Highway lane drifting - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #171
fishcat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90434
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 fishcat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm so glad I found this forum, I bought a 2012 focus S 3 weeks ago to cover a 140 mile/day commute and initially really liked the car. After commuting 2 trips I started to notice that I wasn't able to one hand the wheel while in my lane on a straight highway cruise. I thought I was losing my mind because it felt like a detent in the steering at the exact straight line position. I would continually turn back and forth across this detent to maintain a straight line. It was really tedious and I thought it was all in my head seeing as it is a brand new car. After several days of this I decided to look into it a little and contacted my dealer, requesting any TSB info that they knew of. They stated that they didn't know of any but should look at the car. After that I tried google and suddenly found others describing EXACTLY what I was complaining about. I called the dealer back with the TSB info in this thread and they are in the process of replacing the rack. They were really understanding and only asked a few follow up questions, like how far my commute was. Anyhow, other than some of the hardware being on backorder, they are set to complete the work. I can't wait for the work to be completed and thanks tons for this thread validating that my mind is in tact. BTW - my manufacture date is 8-15-2011 and even though this was slightly after the TSB date they weren't in the slight bit hesitant to perform the repair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #172
drvudoo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89975
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 drvudoo Good Standing Member
Just got my car back from the service department. They did not process the TSB. They did an alignment. So far I'm OK with the results. Less slop in the center position. The steering is nice and taut during freeway cruising and doesn't loosen after small turns.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using FF Mobile
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #173
NYCZPlan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90535
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

FF Reputation: 1 NYCZPlan Good Standing Member
Focus SE 2012 steering problems

The power steering on my 2012 SE hatchback failed yesterday. I was driving at about 10 mph, made a left turn, and the power steering went off, with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED displayed. I pulled over and turned the car off, started it again and everything was back to normal. The car is at the dealer now. I sent the dealer a quote from, as well as a link to a post in these forums, with a fix to the problem mentioned: apparently some codes for "High Friction inside Power Steering" had been set. Clearing the codes, and reprogramming the PSCM(power steering control module?) with updated software solved the problem for that person. Hopefully the dealer will read what I sent and fix it. The car has only 250 miles on it!

I was disappointed that they didn't offer me a rental car as a courtesy(well they did, sort of: problem is that I'd have to travel an hour and a half by public transportation to pick up and drop off the car). I realize that a rental car is not part of the warranty, but I thought that they'd give me one without question out of sheer professional pride, given that I've had their new car a grand total of four days before the power steering failed.

I haven't noticed drift issues at high speeds yet. Something else to look forward to.

Last edited by NYCZPlan; 10-05-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: missing information
Old 10-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #174
Fortymile
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85496
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Fortymile Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
Curious, has anyone NOT experienced this highway lane drifting? Because I haven't really noticed it.
My Titanium Hatch was built the first week of August. I just drove it over 3,000 miles from Alaska to California, and in my opinion the steering was just about perfect. No drifting that I could detect. Now that I'm back home I jumped in our 2005 Camry for a bit, and the steering in that car felt very sloppy in comparison (though to be fair the Camry has 130,000 miles on it!)
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #175
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Folks, let's all realize that this steering issue thing is not happening on all of the cars. In fact, it may be a small % of cars.

The issue is real, but let's keep it in perspective. There is a TSB out on it, and the tightening procedure and bolt replacement of the rack bolts / subframe bolts also appears to be important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortymile View Post
My Titanium Hatch was built the first week of August. I just drove it over 3,000 miles from Alaska to California, and in my opinion the steering was just about perfect. No drifting that I could detect. Now that I'm back home I jumped in our 2005 Camry for a bit, and the steering in that car felt very sloppy in comparison (though to be fair the Camry has 130,000 miles on it!)
Like I said, obviously does not affect all cars. I don't know the %...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #176
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
as indicated
Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #177
JMD787
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91481
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 JMD787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm getting the exact symptoms as others in this thread. I drive from Buffalo to Cleveland once or twice a week, about 200 miles one way. My car was built on 11/22/2011. Trying to keep the car centered in the lane, there is quite a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Then because the car is approaching the side of the lane, you are forced to increase the pressure on the steering wheel. Then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and then all of a sudden the car jerks in that direction. It requires so much more attention to drive that after a couple hours I'm exhausted.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #178
Binyana2011
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87240
What I Drive: 2012 RCM Ti Hatch, 2012 Elantra Ltd

FF Reputation: 5 Binyana2011 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortymile View Post
That is one hell of a drive!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #179
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
Trying to keep the car centered in the lane, there is quite a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Then because the car is approaching the side of the lane, you are forced to increase the pressure on the steering wheel. Then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and then all of a sudden the car jerks in that direction.
Ours was built 12/1/2011. I'd say "there is a slight resistance" and "then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and apply power to steering in that direction."

My guess is that this is a characteristic of how the EPS applies power about the neutral center of the rack. The more I let it bother me the more I notice it. My wife seems very sensitive to it. But she has mostly driven just one vehicle for many years (a 2004 Acura TL with very well tuned and modulated hydraulic power steering) and I drive lots of different ones and (want to?) just view this as a characteristic.

Neither of us have driven more than 40 highway miles at one time.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #180
Dondi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91943
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Sedan 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 Dondi Good Standing Member
I don't know if any one else has suggested this, but have you checked the tire pressure? Mine came 5 psi over the recommened 35 psi. Once I corrected the tire pressure the car handled a lot better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks