2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #131
2012TI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87295
What I Drive: 12 titanium blue candy, 2001 SVT co

FF Reputation: 1 2012TI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In response to BeeTee.. Do yourself a favor and open Google and research engine break in and transmission break in. So because you have not heard of it, are you saying that nascar engine builders are dumb. They build there engines with the tolerances a lot more forgiving but those same engine only run one race, then they take them apart and rebuild them. The only need to last for that race. Consumer’s vehicles can last for over 350,000 miles with proper up keep..

Take a look at this link

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #132
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TI View Post
In response to BeeTee.. Do yourself a favor and open Google and research engine break in and transmission break in. So because you have not heard of it, are you saying that nascar engine builders are dumb. They build there engines with the tolerances a lot more forgiving but those same engine only run one race, then they take them apart and rebuild them. The only need to last for that race. Consumerís vehicles can last for over 350,000 miles with proper up keep..

Take a look at this link

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Many modern day cars don't need break in period.And for those who need it ,normal driving while avoiding hi revs the first thousand miles may help your powertrain longevity in the long term use.If you only keep the car 3 or 4 years you won't see much difference.

As for Ford's problems with the 2012 Focus ,it's far from only a break in issue.And if the problems were so isolated,Ford wouldn't be fighting those of us who simply want a normal working car.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #133
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Now there is some real BS getting thrown around in this thread. There is no break in "procedure" documented in the owners manual about the transmission. There is a reason there is a TSB out now for specific build dates. Please save us the bandwidth and stop defending Ford on this issue. If you don't experience nor care about this issue, good for you.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #134
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
I was contacted by my Ford dealer today and they said there was not a TSB issued for the trans for any time period. I don't know who originally stated there was but maybe they were mistaken.

Montana
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #135
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I was contacted by my Ford dealer today and they said there was not a TSB issued for the trans for any time period. I don't know who originally stated there was but maybe they were mistaken.

Montana
Not sure I mentionned it on this thread,but I did post a TSB relating the problem with my car.The dealership did replace the transmission for nothing.

Here's the TSB :

SSM #.21985 2012 FOCUS DRONE/WARBLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING
SOME 2012 FOCUS MAY EXHIBIT A DRONE OR WARBLE NOISE OCCURRING AT 50-70 MPH. THIS NOISE MAY BE ORIGINATING AT THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS. RECOMMEND USING CHASSIS EARS TO ISOLATE THE NOISE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/04/2011
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #136
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Not sure I mentionned it on this thread,but I did post a TSB relating the problem with my car.The dealership did replace the transmission for nothing.

Here's the TSB :

SSM #.21985 2012 FOCUS DRONE/WARBLE NOISE WHILE DRIVING
SOME 2012 FOCUS MAY EXHIBIT A DRONE OR WARBLE NOISE OCCURRING AT 50-70 MPH. THIS NOISE MAY BE ORIGINATING AT THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS. RECOMMEND USING CHASSIS EARS TO ISOLATE THE NOISE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/04/2011
Nope wasn't you, The one I am referring to was for the Shudder issue with the trans. But thanks for posting as at least we get a idea on what is out there for TSB's.

Montana
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #137
Beepster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Nope wasn't you, The one I am referring to was for the Shudder issue with the trans. But thanks for posting as at least we get a idea on what is out there for TSB's.

Montana
Your welcome.The funny part is that the dealership went straight to the transmission as a possible cause.But now that they wasted a lot of time and money in my car ,they wont touch it until Ford release another TSB ,meaning I could wait months before getting my car fixed.After 3 month I'm pretty fed up with this crap!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #138
washburn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90107
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 washburn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi hgrizzard,

I am truly sorry for the hassle you are experiencing with your shifting concerns. I understand that it is very frustrating to have to worry about your brand new car shaking all over inside, especially to the point you are unable to even have a cup of coffee. It is positive news that the dealer is actively working to diagnose your issue. I would like to assist in resolving this for you. Please PM me your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer so I can try to help.

~Natasha
I have 12,000 miles on my 2012 Focus now and the problem with the shaking is not getting better but worse. It shutters (or hunches as my husband calls it) when you try to take off, it shifts like some one who does know how to drive a straight drive (and it is an automatic). It is now making the rattle sounds like a straight drive when you fail to down shift in a timely manner going up a hill. It is ridiculous that Ford can't figure out how to make this better. I love the car, how it drives once it gets going and the ride, but for a new car to act like a manual transmission and the driver has never driven a straight drive is ridiculous. It even jumps forward like you popped the clutch at times going into 2nd or 3rd gear or like it skips a gear. The dealer also told me that Ford said this is all normal and the car needed time for the clutch to break in. Well, 12,000 miles should be borken in enough to be getting better not worse. Any ideas on what to do now. Let the transmission fall apart and then Ford has to fix it??? Or can the dealer not try to find some kind of solution to this.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #139
bryantest
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72040
What I Drive: Focus 5 door (used to drive)

FF Reputation: 4 bryantest Good Standing Member
1) I have not visited this forum for MONTHS..

2) I wouldn't had believed what the auto magazines were complaining of the odd shaking behavior of the Powershift tranny until experienced it myself last week..drove my aunt's 2012 Focus SEL rental car.

YIKES!!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #140
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
I have 12,000 miles on my 2012 Focus now and the problem with the shaking is not getting better but worse. It shutters (or hunches as my husband calls it) when you try to take off, it shifts like some one who does know how to drive a straight drive (and it is an automatic). It is now making the rattle sounds like a straight drive when you fail to down shift in a timely manner going up a hill. It is ridiculous that Ford can't figure out how to make this better. I love the car, how it drives once it gets going and the ride, but for a new car to act like a manual transmission and the driver has never driven a straight drive is ridiculous. It even jumps forward like you popped the clutch at times going into 2nd or 3rd gear or like it skips a gear. The dealer also told me that Ford said this is all normal and the car needed time for the clutch to break in. Well, 12,000 miles should be borken in enough to be getting better not worse. Any ideas on what to do now. Let the transmission fall apart and then Ford has to fix it??? Or can the dealer not try to find some kind of solution to this.
Hi Washburn,

In my experience the dealer will not attempt to resolve a issue that Ford won't pay for (And I do understand that). It really is a shame that Ford will not accept the fact that there is a issue and something needs to be done about it. With 12,000 miles on the vehicle and them telling you it needs to break in is just a bunch of BS. I am wondering if they are just going to let this issue slide until the 2013's come out and then address it. Maybe go back to a automatic with a torque converter in it. Sometimes technology will bite you in the butt and it is doing just that to Ford right now. There are many here that will claim it is not a issue but it is hard to understand if you are not in the same position as those of us with the problems. Maybe the magazine test drivers that have documented the issue don't know how to drive or break in the vehicle either.

Only thing I can recommend is file a complaint with the NHTSA located here, It only takes a few minutes to do and with enough of these Ford may end up having to fix this issue. If this issue is as isolated as Ford states then they should not have any problems repairing the defective vehicles.

Montana

Bookmarks & Social Networks