears that vehicles built on or after august 12 2011 are a different transmission and Ford is attempting to resolve the issue through software and not hardware.

There is no other logical answer as to why the software and build dates do not coincide.
I beg to differ. There was obviously a problem with the September TSB that resulted in a no crank/no start condition. Once they had this fixed, they re-released the TSB on 10/2. My guess is that the original firmware and re-programming setup aren't quite the same. It probably was something stupid like they forgot to put "Make sure the battery is charged before reprogramming." But they didn't and then one person had their car battery die before the flash was finished, and then their car wouldn't start at all. Boom - instant withdrawal of the TSB.

EDIT: And I could totally see it taking a month to resubmit the TSB because that's what happens when you have a big enough company. Things just sit on/in desks for weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #52
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I beg to differ. There was obviously a problem with the September TSB that resulted in a no crank/no start condition. Once they had this fixed, they re-released the TSB on 10/2. My guess is that the original firmware and re-programming setup aren't quite the same. It probably was something stupid like they forgot to put "Make sure the battery is charged before reprogramming." But they didn't and then one person had their car battery die before the flash was finished, and then their car wouldn't start at all. Boom - instant withdrawal of the TSB.

EDIT: And I could totally see it taking a month to resubmit the TSB because that's what happens when you have a big enough company. Things just sit on/in desks for weeks.
No doubt. There's no reason Ford would use a separate transmission entirely, for them to still offer it as the same PowerShift DCT, they would have had to spend the money on developing a whole new DCT transmission (not cheap, that's why we share ours with the Fiesta as is)

So, there's no way and it makes no sense for them to have switched transmissions.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #53
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
So, there's no way and it makes no sense for them to have switched transmissions.
Arguably, they may have changed a component like a solenoid or the dual-mass flywheel or something. But I also doubt that, seeing as how the software update has fixed most issues here.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #54
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Arguably, they may have changed a component like a solenoid or the dual-mass flywheel or something. But I also doubt that, seeing as how the software update has fixed most issues here.
Correct, in that case I would assume they'd recall the cars and swap out said part, as per usual TSBs.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #55
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
Quote:
why are you awaiting new strut bearings, I have been through a couple of sets including new struts, springs and torque bolts, I still have a clunking noise in front end. we are going to try tie rod ends, and or engine mounts next.
About a week after buying the car it makes a loud noise everytime I turn the steering wheel.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #56
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
There is no other logical answer as to why the software and build dates do not coincide.
The Ford diagnostic system (IDS) that the dealers use is updated periodically (usually every 1 to 2 months).
When a new calibration (module firmware) is available, the IDS system "doesn't know about it" until it is updated to the latest revision.

Why did they "recall" the September update?

Nothing was wrong with the new PCM/TCM firmware. The problem was with the reflashing procedure used by the version of IDS that was current at that time. The next version of IDS (available in early October) fixed that problem.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #57
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The Ford diagnostic system (IDS) that the dealers use is updated periodically (usually every 1 to 2 months).
When a new calibration (module firmware) is available, the IDS system "doesn't know about it" until it is updated to the latest revision.

Nothing was wrong with the new PCM/TCM firmware. The problem was with the reflashing procedure used by the version of IDS that was current at that time. The next version of IDS (available in early October) fixed that problem.
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing. As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.

If you look at the sequence of events, they release the vehicle which was similar to the Fiesta transmission in January of 2011. Numerous problems are first reported in the Fiesta line, as I should know as I went through 3 transmissions and a driveshaft before Ford took the car back.

Now being the same transmission is in the Focus, as was in the Fiesta, they are looking for a fix.

Sometime in August they are confident that they fixed it, and released the fix which was applied to every car after Aug-12 production.

They however do not release this fix for other cars until sept-05. A few days later they stop applying the fix, as it did not change anything.

On October-02 they release another fix which apparently works for every car produced before august 12th. The reason before august-12 is because the software was already updated at the factory on or after august 12th.

Thus my question is, if they updated the software at the factory on or after august 12, why did they not immediately release it for the public who was complaining and dropping their stock value, and also leading to consumers reports giving it a negative report and affecting the 2012 Focus's new reputation.

I guess we could say they waited until Sept-05 to make sure the update was not problematic, if this is the case then why not release it as soon as possible to avoid bad publicity.

Ford is now in 20th place of 28 manufacturers and I am sure that they would have done anything to have prevented this.

Instead Ford kept the apparent fix for another 4 weeks and released a fix on October 02, and very silently as even my dealer did not know it was available until I informed them, and gave them this information.

A search of my VIN for the TSB showed nothing, it was this forum that brought forward the information, to allow my transmission to be updated

There is something definitely wrong in the way the was done, Ford does not let it's reputation slide, and new model release go downhill, all because they want to take their time.

I do know, that in the short time I had my 2011 Fiesta, and went through 3 new transmissions, every replacement was newer and different then the previous one, they removed, and this was all done in a little under a month.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #58
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post

Thanks for the information, your posts are always informative and reasoned rather than wild guesses.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #59
Shahe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91168
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Titanium 5Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Shahe Good Standing Member
I just got the TSB done, car definitely feels a lot smoother and more predictable. There is still some low speed shuddering, but it feels like the kind that would actually go away after the break-in period (I only have 600 miles on my car).

I'm quite happy. :)
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #60
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing.
OK, let me try this one more time...

1) On 8/12/11, Ford releases a new PCM/TCM calibration to manufacturing.

2) A few weeks later, TSB 11-9-5 is released for service.

3) Shortly after the TSB was released, the following bulletin was issued:
22051 (AWARENESS) CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON ON BEFORE 8/12/2011
SOME 2012 FOCUS VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011 MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY CONCERNS. THE VEHICLE MAY ALSO EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F OR P2877. ATTEMPTING TO REFLASH THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE WITH IDS RELEASE 74.05 OR 75.01 WILL RESULT IN A NO CRANK/NO START CONDITION AND SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMED AT THIS TIME. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

4) On 10/2/11, TSB 11-10-2 is released:
This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure...
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher.

I did the update a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Just now I opened the TCM calibration file that was used for the update and found the following (in the file header):
Generated on Fri Aug 5 11:15:10 2011

Yes, the TCM calibration file was generated on August 5.
It may be your opinion that Ford should have acted faster, but that does not change the facts.
New IDS versions usually incorporate many updates (it is used worldwide) so it does not happen overnight.

Quote:
As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.
That is absurd. The PCM and TCM calibration files are a matched set and must be replaced at the same time. The engine cannot be running while replacing the PCM firmware (just as you cannot make a phone call while installing a new OS in your cell phone).

When I said "the problem was with the reflashing procedure", I was referring to an internal procedure that is carried out by the IDS software. In other words, there was a software bug with IDS 75.01 that could brick one of your modules.

Bookmarks & Social Networks