2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #141
BeeTee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90068
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Gray

FF Reputation: 1 BeeTee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Washburn, you described exactly what i am experiencing to a tee but i think you forgot to add that it rolls back on a hill like a manual car would. In fact, you did such a good job i will print it and bring it with me when i head to my dealership. Oh god, i'm so sad that this could be a long lasting issue for me as well, i just want to cry I'll let you all know how it turns out for me in a couple of weeks after my dealership appointment, i'm hoping they will be nicer to me up here in Canada.

P.S. And I will not accept what seems to be the common excuse of the car needing to be "broken in" What a bunch of BS!

Last edited by BeeTee; 09-21-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #142
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
My real problem is the grinding I often hear which is sometimes accompanied by slipping and jolting. I took my car in for servicing and asked about the problem. The service rep barely gave me a shrub of the shoulders. So my question is, where is this software update that Natasha keeps mentioning resolves some issues. The dealer has no clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
I have 12,000 miles on my 2012 Focus now and the problem with the shaking is not getting better but worse. It shutters (or hunches as my husband calls it) when you try to take off, it shifts like some one who does know how to drive a straight drive (and it is an automatic). Any ideas on what to do now.
Hi Tiburon & washburn,

I'm sure it is frustrating when the dealer is unable to diagnose your transmission issues. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
There is no break in "procedure" documented in the owners manual about the transmission.
Hello csvt2060,

The following break-in procedure is listed on page 5 of the Owner's Guide: Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee View Post
I am experiencing the exact same thing, automatic transmission can not accelerate from 1st gear into 2nd with out the car shaking and feeling like it will stall!! I have to find the time out of my schedule to actually go to the dealership.
BeeTee,

Bringing your Focus to the dealer is the best first step in easing your worries. The dry dual-clutch gearbox has different sounds and sensations than normal, and they will be able to inspect it and provide the best course of action. No one likes unexpected services, so they may have a courtesy shuttle so you can wait in comfort. I hope once your concerns are addressed you will be confident of your Focus.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Last edited by FordService; 09-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #143
danc8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90141
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 danc8 Good Standing Member
Shake, Shudder and No Roll

I posted this on the generic 2012 issue thread but now see that this thread is more specific.

Purchased a 2012 Focus Titanium from Yorkdale (Toronto) two weeks ago for my wife. After driving it for two days she complained that it shudders when idling, lurches when accelerating and the steering makes noises when turning. Brought it to dealer. One service consultant said its a known problem but no fix as yet. Service manager says it is unknown problem but bring it in.

Won't go into the unbelievably poor customer service (in 2011 you treat customers like this, seriously?), but service mgr says he cannot duplicate problem and no code comes up on computer. Says he'll re-flash the computer. Keeps it overnight.

Re-flash done, wife still notices same problems with lurch and shudders and steering. Added bonus: one touch window down no longer working. Thanks for checking the car before giving it back Yorkdale.

Now they say they will come to my wife and fix window problem (another re-flash apparently). Okay, but they previously said to leave it overnight to fix the window problem.

As a side note, they say shudder will go away after system re-learns wife's driving behaviour. She asks: "what about the multiple drivers on this car with different behaviours, how does the system 'know' who to match to?" Yorkdale: "We never thought of that."

My wife is completely soured on this vehicle.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #144
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8 View Post
Brought it to dealer. One service consultant said its a known problem but no fix as yet. Service manager says it is unknown problem but bring it in.

Won't go into the unbelievably poor customer service (in 2011 you treat customers like this, seriously?), but service mgr says he cannot duplicate problem and no code comes up on computer. Says he'll re-flash the computer. Keeps it overnight.
Hi danc8,

I'm sorry to learn of your negative opinion of the dealership and your unresolved issues. Customer satisfaction is extremely important to us, so I recommend contacting Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673 so they can document & assist with your situation.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #145
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post

Hello csvt2060,

The following break-in procedure is listed on page 5 of the Owner's Guide: Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

~Natasha
This part refers to the engine only and is the same for the manual and Auto.There's nothing at all about the double clutch transmission break in procedure.Sounds like a way to buy time.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #146
Trackertx-17
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89525
What I Drive: 2010 SE Hatcback Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Trackertx-17 Good Standing Member
Moose is wrong. Th car should not shudder at low speeds, or at all, take it to another dealer. I did.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #147
Trackertx-17
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89525
What I Drive: 2010 SE Hatcback Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 Trackertx-17 Good Standing Member
Moose is wrong. The car should not shake it is a defective clutch, take it to another dealer. I did.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #148
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackertx-17 View Post
Moose is wrong. The car should not shake it is a defective clutch, take it to another dealer. I did.
Tracker,

Did you get the issue resolved? If you did what did they do that corrected the problem?

I am hearing some that say there is a TSB for this and my dealer as well as a parts person that is a member here looked it up and saw nothing in the way of a TSB. I don't know if some dealers are getting to try the fix to see if it works before they make it widely available.

Montana
Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #149
washburn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90107
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 washburn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee View Post
Washburn, you described exactly what i am experiencing to a tee but i think you forgot to add that it rolls back on a hill like a manual car would. In fact, you did such a good job i will print it and bring it with me when i head to my dealership. Oh god, i'm so sad that this could be a long lasting issue for me as well, i just want to cry I'll let you all know how it turns out for me in a couple of weeks after my dealership appointment, i'm hoping they will be nicer to me up here in Canada.

P.S. And I will not accept what seems to be the common excuse of the car needing to be "broken in" What a bunch of BS!
Yes, I did fail to note that it rolls back on a hil jsut like a manual. If you hit the brake and stop it again, it might hold, but initally when you stop it does roll back on the hill. I cannot believe that I have finally hav some back up in thse threads that others are having these same issues. What a mess. Again, I really do like the car once it is on the open road, but this shifting issue really is frustrating.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #150
blackcervini
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74083
What I Drive: 01 Supercharged ZX3, 05 ST

FF Reputation: 5 blackcervini Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
All of the issues you guys are describing are the same we have had at the dealership. Earlier the mention of new technology and break-in time to get it right is sometimes inconvience to customers. Please understand at the dealership we wish you never had a problem and only had to come in for maintenance and true repairs, no warranty issues. People can be rather rude and unforgiving when their car is acting up, and I am now going to take it away and hope the repairs we do are the final answer. Trust me we want it fixed. When it comes to the 2012 Focus there is the added challenge of the new transmission and a price tag kind of up there. This is a car that gets much better gas mileage than before and will only get better. I understand the frustation but remember going to another dealership is your right and should not be looked at negatively by the dealer you choose. Ford Customer Service Reps get it from every side, Ford, Engineering Reps, Owners, Service Managers, and you guys, etc... I have heard them go to bat more than once for a customer that keeps their cool and lets the process work. As for the transmission, remember it has two clutches and if my 48 year old mind remembers clutches need a break-in period. I read that someone was getting conflicting info from the service advisor and manager, welcome to the human race, we also make mistakes. Yes, communication should be better. Let's look at it this way. When a Doctor is trying to heal your illness he will prescribe medication and if it does not work he will give another until it works. His business is called a PRACTICE and I am willing to bet few complain too much. But our business is auto REPAIR and the vast majority of people demand it be repaired right the first time. None of our guys have 8 year degrees, but seem to some amazing work with 20 years worth of different cars and engine combos. There is only one human body, seems a little unfair to demand perfection. Just one man's opinion

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->