Official Winter Tires Thread: Please post any winter questions here! - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #41
lo-fo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43482
What I Drive: 2012 5dr Ti Sport

FF Reputation: 1 lo-fo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thanks! lastly, do you think the summer tires will be fine for that little of cold weather use (often day trips, sometimes 2 - 3 days, only a handful of times when there's actually snow on the ground)? stupid me didn't realize they were summer tires when i got the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #42
skypie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90877
What I Drive: 2012,Black, Focus 5-Door Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 skypie Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles@tirerack.com View Post
Never a problem. For your vehicle I would recommend the 195/65R15 Blizzak WS70 ($91) and either a steel wheel ($50) or an inexpensive aluminum alloy like the Sport Edition A7 ($85). Personally I like the look of the A7 but there are a few options that are of similar quality and price.
Hi Miles:

I'm reviewing your post dated 09-22-2011 reponse to danc8. I have a similar vehicle with the sport suspension package. Should I also be using the 195/65R15 Blizzak WS70 with Sport Edition A7. What about the sensors.

Best,
Sheldon
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #43
skypie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90877
What I Drive: 2012,Black, Focus 5-Door Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 skypie Good Standing Member
Hi again:

I also have 18" rims and 235 Michelin Sport 3 Low Profiles
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #44
miles@tirerack.com
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85510
FF Reputation: 3 miles@tirerack.com Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-fo View Post
thanks! lastly, do you think the summer tires will be fine for that little of cold weather use (often day trips, sometimes 2 - 3 days, only a handful of times when there's actually snow on the ground)? stupid me didn't realize they were summer tires when i got the car.
Can you do it? Yes.

Would I ever recommend it? Definitely not. Of course your car is not going to spontaneously explode if you don't get winter tires but those summers have no feature that's suited for winter use. No siping or grooves to get through snow, the rubber compound becomes hard like a plastic...it's just not a great idea. At the very least throw an all season on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypie View Post
I'm reviewing your post dated 09-22-2011 reponse to danc8. I have a similar vehicle with the sport suspension package. Should I also be using the 195/65R15 Blizzak WS70 with Sport Edition A7. What about the sensors.
What's up Sheldon! As you're going through the order process there will be an option to add the TPMS sensors to the order. If you choose to do so, we will mount them on the wheels before shipping everything to you. This sensor needs to be synced to your vehicle once you receive it so you'll need to take it to Ford to do that or purchase the Triggering tool we sell.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #45
hurricanefloyd41
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75820
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT 5 Door

Points 331, Level 6
Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 hurricanefloyd41 Good Standing Member
Hey sorry if this is a dumb question but I just don't know.

I've come across some extremely cheap Blizzak Tires that have great tread life on them. However, the tire size is 225 60R16 I am unsure if they will fit my 2004 SVT Focus. Currently I have coil-overs so raising the car a little bit is a possibility but I don't know if that would help fitment. Would these tires fit?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #46
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefloyd41 View Post
Hey sorry if this is a dumb question but I just don't know.

I've come across some extremely cheap Blizzak Tires that have great tread life on them. However, the tire size is 225 60R16 I am unsure if they will fit my 2004 SVT Focus. Currently I have coil-overs so raising the car a little bit is a possibility but I don't know if that would help fitment. Would these tires fit?

The trouble with most coilovers is that while they do a good job of lowering a car they can't raise them very well. Very few can even get a car back to stock ride height let alone higher than stock (especially those that rely on spring compression for adjustment).

Those tires will be about 26.6 inches in diameter compared to 24.2 inches (or so) for a stock diameter tire. That's a significant difference and can easily cause rubbing issues especially if you're lower than stock or even at stock ride height.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
hurricanefloyd41
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75820
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red SVT 5 Door

Points 331, Level 6
Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6 Points: 331, Level: 6
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 hurricanefloyd41 Good Standing Member
I know the coilovers can give me a little height over stock, would that be enough? Also the tires do not come with wheels, would stock 16's work? and last question is that I still have my stock suspension would that be a better option or are the tires still too big?

Last edited by hurricanefloyd41; 10-18-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #48
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Most the tire manufacturers recommend a 6-8 inch rim width for that size tire. Seven inche rim width would probably be ideal and six a little on the pinched side....but would be acceptable.

Another consideration, your speedomenter will also be off by 10%. When it shows 60mph you'll actually be going 66mph. The bigger diameter will also affect final gearing and result in slower acceleration and will add a lot of rotating mass (further affecting acceleration as well as braking).

My personel opinion is that they're too big. For a fairly light car like the Focus a narrower snow tire is better. For 15" wheels 195/60-15 is a good snow tire size size. For 16" 205/55-16 works well.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #49
fockus83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91381
What I Drive: 2003, blue, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fockus83 Good Standing Member
I have an 03 zx3 and will be buying rims and tires dedicated for winter here in WI, and have heard that 14" x5.5" steel rims have been used, will they fit for sure? I heard that people were getting packages for $400 on tirerack but I can only seem to find 15" steelies and with tires would be a bit more expensive. I am on a budget so the cheaper the better, I just want something to keep me from sliding off the road.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #50
miles@tirerack.com
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85510
FF Reputation: 3 miles@tirerack.com Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fockus83 View Post
I have an 03 zx3 and will be buying rims and tires dedicated for winter here in WI, and have heard that 14" x5.5" steel rims have been used, will they fit for sure? I heard that people were getting packages for $400 on tirerack but I can only seem to find 15" steelies and with tires would be a bit more expensive. I am on a budget so the cheaper the better, I just want something to keep me from sliding off the road.
fockus, I'm sorry but we don't have any more of the 14'' steel wheels. I think the ones were had were 14x5.5'' though but making sure the body of the wheel does not taper in too much for caliper clearance will be the main fitment concern. Other then that the 15'' is the best cost option we've got right now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks