Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem

226K views 378 replies 124 participants last post by  2012 Focus Lemon Owner 
#1 ·
I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in Minnesota in June. The test drive was great (only 3 to 4 miles). When driving the car home (which is about 60 miles from the dealer), after 25 miles or so, the steering seemed to stiffen up and I found myself kind of zig-zaging within the lane (new cement freeway less than one year old). Thought maybe I was not used to the new car, or maybe it was the road? Since then, I payed close attention to the steering. I don't know what causes the steering to stiffen and free up at times. For now it seems to happen only at crusing speed (60-65) after some distance...and the distance seems to vary. So I decided after several hundred miles it wasn't the road or my ability to drive, it was the steering in the car that was the problem. I brought the car back to the dealer to be fixed and they said it drove fine. I asked them how far they drove it, and they said less than 10 miles. I asked them if they would drive it 20 to 30 miles on the freeway. They did, and found the car to be doing what I said it was doing with the steering getting stiff and then free. But they said nothing could be done about it. I am wondering how the car is going to act on ice this winter driving down the freeway. Anyone else hear about, or having this steering problem?

#30 ·
my 2012 does the same thing, ;uckily our dealer is taking our word for it sine it didn't do anything that they noticed on their test drive, it had a fault light that came on whiole out of state on vacation and we had to drive to a ford dealer and sit whil they 'reset' the system. The problem continued and sseemed to mke the car unsafe at higher speeds, we took it back to the dealer and they worked on it and itwas les stiff but still with the serving action at higher speeds, it is back in the shop today and the service manager had spent alot of time on the phone with ford engineering and they are putting in new "steering gears" and i hope that solves the problem. I told the dealer it is difficult to describe but is much like driving a go cart or being stuck in the turbulence behind a big truck when it acts up

#33 · (Edited)
Mn 2012 ford focus guy and Terasah are not wrong about the steering on the 2012 ford focus. My daughter bought one here in Manitowoc Wi. Their discriptions of the steering probblem is spot on.... brought it back to the dealer 2 weeks later with what I would call it an OVERSTEER problem. If you have ever driven a go cart and turned the steering wheel just a little to correct and nothing happens so you turn just a faction more and it shoots you 10 extra feet one way or the other that is what it does. Now she took it for a get away weekend to the great up noth and a light came on in the dash that looks like an EYE she drove it in to the local dealer where she was... It was 4:40 pm with 5 guys standing around waiting to go home and none of them would help her or even take a peak at what was going on./... so she drove to her destonation and the light in the dash went from yellow to red and the steering locked up . Now it needs to be towed and I am pissed for her cuz a ford dealership would not help her because everyone there had to go home right away..... Monday morning I am calling a 800 number for customer service at Ford motor company and tell them what kind of people work in their ford dealerships.

#34 ·
Ok Fordcustomerservice ..... let me ask you this if you read my last thread I will tell you that the car got towed back to the dealership that would not help her because it was time for them to go home........ she is going there tomorrow I'm speculating when I say this...... when the sevice department tells her that ... ( I'm thinking what they will say ) that they cleared her computer and she can drive it home. my question for you is..... If you have a daughter and the steering locks up would you want her driving it back 95 miles to the dealership she bought it from..... Im thinking that whatever happens I think that our dealership should go get it on a flat bed truck and bring it back ... I dont want my daughter getting hurt because of this................. do you agree?[?|]

#35 ·
Hello yamahacreeker,

I know you are upset, and only want your daughter to be safe. I am sorry for her negative experience at the dealer. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

#37 ·
Hi davedcc2012,

I responded to your other thread, but I wanted to make sure you saw it. [:)] Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

#41 ·
FINALLY!! My car is fixed. After havig the service manager ride with me (30 miles one way down the freeway and back) so that we both knew exactly what I was trying to describe about the car's steering; definitely was a problem and needed fixing. It took 3 weeks to get the part (a new rack for the steering), which was no fault of the dealer for the delay. Now my new Ford Focus drives like a dream, as every new car should.

#44 · (Edited)
So... I'm not crazy afterall! I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE a few weeks ago. After a few days of driving it, and especially after taking on the highway for a while, I noticed I had to literally wrestle the vehicle to stay straight. The steering wheel would stiffen when getting up to speeds of around 65 MPH. I found myself fighting the wheel to stay straight. Forget about driving with one hand. I just took the car on a 650 mile road trip this past week and my hands are literally sore from fighting the steering the whole time.

So i took my car to the dealership a few days before my trip and explained the problem. I took the tech for a ride to which he responded, "It feels a bit stiff but thats the way this car supposed to handle because of the electronic steering!". In any case, we got back to the dealship and he pulled up some documents to verify that the 2012 Focus has the 'electronic' steering and this was indeed what i was experiencing and that i just "You probably have to just get used to it!".

I'm glad I found this forum and regained a bit of my sanity.. Now hopefully my car will be fixed without any hassle.. I'll PM Natasha with the info needed.. Thanks guys!

-j

#45 ·
I'm glad I found this forum and regained a bit of my sanity.. Now hopefully my car will be fixed without any hassle.. I'll PM Natasha with the info needed.. Thanks guys!
Hi jmczaja,

Welcome to the forum! Check your inbox! [:)]

~Natasha

#47 ·
All I want more is a Focus travel mug with the disappearing start button graphic that they were giving away earlier this year.
That is completely off topic for this thread which is about people who are experiencing problems with EAS. Please re-read the Forum Rules, and PM me if you have any problems. Thanks for your additions to the Focus community, and nice car!

I will delete both these messages within a few minutes after I'm sure you've seen what's written. Check www.fordaccessories.com for your coffee cup, or PM Natasha for a question like this.

actually it's accessories.ford.com, but I didn't find the cup there after searching the site for it. There are 42 accessories for the 2012 Focus though.

#49 ·
Here's a follow up to document my experiences.. After posting in this forum, a representative was extremely quick to personally phone me and get the ball rolling. I'm very thankful for that, good job!

So I had my 2nd appointment to bring the car back this morning. Brought it in and explained the problem again. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take it out for ride as it was raining and the tech didnt want to take it out for any length of time. The one thing that set me off a bit was when i explained that other people are having this problem and the service guy got a bit condescending and said that he never heard of the problem and that he would be the first to know if there was such a problem. Point taken, perhaps he never did hear of this problem but c'mon, he'd be the first to know? I guess the problem is all in my head? Hahaha.. Nice!

#50 ·
Here's a follow up to document my experiences.. After posting in this forum, a representative was extremely quick to personally phone me and get the ball rolling. I'm very thankful for that, good job!
Hi jmczaja,

Thanks for the update! I'm bummed the rain didn't cooperate long enough for them to test drive. The sales rep should have eased your concerns, and I am sorry that was not the case. Please keep me posted on the latest information. Try and stay dry up there!

~Natasha

#53 ·
Thanks for the support guys.. Brought the car in today and dealt with the service manager. I explained the problem again and even had him take a look at this forum! After looking up part numbers and all that kind of stuff he mentioned that it looked like 'something was brewing' and that it appears that a TSB might be on the horizon? I wish issues like this would be communicated to the dealerships sooner. Without even taking the car out for a ride he ordered the rack. It appears that it is on backorder but should arrive in about a week. I'll post my results once the work has been done. Again, I appreciate all the help from this forum..

-jay

#55 ·
I'm having the same issue. Is there a service bulletin number for this yet. Really scary, because it happens at highway cruising speed. I see it happening when the freeway bends and you have to make small turns. It gives me the same sensation as if the car was hydro planing.

#62 ·
I'm having the same issue.Really scary, because it happens at highway cruising speed. I see it happening when the freeway bends and you have to make small turns. It gives me the same sensation as if the car was hydro planing.
Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections.
Hello drvudoo & texas75218,

The perfect first step is to visit your local dealer so they can inspect your Focus. If they are unable to resolve your steering concerns, please let me know so I can assist.

Just to add to the fury. Just over two weeks old, 500 miles, constant rubbing in the steering started, standstill and all speeds. Turn the wheel, rubbbbbbbbbbb. Dealer had it 3 days and tells me that an unspecified part is special ordered and should be here by November, lol.
Hi RyanD,

Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can see if your part can be expedited.

I'm happy to report my problems were fixed by replacing the entire steering rack assembly! My car now steers as it should and no more zig zagging on the highway/sore hands. Thanks for everyones help in this thread...
I'm glad you are posting about your great experience, jmczaja! [:)] Thanks!

~Natasha

#56 ·
elwood125 posted this on 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM.

The TSB # was not listed, but the part # needed are.

TSB is out for the steering gear concern.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB
11-9-8 STEERING WANDER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/1/2011

Publication Date: September 17, 2011

FORD: 2012 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/1/2011 may exhibit a steering wander at highway speeds over 72 Km/h (45 MPH). Customers may indicate they have to frequently adjust the steering wheel slightly to maintain the direction of travel.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the Steering Gear. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-00.

NOTE: FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED TORQUE SEQUENCE AND TORQUE SPECIFICATION. IMPROPER TORQUE SEQUENCE MAY RESULT IN THE STEERING CONCERN REOCCURRING.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
W714807-S900 Bolt (3 Req)
BV6Z-3504-CE Steering Gear - With 18" Wheels
BV6Z-3504-DE Steering Gear - Without 18" Wheels
CV6Z-00812-A Sub Frame Bolt (2 Req)
W715491-S442 Control Arm Bolt (2 Req)
W520415-S442 Control Arm Nut (2 Req)
W520203-S442 Tie Rod Nut (2 Req)
W520113-S442 Stabilizer Bar Nut (2 Req)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

#57 ·
Steering Issues

Just to add to the fury. Just over two weeks old, 500 miles, constant rubbing in the steering started, standstill and all speeds. Turn the wheel, rubbbbbbbbbbb. Dealer had it 3 days and tells me that an unspecified part is special ordered and should be here by November, lol. Needless to say they are tinting my car for free Saturday, smell a recall coming. Just have to find a way to tune out the rubbbbbbbbbbb for a couple months, lol. Absolutely love the car otherwise. The noise is rather loud however. If I were Ford, I would want this fixed before November as it is very audible outside the car. Kinda sours your taste on it being a new car.......

#58 ·
Steering problem

We took delivery of a 2012 Ford Focus yesterday. Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections. THIS IS GOING TO GET PEOPLE HURT OR KILLED.

#59 ·
We took delivery of a 2012 Ford Focus yesterday. Today on the freeway we noticed the steering wanting to zig zag( as mentioned) It makes you have to correct steering by zig zaging in the lane and does not allow for slight steering corrections. THIS IS GOING TO GET PEOPLE HURT OR KILLED.
FORD customer service says no know issue. Said we would have to pay for repairing a non acknowleged issue. Called dealership and they are not aware of any issue with the 2012 focus. We have had the car less than 24 hours. Going to see if dealership will take car back before we get KILLED on the freeway trying to keep it in the lane.

#60 ·
I'm happy to report my problems were fixed by replacing the entire steering rack assembly! My car now steers as it should and no more zig zagging on the highway/sore hands. Thanks for everyones help in this thread..

Texax75218, don't let them BS you! There IS a problem and it's a DANGEROUS problem. Just because they won't acknowledge it doesnt mean a problem doesn't exist and FWIW they DO know there's a problem. The dealership tried to pull the same crap with me and told me that's how the car supposed to steer and that i just needed to get used to it! Call customer care and get a case #. I'm sure a rep from Ford will see your post in this thread and help you out as well. Good luck.. I'm sure you'll get everything straightened out..

-j

#63 ·
I just came back from my servicer. The info I received was if the car was made before 8/1. My car was made 8/26. Was this issue resolved at the factory after 8/1? The service manager said he would call the tech line and see what can be done.

Ken, the service manager at Fuller Ford in Chula Vista, CA. Drove the car with me in it. He recognize what I was experiencing. The initial diagnoses was NPF and I was quoted by the service advisor there were no service bulletins for this issue.

Thanks davedcc2012 for the info on the TSB.

#64 ·
The service manager said he would call the tech line and see what can be done.
Hi drvudoo,

I'm glad the service manager is working to resolve your issue. If they are unsuccessful, please let me know so I can help get it back on the road for you.

~Natasha

#73 · (Edited)
Natasha,

The servicer did the alignment. The steering did tighten no more over correction. The car still wanders. It doesn't wander all the time. Usually around 60-70mph either there is a quick lane correction due to construction or some other factors. I don't know what triggers the steering going squirrly. I drive in on I-15 in San Diego and there is a bit of construction. There are temp lanes has quick bends. Other than that the freeway is 90% concrete. I'm not sure if there are grooves or slab expansion gaps are throwing it off. I've driven this route for the last 6 years with my jetta, my aura, and my yukon. Never had this uneasiness. I like it to a passenger on a motorcycle leaning against me and I have to fight them to go straight or the direction I'm steering.

Here is the reply from my dealer after I told him that the story above.

Good morning Trung,
I test drove a couple of other 2012 Focuses and I feel that your's handles very similar to the rest of the units I drove since we talked last. All of those unit were also built after Aug.1 2011, this steering feel seems to be normal ride quality for the 2012 focus model line. If you would like to come down and go for another ride, we can compare the ride to another like model.
Ken

#65 ·
Ford Focus 2011 steering problem

My 2011 Focus Tatanium had the steering problem described in several posts: a tight steering spot in central position occuring at highway speed (>120 km/h) after 10-15 minutes driving, resulting in uncomfortable zigzag driving. Once passing a bridge pylon in a heavy side wind it almost resulted in an over-correction disaster. The Ford dealership here in Denmark test drove the car and immediately acknowledged the problem. They tried unsuccesfully to update the power stering software after which they replaced the entire steering rack. All with no discussions at all. The part which included the whole power steering assembly arrived in less than a week and the replacement was put in place in one day. Now the car is a complete new experience. Drives absolutely beautifull with great speed dependent regulation of the power steering effect.
Please don't accept any stories that this is an electronic power steering effect that should be expected and accepted. It is not! It is an error occuring on some new Focus. And it should be replaced. Great thanks to Ford for a responsible and prompt response. Great service!!

#66 ·
The Ford dealership here in Denmark test drove the car and immediately acknowledged the problem. They tried unsuccesfully to update the power stering software after which they replaced the entire steering rack. All with no discussions at all. The part which included the whole power steering assembly arrived in less than a week and the replacement was put in place in one day.
Hello Erikkehn,

Thank you for finding this forum to post your wonderful feedback; it is truly appreciated! [:)]

~Natasha

#67 ·
Awesome.... I've had my new focus for 2 week now and everything was fantastic.... until I decided hop onto the highway last week and the car started to wander back and forth when I got up to speed. I'm a very good highway driver, I drive for a living, so I was not pleased when my Ford Dealer phoned me today and told me the car I dropped off was perfectly fine and I should try to get used to the steering.... now I'm not sure what I should do because this is my very first new car and I love it to bits other than this moderately unsafe Highway behavior.

#72 ·
Awesome.... I've had my new focus for 2 week now and everything was fantastic.... until I decided hop onto the highway last week and the car started to wander back and forth when I got up to speed.
Hi Vaylance,

Have you contacted Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre? If not, you can reach them at 1.800.565.3673 so they can assist. If you have already spoken with them, please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will help.

I just picked up my new Ford Focus SE yesterday and when I took it for a freeway drive I got really concerned about the steering and handling at speeds over 65 mile per hour.
Hello,

I expereinced the same thing, a power steering control failure that shut down the power steering. The car is at a dealer currently. The technician verified that the PSCM failed("failure code 3000" I believe) but hasn't been able to tell me why it happened.
fordswede & NYCZPlan - Please PM me your info (VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state) so I can address your concerns.

Thanks!

~Natasha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.