SYNC without MFT and Bluetooth audio - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dr. Woo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90817
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

Posts: 277
FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SYNC without MFT and Bluetooth audio

I totally would've posted this in some stickied FAQ thread if there was one, but since there isn't...

I just ordered an SE 5-door with 203A, which includes MyFord and SYNC. I had a specific question about this setup and am hoping an owner can chime in: Will I be able to pair my Android smartphone via Bluetooth and use voice commands to search music? Or is this exclusively a USB feature? If it's only through USB then perhaps I'll just have to put together a USB drive to leave in the car.

"Play artist The White Stripes"

I've read about indexing and the building of voice commands but that seems to be with MFT. How will this work, exactly?


__________________
╠╬╝ 2012 SE Sport - SGM | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)
Dr. Woo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
cottage
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 90102
Location: Grosse Pointe, United States
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Focus Titanium

Posts: 51
FF Reputation: 1 cottage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I believe the answer to your question is yes. I have an iphone which syncs wirelessly to MFT/Sync and it's not an issue. On syncmyride.com Ford does provide a list of compatible phones. This is also a great site for answers to questions about sync and MFT.
cottage is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
ScottMcC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90454
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5spd & A320-232

Posts: 74
FF Reputation: 1 ScottMcC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mine is a 2012 SE 5-door with 203A, just like yours, and yes you can pair it up with your android via bluetooth, use voice commands, etc. You just don't have the touch screen, which based on all the complaints I keep reading we're not missing a thing.

...On second thought, IIRC the voice commands specifically for playing a specific artist will not work via bluetooth, only USB. You have to use the player on your phone to make that kind of selection. But please don't take your eyes off the road!!!

But still I don't think you or I are missing a thing.
SE w/ 203A... most bang for the buck!!!!
ScottMcC is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
GapBoyPCS
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Fan#: 54
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2002 ZTS | 2012 SE Sport

Posts: 103
FF Reputation: 1 GapBoyPCS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
I totally would've posted this in some stickied FAQ thread if there was one, but since there isn't...

I just ordered an SE 5-door with 203A, which includes MyFord and SYNC. I had a specific question about this setup and am hoping an owner can chime in: Will I be able to pair my Android smartphone via Bluetooth and use voice commands to search music? Or is this exclusively a USB feature? If it's only through USB then perhaps I'll just have to put together a USB drive to leave in the car.

"Play artist The White Stripes"

I've read about indexing and the building of voice commands but that seems to be with MFT. How will this work, exactly?
It really depends on whether your Android smartphone is a compatible media player with SYNC. If not, then you're stuck with having to use a compatible media player or USB stick if you're planning to use voice to control the media player.

If you do use a USB stick, make sure you have the right tags on the songs. Simple things like "Dr. Dre" might mean you need to tag your song as "Doctor Dray" because SYNC might misinterpret abbreviations.

Otherwise, you could just have your phone stream via Bluetooth, and use the steering wheel mounted controls for basic controls i.e. volume, next track, and previous track. Voice can work for playing and pausing.
__________________
Richard | GapBoyPCS
The odometer just keeps whizzin' by...
GapBoyPCS is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Lincoln61
Focus Enthusiast
 
Lincoln61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90659
Location: Matamoras, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE Sport 5spd

Posts: 131
FF Reputation: 1 Lincoln61 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Im using both the and ipod hooked in usb and a iphone that have used through the blue tooth set up on my SE. Your answer is yes you can use voice commands with blue tooth.
Lincoln61 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dr. Woo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90817
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

Posts: 277
FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottage View Post
I believe the answer to your question is yes. I have an iphone which syncs wirelessly to MFT/Sync and it's not an issue. On syncmyride.com Ford does provide a list of compatible phones. This is also a great site for answers to questions about sync and MFT.
Indeed, unfortunately my phone (Samsung Captivate) isn't listed, but it's running Android 2.1 so I figure it should have good compatibility. I've been checking Sync sites out there and have gotten lots of great info, but never a straight answer to using music voice search phrases with Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcC View Post
...On second thought, IIRC the voice commands specifically for playing a specific artist will not work via bluetooth, only USB. You have to use the player on your phone to make that kind of selection. But please don't take your eyes off the road!!!
That's what I was starting to fear. I may have to pick up a USB drive. There's only one USB port, right? Or are there two? Would be nice to leave a flash drive in one and have the other available for charging the phone if need be.

EDIT: Found a photo. Only one, bummer.



Anyone know if this thing will play nice with a hub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcC View Post
But still I don't think you or I are missing a thing.
SE w/ 203A... most bang for the buck!!!!
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapBoyPCS View Post
It really depends on whether your Android smartphone is a compatible media player with SYNC. If not, then you're stuck with having to use a compatible media player or USB stick if you're planning to use voice to control the media player.

If you do use a USB stick, make sure you have the right tags on the songs. Simple things like "Dr. Dre" might mean you need to tag your song as "Doctor Dray" because SYNC might misinterpret abbreviations.

Otherwise, you could just have your phone stream via Bluetooth, and use the steering wheel mounted controls for basic controls i.e. volume, next track, and previous track. Voice can work for playing and pausing.
Thanks. That clears up a lot of fuzziness.

One question - I'm guessing in order to build voice commands and allow for quick searching the media library needs to be indexed. How often does this happen? Every time you turn on the car? Does this only apply to MFT?
__________________
╠╬╝ 2012 SE Sport - SGM | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)

Last edited by Dr. Woo; 10-16-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Dr. Woo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89253
Location: Miami, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

Posts: 227
FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi Dr. Woo!

Building media commands is the same for Sync or Sync with MFT.

What's indexing?
Indexing is the way SYNC categorizes the music it finds on your media player.

By indexing the music, SYNC can play selections by track, artist, album, genre and similar music categories. SYNC automatically indexes your music every time the player is connected to SYNC by the USB port.

SYNC will begin playing music after it completes indexing. Indexing may only take a few seconds, but if your player holds thousands of songs, indexing may take longer.

Why do I need SYNC My iTunes?
In order for music to be played on SYNC, it is necessary for SYNC to retrieve and categorize music according to a song’s attributes, or metadata—information about each song such as Title, Artist, Album, and Genre—which is extracted from your music library.

Sometimes this metadata is blank, or contains information that is not recognized by SYNC. SYNC My iTunes corrects errors, such as blanks, in your music library so that SYNC is able access all of the media in your music library.

Do I have to pair my iPod or MP3 Player with SYNC?
You don’t have to pair your iPod® or MP3 Player to SYNC. You can play music through SYNC by connecting your media player through the USB port.

You also can play your media device through SYNC wirelessly by pairing it to SYNC if your music player supports Bluetooth® Audio Streaming (A2DP) Profiles.
JessicaTi is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
2012silversel
Focus Addict
 
2012silversel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83969
Location: Mpls., MN
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

Posts: 785
FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
That's what I was starting to fear. I may have to pick up a USB drive. There's only one USB port, right? Or are there two?
There is a post with pics somewhere on the Forum that shows a second usb port (for those who only have one) behind the center console on the passenger side. If I remember, it's behind the plastic cover on the lower console where your knees would be. The poster plugged in and ran the cord through to by the shifter. Find that usb and you will have the Golden Ticket.
__________________
2014 C-Max Energi
302A Package
Sterling Gray
2012silversel is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Dgc333
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85422
Location: Pembroke, MA
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Posts: 709
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You could also pick up a USB hub, they pretty cheap, most have 4 ports.
Dgc333 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
Dr. Woo
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dr. Woo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90817
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport SGM

Posts: 277
FF Reputation: 0 Dr. Woo Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
Hi Dr. Woo!

Building media commands is the same for Sync or Sync with MFT.

What's indexing?
Indexing is the way SYNC categorizes the music it finds on your media player.

By indexing the music, SYNC can play selections by track, artist, album, genre and similar music categories. SYNC automatically indexes your music every time the player is connected to SYNC by the USB port.

SYNC will begin playing music after it completes indexing. Indexing may only take a few seconds, but if your player holds thousands of songs, indexing may take longer.
So this means there's no indexing memory in the system, I take it? Every time the car starts it needs to index and build media commands?
__________________
╠╬╝ 2012 SE Sport - SGM | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)
Dr. Woo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.