Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #71
fordcrazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86801
What I Drive: 2003 white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 fordcrazi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hard shifting

My transmission seems to only act up when i get heavy with gas pedal, shifts very harsh, seems to not shift when should stays in gear longer than i think it should than slams into gear, If i get off the interstate at 70 slow down to 15-20 and smash the gas to jump into traffic it slams into lower gear so hard it throws me back into the seat then shifts hard on up shift and over drive than it is fine. was getting on interstate and it began to shift put paused for few seconds and slamed into the next gear.. this sound like it could be like everyone else and need to replace the solenoid or 2? car sat for a few years
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #72
coop875
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84033
What I Drive: 2000 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 coop875 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
since this thread was brought back to life..

what solenoid is 2-3

also when it is supposed to shift it will sometimes not go into gear and feel like its just being revved in neutral, solenoid? this only occurs on shifting 2-3

was rolling up to a stop light and it locked up aswell, put into park and it ran noram ( with slipping still)

ideas?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #73
Ricky g 863
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91159
What I Drive: 2008 focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Ricky g 863 Good Standing Member
Hey I have a 08 focus se with 37k miles and I seem to be having kind of the same problem as you. What my car is doin is that when you first turn it on,on cold start or when its been running it runs good,but when I stop at a stop light or stop sign or just stop it jerks between gears. So when I take off after stopping it jerks from 1 to 2 and then on 2 it dnt shift to third and so when that happens the motors sounds like it being forced and the rpm is at 3000 or more depending on speed. But when I stop and turn the car off then turn it back on it runs good and then it does the same thing all over again. I took it to a machanic and he said that it was the coils but I changed them and it still doing the same. Please Someone let me know what it it could be so I can get it fixed
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #74
aipsaro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34013
FF Reputation: 1 aipsaro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop875 View Post
since this thread was brought back to life..

what solenoid is 2-3

also when it is supposed to shift it will sometimes not go into gear and feel like its just being revved in neutral, solenoid? this only occurs on shifting 2-3

was rolling up to a stop light and it locked up aswell, put into park and it ran noram ( with slipping still)

ideas?
is your check engine light on? Also, solenoid E shuts off when shifting to 3rd gear
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #75
aipsaro
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky g 863 View Post
Hey I have a 08 focus se with 37k miles and I seem to be having kind of the same problem as you. What my car is doin is that when you first turn it on,on cold start or when its been running it runs good,but when I stop at a stop light or stop sign or just stop it jerks between gears. So when I take off after stopping it jerks from 1 to 2 and then on 2 it dnt shift to third and so when that happens the motors sounds like it being forced and the rpm is at 3000 or more depending on speed. But when I stop and turn the car off then turn it back on it runs good and then it does the same thing all over again. I took it to a machanic and he said that it was the coils but I changed them and it still doing the same. Please Someone let me know what it it could be so I can get it fixed
is your check engine light on?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #76
aipsaro
Focus Rookie

solenoid diagram here and here for part numbers
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #77
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,284, Level 35
Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35 Points: 3,284, Level: 35
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hey I have a 08 focus se with 37k miles and I seem to be having kind of the same problem as you. What my car is doin is that when you first turn it on,on cold start or when its been running it runs good,but when I stop at a stop light or stop sign or just stop it jerks between gears. So when I take off after stopping it jerks from 1 to 2 and then on 2 it dnt shift to third and so when that happens the motors sounds like it being forced and the rpm is at 3000 or more depending on speed.
Hey Ricky g 863,

You may want to bring it to the dealer for inspection, since your Focus may still be under warranty. Let me know if I can help.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #78
Ricky g 863
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91159
What I Drive: 2008 focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Ricky g 863 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aipsaro View Post
is your check engine light on?
Yes my lights is one
Old 11-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #79
Zach man
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91175
What I Drive: 2002 silver zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Zach man Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aipsaro View Post
solenoid diagram here and here for part numbers
these diagrams are awsome man...
i read every post wondering if these were around here somewhere... thank you
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #80
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

Points 468, Level 9
Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9 Points: 468, Level: 9
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Go to Autozone or a local mechanic that will run your OBD-II code for free or cheap. Due to some lame California law Autozone's here cannot loan out OBD diagnostic tools. The Ford dealer hear wanted to charge me $150 just to run the diagnostic scan, so I told him to go fark himself and took it to a local mechanic that ran it for free. Bottom line is that tool should tell you what the problem is (in the case of my '04 I had the same solenoid fail as the OP).

On another note, I just had the same thing happen to OP and it's super easy to fix. With the correct part and all the correct tools on hand, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

OBD-II scan: FREE
Solenoid from Ford dealer: $60
Auto-tranny RTV gasket: $6
6 qts ATF Merc V:$40
Running car: Priceless

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.