2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #81
wsdmskr825
Banned

Fan#: 87715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 wsdmskr825 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I too am experiencing the wandering issue and have my service appointment set for this coming Saturday. I'm hoping they will be able to resolve the noise coming from the mirror as well.

p.s. Did anyone see the very small article regarding the issue in this past weekend's NY Times? They said Ford was replacing the "steering gear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #82
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas75218 View Post
So the dealer and us have been waiting for almost a month now for the parts to arrive so the steering issue can be fixed. Is there something about Texas that Ford cannot deliver the parts in a month that other dealers outside of Texas can get in a week?
PM me your info (VIN, contact name/number, mileage, & servicing dealer) so I can determine why this is occurring, and see if anything can be done to expedite the part. Talk to you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdmskr825 View Post
I too am experiencing the wandering issue and have my service appointment set for this coming Saturday. I'm hoping they will be able to resolve the noise coming from the mirror as well.
Hi wsdmskr825,

It's beneficial you scheduled an appointment for your Focus. Please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist. Thanks!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #83
red rooster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91306
What I Drive: 2012 race red se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 red rooster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 2012 Ford Focus View Post
mmmoose, thank you for your response offering me a driving lesson by explaining the difference between electronic assist and hydraulic power steering; as if I understood how electronic assist worked, then there would not be a problem with the steering. Obviously, I need to explain in more detail. As I said in my first attempt to explain the problem, it is not when the car reaches 60 to 65 mph (if that was the case, I could understand what was going on), but after some distance at that speed. I wonder (I am guessing) if when the car senses no activity, such as on a straight-a-way where there is no correction going on to keep the car straight, then maybe the electronic assist shuts down to save on power for better gas mileage. Now, that's when the steering gets stiff. So when you need to correct it to stay centered in the lane, it takes more pressure to turn the steering wheel, then for an instant, the electronic assist kicks in, the steering loosens up, and the car darts in the direction you were correcting it to go. Then it stiffens up right away, so when you correct it back, the process repeats. So I find myself zig-zagging down the lane. Now I find that if I move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly for a few times (not swerving the car, just shaking the steering wheel left-to-right slightly) I can make the car stop acting up and it will drive fine...sometimes for a long distance, sometimes for a short distance. It's like I have to wake up the steering so it will respond normally without jerking when you try to correct it. I hope this is a better explanation of what's going on with the steering.
I have the steering problem also and see it as a major safety issue. Just drove from CA to MN and was exhausted keeping it on the road. When the snow flies, I doubt it will stay on the road. I dread driving back and then arguing with the dealer thinking I am another one of those dumb customers imagining things! And I had really looked forward to the trip in my brand new car..
Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #84
jjessop
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91332
What I Drive: 2012 White se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 jjessop Good Standing Member
Thank goodness I Googled this issue and found these forums. Picked up a 2012 for the Wife last weekend and we just came back from a 200 mile road trip. At times the car would just oscillate back and forth in lane as you could never keep it straight, there was a dead zone and then it would simply kick in and over correct. I thought I was loosing my mind........

I'll take it back to the dealer shortly. It's so bad at times I worry for my Wife's safety. Other than this bizarre issue it's a gem.

Jerry
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #85
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rooster View Post
Just drove from CA to MN and was exhausted keeping it on the road. When the snow flies, I doubt it will stay on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessop View Post
At times the car would just oscillate back and forth in lane as you could never keep it straight, there was a dead zone and then it would simply kick in and over correct.
Hey red rooster & jjessop,

The dealer is the perfect first step in resolving your steering issues. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Talk to you both soon!

~Natasha

Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #86
TrueNorth
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91344
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TrueNorth Good Standing Member
Hi everyone, I must admit when I searched for this problem on Google I didn't expect to find a forum describing exactly the same problem we are having with our 1 week old Focus. It's a great car....until you take it on the highway; it's impossible to drive straight! You try to make a minute change in your direction, the wheel doesn't turn....add a little more pressure the wheel turns like it has notches and so begins the zigzag. We will definitely be taking this back to the dealer for service....I just pray they have been made aware of the problem and know the fix. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #87
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I didn't expect to find a forum describing exactly the same problem we are having with our 1 week old Focus. It's a great car....until you take it on the highway; it's impossible to drive straight! You try to make a minute change in your direction, the wheel doesn't turn....add a little more pressure the wheel turns like it has notches and so begins the zigzag.
Hi TrueNorth,

Welcome to the forum! Your dealer will be able to accurately diagnose your Focus, so there's no need to worry. You are welcome to contact Ford of Canada at 1.800.565.3673 to discuss your concerns as well.

~Natasha

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #88
TrueNorth
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91344
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TrueNorth Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi TrueNorth,

Welcome to the forum! Your dealer will be able to accurately diagnose your Focus, so there's no need to worry. You are welcome to contact Ford of Canada at 1.800.565.3673 to discuss your concerns as well.

~Natasha
Thank you very much Natasha. It's refreshing to see the manufacturer's supportive presence on the forum. Does Ford Canada contribute here in any way?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #89
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Thank you very much Natasha. It's refreshing to see the manufacturer's supportive presence on the forum. Does Ford Canada contribute here in any way?
My pleasure. Ford of Canada doesn't participate on forums at this time, but they are on Twitter as @FordCanada. If concerns aren't resolved by calling into the Customer Relationship Centre, I can also work with my contact there to help.

~Natasha

Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #90
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Natasha , take a look here , this guy went to a dealer and .... well you can see what happened
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270864

This is what gives Ford dealerships a bad name and they just leave people hanging after, see if you can help him

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Last edited by 1turbofocus; 11-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->