DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #21
pil__
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90074
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 pil__ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerDFR View Post
pil_____ are you messin' with us?! Hopefully, yours has the revised programming too!
Afraid not... I guess we'll find out at some point soon when I bring it back to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
seamustry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86768
What I Drive: :::

FF Reputation: 1 seamustry Good Standing Member
mine was built 8/5...pls let us know how the update affects your drive. i've only occasionally experienced hesitation but nothing too bad.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #23
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Well took the car in this morning for several different items and the trans was one of them, Tech drove it and noticed the shudder, flare and flat spot when you hit the throttle, Flashed the new PCM/TCM flash and said it fixed it. Still in the shop for a couple other issues but will see if there is any improvement when it comes home.

Will let you know on initial impression and then after a week or so.

Montana
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Check this article out.............i don't know what to believe

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ly-fixed-now/1
Which article? Alan Mulally on Ford Quality or Prophet Economist Issues Eerie Warning.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Well took the car in this morning for several different items and the trans was one of them, Tech drove it and noticed the shudder, flare and flat spot when you hit the throttle, Flashed the new PCM/TCM flash and said it fixed it. Still in the shop for a couple other issues but will see if there is any improvement when it comes home.

Will let you know on initial impression and then after a week or so.

Montana
It would be awesome if that flash fixes these issues.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #26
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
About to head over to dealership for "the works" and to bitch at the service guy who told me they'd need the car for a few days to see if I'm eligible for this. But I'm all armed and ready to go. Last time they checked out the car was before any of the TSBs for this issue were out, so maybe it was "normal" then, but it isn't anymore. Glad the Ford Owner site is there because otherwise I'd have had to dig out the write-up.

If I get anywhere with him, I'll let you guys know how the car feels when I get it back later today.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #27
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Keep us posted, not only about the performance but any sort of "hassle" dealership may or may not try and give you!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #28
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Keep us posted, not only about the performance but any sort of "hassle" dealership may or may not try and give you!
Well I went to a nice lady advisor instead of the guy I talked to on the phone. Explained to her that the last time I had the car checked out for the same issues was Sept. 1st, before any of the relevant TSBs were released, so maybe they were told to tell customers it was normal then, but now that the update is out... it's no longer the case. I explained that the TSB just updates the programming on the PCM/TCM to improve low-speed driveability and explained my symptoms and she wrote it in.

So, it seems like I got off scot-free today, and didn't have to argue my way into it, I almost wanted to though, that guy is a real @$$. While I was there he convinced an old man to replace his pads and rotors, fuel filter, and some other crap... totaling something like $700. I'm sure he may have needed some brake work, but the rest was the usual upsell. It's funny, he wanted me to leave my car for a few days to "dig deeper into the problem" when the reprogramming is only supposed to take about an hour. What a waste.

I'll update/respond here when the car is done and I've driven it a bit.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #29
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I had my dealer apply the TSB. I noticed when I'm giving it gas it seems to shift later than it did before. It also doesn't "crunch" while downshifting anymore. I think it still rattles a little when shifting up from 4th to 5th (or maybe it's 3rd to 4th) but I'm more than willing to deal with that. I can only hear it rattle when my windows are up, no heat/AC, no radio, and when the phase of the moon is a waxing gibbous

That's my two cents.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #30
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
Got the update today. The dealer I went to was really cool about it, and even shuttled me to work which was really appreciated.

Backing up a step, I simply called the dealer on Friday to set up the appointment today. I had simply said I didn't want to waste my time with the whole "this DCT is different" business, and simply wanted the update. The service advisor initially said, "That internet news stuff is bull crap," as he couldn't find the update for a minute. When it showed, he said, "There it is." and said to go ahead and set up the appointment. Today, after the update, I took the car on a 20-25 mile trip around Tampa Bay, with 90% highway miles, 10% city. Here's some of the areas I evaluated, and what I thought:

Shuddering at lights: Still there, but less prominent. A lot smoother than before, though. Car however has more willingness to crawl up to a light without an accelerator press.

Crawling in R: Better response, don't need to press the accelerator as much to give my car that go to go backwards.

Responsiveness in D while at speed:
Way better. I no longer feel like I'm struggling up hills as the car is more willing to downshift on a press of the accelerator than it was before. Excellent when keeping up with traffic on an uphill.

Responsiveness in D while from a stop:
Way better. Will maintain lower gears longer, and will drop fast when the car detects a maintained speed.

Smoothness of shifts: Better. The car is quite smooth as silk now while upshifting. An occasional torque-converter like shift while going from 1st to 2nd but again, way better than the full-clunk which I got more often before the update. I'm thinking after the "adjustment period" this will get even better.

SelectShift response: Still same amount of delay while shifting manually up/down gears. No improvement here.

Sport Mode: Less clunky on full throttle, but I still need to do more testing with the car in S. Still will keep gears longer than D.

Fuel Economy: 38.2 MPG @ 55-65 MPH on a 20-25 mile loop on mainly level ground with small hills, including some a couple of stoplights. That included several full throttles to merge, and better use of the lower gears while passing. Can feather the accelerator more skillfully now. Glad I can keep the same fuel economy.

Overall Grade: A better car with an hour update. The car really has some zip now. It was worth it. Thank you, Ford!

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->