Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#37 ·
I just went to Home Depot and picked up a can of the black spray. At some point this weekend I'm going to put a little on my hood to create two more flat black stripes (on the outer lines of the hood). If all goes well, I may just paint my winter wheels with it!

#40 ·
You may have a problem doing that. If you try to tape off an area with painters tape, the Plastidip will stick to it and lift of the surface you sprayed. The only way around that is to score the edge with a razor knife. And you don't want to do that. it will not stick if it's still wet. But you need multiple coats for coverage.

#42 ·
This is what I did with the tape.
I taped, I sprayed, I pulled the tape when it's still wet.
I went back and forth a few times with about 10 seconds between a swipe across
I usually do about 4-5 passes. I then rip the tape off and admire.

If you want more coats just retape and add more
There's a picture somewhere I think on the plastidip site where a guy did a design on his Corvette with this stuff

#43 ·
Using this stuff beats the hell out of spending a shit load of money on paint and vinyl. You can get creative with the different colors and not affect the paint of your car at all. You can make a variety of paint jobs for different car shows and make it appear as if you have done something different to your car each time someone sees it. Then once you are tired of it, you just peel it off.

#46 ·
Yeah, I saw that same corvette post. That looks like the way to do it and still get sharp lines. Tape -> spray -> immediately remove tape before it dries.

If I lose just a little bit more of this hangover, I'll get out there and try it!

#48 ·
So I painted the stripes on, and it was a great success. A little bit of a learning experience though...

I waited 30 seconds after I finished spraying before I took the tape off. That was too long. One spot on the edge of my first stripe is a little jagged because of it. The good thing, though, is that I was just experimenting. I didn't do a very good job of taping the first stripe, and it shows. So I'll leave it on for a few days, see how it holds up, then peel it off and consider putting slightly more permanent ones on when I have more time to spend on taping. I'll post some pictures in a bit.

#49 ·
So the two stripes in the center of the car (left side of this next picture) are vinyl. The outside stripe just above the headlight is Plasti Dip.

In this next picture the same is true - the center stripes are vinyl, and the outer stripes are Plasti Dip. As I mentioned in my prior post, I'll need to peel them off and repaint them in the future, though...since I really did a terrible job of taping. From 20 feet away they look fine, but when you get close, you can tell I did a terrible job. The most interesting part to me is that the Plasti Dip has almost the exact same texture as the vinyl stripes. You can't really tell them apart.

Edit: Flat black stripes on a gloss black car are kind of difficult to show in a photo unless it's overcast, so my apologies if the pictures aren't the best.

#51 ·
That was one coat. I did a really, really thin coat, then about 20 seconds later layered it on real thick. That's the reason I wanted to wait a little while before I removed the tape - I was afraid I'd get some paint running if I moved it too early. But apparently this stuff dries pretty quickly! But then again I WAS in direct sunlight and my car is black...not exactly optimal painting conditions.

#57 ·
So apparently the blue spray is ridiculously rare. I was only able to find it in two places:

1. ebay
2. AWarehouseFull.com

At both locations the blue rattle can paint was significantly more expensive than the other colors. Any ideas why the blue is more rare/expensive?

I ordered two cans from AWarehouseFull.com, so hopefully it's what I'm looking for!

#58 ·
So apparently the blue spray is ridiculously rare. I was only to find it in two places:

1. ebay
2. AWarehouseFull.com

At both locations the blue rattle can paint was significantly more expensive than the other colors. Any ideas why the blue is more rare/expensive?

I ordered two cans from AWarehouseFull.com, so hopefully it's what I'm looking for!

Please let me know what it looks like cause I am tempted to find some and do some interior work with it.

#60 ·
Also, in case anyone's wondering what shade of blue it is, here are some pics I found (pretty close to grabber/neon blue, I'd say):

#62 ·
Well I want to start by replacing my vinyl hood stripes with grabber blue stripes. If I like how the blue looks on the black, I plan on incorporating it elsewhere on the body. I'm a long ways off from deciding on anything specific yet (there is much photoshopping left to do), but whatever I decide on will be thin lines and probably subtle. I think neon blue will stick out enough without being in gigantic strips across my car. But we'll see how it turns out!

The main idea is that I want to incorporate a secondary color into my car. I'm torn between flat black, dark gray, or grabber blue. Flat black is almost too subtle, but grabber blue might be too much of an eye magnet. But with the magic of Plasti Dip...I don't have to make any permanent decisions until I've tried everything!

#63 ·
You know the body line across the door? You can slip it there and see how that goes

The blue wheels look pretty nice. Too bad blue won't go well with my car.
I just looked up the red however.. that's a different story.. but red wheels might be too much? no?

#64 ·
Perhaps, but worst-case scenario you just peel it off and tell no one about your mistake!

#69 ·
That's a really good idea! Give your car a winter coat! :D

#70 ·
If we had seasons here in Houston I might do a winter coat, but our seasons are, summer, and hell. No spring winter or fall just heat and humidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.