DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Bill3rAIL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89058
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5Dr Hatch Silver/2002 Dodge

FF Reputation: 2 Bill3rAIL Good Standing Member
Where can I find this TSB? Is it online where I can print it and bring it to the dealer?
Let me clarify, that I an NOT having problems with the DCT. If I do have problems in the future, I would like the information to get it resolved.
2800 miles and loving it!

2012 5 Door Hatch SE
203A & Sport package with 16" wheels
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
Bill, the most details on what the TSB entails is listed on the New York Times website. Since September, there have been two released, one each, for the Fiesta and the Focus. All Focuses built before August 12 are eligible, as the update was applied to all newly built models after that date.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...sumer-reports/

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
VW drastically increased the warranty coverage on their DSGs, even though their failure rate wasn't nearly as high as Ford's DCT seems to have. I wonder if that'll be the next step in the coming months since I'm sure less than half a percent of DCTs sold are already out of warranty.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Edgar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89037
What I Drive: 2006 F-150

FF Reputation: 2 Edgar Good Standing Member
How can I check for the exact build date of my Focus?
SoCal Crew #7
DUB Edition 2012 Focus Hatch *SOLD*
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87814
What I Drive: FrankenFocus AWD In Progress

FF Reputation: 1 Kickerbeast Good Standing Member
It will be on the door sticker with all the other information. Think that shows the month and year. The dealer should be able to run the VIN and get you the specific date if the TSB gets that detailed.

ZX3 going AWD http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310574
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
VW drastically increased the warranty coverage on their DSGs, even though their failure rate wasn't nearly as high as Ford's DCT seems to have. I wonder if that'll be the next step in the coming months since I'm sure less than half a percent of DCTs sold are already out of warranty.
Are you sure is not the fuel pump instead of the DSG ? Because HPFP failures have been the ones who "scared" me in long term and made me change for a Focus. To pay (after 36K miles) 10K $ to rebuilt your whole engine, THAT'S SCARRY. Not the fact that MFT resets itself from time to time or the DCT shudders the first 5000 miles.

P.S. The DSG, being a "wet" dual-clutch transmission, needs "oil" change every 40k miles. Which is not cheap if you do it at the dealer shop (arround 600 $). The one in the Focus, the DCT, does not need this "oil" change at all (unless defective).
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by descentgate View Post
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.
Looking forward to your comments on how this update improved your drive. My focus was built in May and is eligible for this update as well. The DCT works great and only has a very slight issue with strange vibrations occasionally. I have 7000 miles and slight vibrations have never caused me to worry enough to complain about it.
After hearing about the TSB update for this I am looking into getting this done even if to just improve shifting response and also to take care of any slight vibrations that occur.
Please let us know how it works out and if you recommend this update for others.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90817
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Are you sure is not the fuel pump instead of the DSG ? Because HPFP failures have been the ones who "scared" me in long term and made me change for a Focus. To pay (after 36K miles) 10K $ to rebuilt your whole engine, THAT'S SCARRY.
It most certainly is scary - but that problem was fixed midway through the fifth gen Golf/Jetta run. It's pretty much nonexistent now. But it's definitely cause for concern with the earlier ones. Same thing with the cam follower, which was also warrantied for extra time.

And I'm sure about the DSG. I owned one, still have the letter from VW stating that the warranty was hugely increased. I loved that transmission. Buttery-smooth and lightning fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Not the fact that MFT resets itself from time to time or the DCT shudders the first 5000 miles.

P.S. The DSG, being a "wet" dual-clutch transmission, needs "oil" change every 40k miles. Which is not cheap if you do it at the dealer shop (arround 600 $). The one in the Focus, the DCT, does not need this "oil" change at all (unless defective).
I had mine done at around 40k. Cost me around $240. And I had a $34,000 Golf.

Sounds like someone was trying to sell you a Ford...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by descentgate View Post
Can't wait to hear your results. I'm probably going in for the first scheduled maintenance relatively soon and if all goes well for you, I'll bring it up at my dealership.

Keep us posted!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->