Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 35 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #341
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I know why they didn't tell you that they replaced the spindle and hub the first time you asked.

A spindle is the part of the steering knuckle that the bearings ride on in RWD vehicles. On FWD vehicles what would be equal to the spindle is the outer end of the driveshaft. That's where the big nut is that holds the driveshaft in the hub. In FWD vehicles, the bearings are destroyed by removing the hub. Sometimes the hub is also destroyed, and so a new hub with bearings attached is pressed into the knuckle. I haven't worked at a dealer, but I'm guessing it's standard practice to replace hub and bearings instead of just bearings- like you would on a RWD. I know you can purchase hubs with bearings already pressed to the hub, so that's likely what they did.

Apparently Ford has discovered that there is a fault in the manufacture of the bearings like the ones that are in your car, and has found a solution. I certainly hope the new bearings solve the entire problem before you have to start lithium therapy. You might consider taking some donuts with you when you go in for the bearing replacement before the service advisor ends up on xanax. It seems that they have really been trying to make you a happy customer to no avail through no fault of their own.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #342
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I know why they didn't tell you that they replaced the spindle and hub the first time you asked.

A spindle is the part of the steering knuckle that the bearings ride on in RWD vehicles. On FWD vehicles what would be equal to the spindle is the outer end of the driveshaft. That's where the big nut is that holds the driveshaft in the hub. In FWD vehicles, the bearings are destroyed by removing the hub. Sometimes the hub is also destroyed, and so a new hub with bearings attached is pressed into the knuckle. I haven't worked at a dealer, but I'm guessing it's standard practice to replace hub and bearings instead of just bearings- like you would on a RWD. I know you can purchase hubs with bearings already pressed to the hub, so that's likely what they did.

Apparently Ford has discovered that there is a fault in the manufacture of the bearings like the ones that are in your car, and has found a solution. I certainly hope the new bearings solve the entire problem before you have to start lithium therapy. You might consider taking some donuts with you when you go in for the bearing replacement before the service advisor ends up on xanax. It seems that they have really been trying to make you a happy customer to no avail through no fault of their own.
There has been many inconstancies in what service manager told me from one time to the other.I took a lot of notes and kept all the emails.The spindle is not part of the driveshaft ,it holds it in place.And considering that these parts are not standard stock in the parts department ,it felt funny that they were available when the driveshaft failed to fix the issue.Fault of not ,the car never should have left the assemble line and never should have been sold.I never got a quality car and will never get it.It will be traded soon after I'll get it repaired.This will be my last Ford EVER.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #343
johnmfs2002
Banned

Fan#: 83659
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 johnmfs2002 Good Standing Member
Take it to the dealer...something's wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video View Post
I've been concerned about this transmission as well.

On my first day of ownership, I drove around for a few miles to show off the vehicle and its high tech features to my sister-in-law. Everything was great and we cruised around without incident--until I tried backing up a 12-degree grade to park on my driveway. The vehicle was unable to travel about 35 feet up this grade and I received a message stating "Transmission Overheating - Wait 8 Minutes".

I was a little concerned (and slightly embarrassed) but as soon as I placed the car in drive, the message disappeared so I tried it again. This time, the same results, but the readout changed to "Transmission Overheating - Wait 9 Minutes". I decided it would be better not to back up the driveway that night.

After a few days of commuting to and from work, I eventually took it back to the dealer, who tried to recreate the problem without success. They suggested that they could keep it for a while longer and give me a loaner until they could get it to behave the same way. Or I could take it home and try to get it to reoccur. I had put around 250+ miles on it by now and when I returned home, the problem had gone away.

As I've driven it more frequently, I've discovered the transmission shudder issue that's been described here. I'm now up to around 750 miles and the reverse issue no longer seems to be a problem, but this transmission hesitation that I've been experiencing is very much like what's been described in the forum.

As for my driveway grade, I no longer bother with backing up, but instead I drive about halfway up to find that the car pauses slightly and then reengages about a second or so later, which allows me to drive the rest of the way. It's not a long driveway. Perhaps only three or four car lengths, but the hesitation has been happening each time for about a week and a half. A similar hesitation happens upon acceleration as I turn into traffic, and this is not a comfortable feeling at all. In fact, it seems very unsafe.

For the last ten years, I've driven a Prius with a CVT. Good acceleration, good performance, and a flawless transmission. When my hybrid battery finally failed, I chose the Focus. So far, my gas mileage has decreased from lifetime 42+ mpg over a lifetime of 188k miles, down to around 34 mpg. But overall, there are other, less tangible benefits.

For now, I'll take the advice of others and see if the transmission behavior improves. Based on the way the vehicle drives, I'm somewhat reluctant to show it off to anyone. Which is kind of a bummer. OTOH, if this condition doesn't improve significantly, it'll be a much bigger bummer.
My new 2012 built in September shifts flawlessly. If you are experiencing rough shifts there most likely is something wrong, and I would take it to the dealer and demand they repair or replace it.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #344
johnmfs2002
Banned

I have some contacts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Sorry ,but it's hard to overlook the fact that you started the conversation with some name calling,and also insinuated that I was the cause of my problems.
I'm normally proud of my cars,so driving around in a lemon is far from what I wanted.And no matter how hard the dealership worked on the problems ,the fact is that more than 3 months after the purchase I'm still not driving a good car.Can I recommend this car?NO! Can I recommend the dealership?NO! Can I recommend buying a Ford? Absolutely NOT!

If you were stuck in my situation for the past 14 weeks.Trust me ,you would also want to boycott Ford for the rest of your life.
P.M. me and I will give you some contact info that will get you right to some people who will help @Ford.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #345
johnmfs2002
Banned

Tranny Explosion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
Will a trip over 150 miles void ur warrenty or something? what will happen? tranny explosion? i realize its not the best place to be but maybe if it explodes they'll give u a new one :P
A guy with a Fiesta actually had his Powershift Tranny in his Fiesta EXPLODE it sent shrapnel through the hood! Very dangerous! He was stranded in Texas for a couple of weeks.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #346
johnmfs2002
Banned

Mine worked fine from day one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi everyone,

The Focus transmission has an adaptive learning process that does take some time for the Focus to get acclimated to your individual driving habits. I have the ability to ensure your concerns are documented. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can assist. hoffmanr09, I recommend editing your post to remove your VIN number, as this is a public forum.

Hello serathe,

I'm pleased that you speak highly of your sales rep! Please let me know the results of your search. Have a terrific weekend!

~Natasha
If your tranny is not shifting properly, something is bad wrong. Mine shifts effortlessly, never feel it!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #347
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmfs2002 View Post
P.M. me and I will give you some contact info that will get you right to some people who will help @Ford.
I'm now at a point where I don't give a crap anymore.It's been more than 14 weeks and draw the line.I'm done with Ford.In a few weeks ,I'll get those "magic bearings" and hopefully this wont fix anything and this will force Ford to give me the car they should have given me 3 months ago.If those bearings fix the problem,I'll trade the car right away for a Mazda3.

When cars are made during a labour dispute,clients shouldn't pay the price.Hopefully ,the compensation will be far more than the extended warranty.

P.S. I'm not making this up. http://www.uaw.org/members/uaw-bargaining/ford-hourly .Ford and the UAW finally reached an agreement after months of negotiation.This probably mean better quality control. But after seeing
Ford attitude for the past months ,I will forever stay away from the blue oval.

Last edited by Beepster; 10-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #348
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88737
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titanium Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 cbaldree Good Standing Member
Natasha

My Ford Customer Rep doesn't seem to be interested. Can never reach her. Also she wants to know is if I have taken the car to the dealer. I have several times. She seems to totally ignore my complaints
Old 10-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #349
cbaldree
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88737
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus titanium Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 cbaldree Good Standing Member
Natasha - when is thenew TSB coming out to correct more of the transmission problems we are having? I've bveen told it has been developed but not yet released.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #350
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandycrothers View Post
I currently have 5400 miles on mine, and it still has not smoothed out. I also have horrible issues with the Sync and Nav freezing up,
Hi brandycrothers,

I'm here to help with your issues. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmfs2002 View Post
Mine shifts effortlessly, never feel it!
johnmfs2002,

Glad to hear it. Keep me in mind if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldree View Post
My Ford Customer Rep doesn't seem to be interested. Can never reach her. Also she wants to know is if I have taken the car to the dealer. I have several times. She seems to totally ignore my complaints
I'm unable to speculate on any updates Engineering may be working on, but PM me your info and the details and I'll see what I can do to help. Thanks for your patience!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->