The "Official" Suspension Thread - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #121
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Like crap and will handle even worse. You should have replaced the shocks 70K miles ago! Shocks have a useful life of 50 to 60K miles.
I don't mean to step on your toes. I completely agree with you that the shocks need replaced. I'm just speaking from experience on a budget. Do you think SVT shocks would work with a 2" drop cause they run fairly cheap. Being SVT is 1.5" lower than stock.

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #122
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus-Rookie View Post
How about the handling? I plan on getting 18x8 rims in the future... Give it a 2" drop for now. How much would the h&r shocks cost?
I honestly think it handles fine. But I'm sure it'll be better with new shocks, I have 18x7s and they rubbed like a bitch in the turns before I "rolled" the fenders.

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #123
Focus-Rookie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88864
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Focus-Rookie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I purchased the car 4 months ago with 123k miles... I was looking for svt suspension but no one is selling so i gave up. Now I'm looking for a 2 ish inch drop with great ride. Now that you mention that, maybe not 2 inches.. i don't want to rub.. my hatch is full with 100 pounds of speaker box haha
Old 09-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #124
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Quote:
I purchased the car 4 months ago with 123k miles... I was looking for svt suspension but no one is selling so i gave up. Now I'm looking for a 2 ish inch drop with great ride. Now that you mention that, maybe not 2 inches.. i don't want to rub.. my hatch is full with 100 pounds of speaker box haha
You can get a full SVT suspension from ford racing for around $500 shipped.

Edit: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6782

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #125
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

They also have this on which is a upgrade for the SVT spouse to get another .5" lower.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8880

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #126
Focus-Rookie
Focus Rookie

And its just fordracing.com?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #127
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Quote:
And its just fordracing.com?
fordracingparts.com I posted the links above just click on'em.

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #128
Focus-Rookie
Focus Rookie

Yeah, i saw that after i posted. :P sorry. Thats not bad. The upgraded svt suspension. 320 before shipping.. ill look into that one! Thanks a bunch! :)

Jake
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #129
NutZ-X3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90570
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 NutZ-X3 Good Standing Member
Not sure anybody will see this post from a nube cuz the thread lists 135 posts and I can only view 128...

I'm just looking to replace my factory '02 SVT suspension. FRPP kit M-18000-ZX3 looks like what I need if replacement of seemingly fine springs isn't needed. They do have the same 168K as the rest of the car...??? Obviously I don't treat the car the same at this mileage as I did nearly 10-years ago when it was new. I've already tried it lowered 1/4" more than stock but didn't like the front rub on lousy Ohio roads.

Is there anything else I should consider replacing also at this mileage? All bushings etc 'appear' fine. I am considering the Steeda strut tower brace just to add rigidity to an aging car.

What is good for the rear that would be compatible with the stock SVT suspension? Would the adjustable rear camber arms, or the bolts, or the Ingalls camber shims, all listed @ Summit continue to provide the same handling characteristic's if I were to dial out the tire chewing I've experienced since new back there?

Like I said, I'm a total nube to doing anything on this car. It's provided me with great times and transportation since May 02 with very little hassle or headache. Well, aside from a set of tires every year ;)

One problem I'm running into is that as the FRPP phone guy advised me, they don't take orders. There are no area dealers either where I could spend my money locally. If I go too far from NC Ohio, shipping will eat me. Summit doesn't honor the employee discount I should be able to get from Ford either. Anybody know a source where I can get Ford parts with my discount, that the shipping won't eat the savings?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #130
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
I don't mean to step on your toes. I completely agree with you that the shocks need replaced. I'm just speaking from experience on a budget. Do you think SVT shocks would work with a 2" drop cause they run fairly cheap. Being SVT is 1.5" lower than stock.

The SVT is more like .5" lower than other Focus models.... not 1.5". The SVT shocks are successfully used with 1.5" drop Ford Racing springs. My best guess is that the SVT shocks (while good) would be taxed by a further drop and/or spring rate increase (spring rates normally increase the lower you go).

Bookmarks & Social Networks