Some more questions about tuning - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
sderycke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88436
What I Drive: 2005 silver zx5 ses

FF Reputation: 1 sderycke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Some more questions about tuning

Guys,
I guess I'm a bit confused about this tuning stuff. I have almost 40 years industial experience with VFD's (variable fequency drives) and PLC's (programable logic controls). When we make a change in a program it happens instantly. You keep talking about adaptive learning, and I don't get it.
I am considering a tune in the future once we do a few other mods and repairs. My strategy would have been, since we drive an ATM, to have it set up so OD (overdrive) off up shift pressures, increase acceleration and go b@!!$ to the wall, then OD on use a mileage program, to stretch that dollar out when traveling and such. This is a DD and we have different needs at different times.
How long does it take a tune to really work, and if you leave the tuner plugged in can you change tunes "on the fly" so to say, or do you need to restart your car each time you change tunes. Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Adaptive learing is the ECU learns over time , you have short turm memore and long turm memory ,
Short turm is chanes right now , say your fuel is off by 10% it changes it instantly , with long turm it over time changes the 10% and keeps it out

Me I turn off the adaptive , I feel it has bad habbits and I dont like it

Plug my tune in , take the Batt loose to clear the long term memory and when you start the car your on the new tune right then

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 DX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sderycke View Post
My strategy would have been, since we drive an ATM, to have it set up so OD (overdrive) off up shift pressures, increase acceleration and go b@!!$ to the wall, then OD on use a mileage program, to stretch that dollar out when traveling and such. This is a DD and we have different needs at different times.
Can you even do this? My car is ATX 3 speed with O/D and what ive noticed is any changes to the tranny go on BOTH modes. If i change shift pressure or the RPMs it seems to shift later in the upper RPM range with O/D on or off.

Also what is ATM? is that just the same auto tranny i have in my 07?

I would LOVE to have a tune like that. Have it shift early in the lower RPM range with O/D is on but like you said when its OFF be ba11s to the wall shift hard and late in the upper RPMs Kind of like a DD mode and a race mode. One more for economy shifting soft grandma style

I would really like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post

Plug my tune in , take the Batt loose to clear the long term memory and when you start the car your on the new tune right then

Tom
I was just about to ask this. What about using the SCT tool to "clear codes" ?

Here is what happened to me the other day. Put on this new header, got the top (upstream) sensor mixed up with the bottom (down stream) sensor mixed up. Figured it out before i drove it but i had started it to let the header paint burn off for about 10 minutes.

The next day we changed the sensors but i didnt clear the ECU by pulling the battery. I drove it like this about 5 miles and it ran like 11-12 a/f the whole way. Then threw a code (P2196) "02 sensor biased/stuck rich b1 s1"

I cleared it with the SCT and then it ran fine after that. So my question is, after a tune can we just "clear the codes" and will this be the same as pulling the battery?

It seemed to work with the 02 sensor issue.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
sderycke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88436
What I Drive: 2005 silver zx5 ses

FF Reputation: 1 sderycke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, so I called it a ATM and others call it a ATX, mine is supposed to be a Auto 4 speed with overdrive. I'm guessing that my idea of switching tunes " on the fly " won't work, because you have to reboot the ECU, but I'm wondering if you can change the shift pattern so if OD is turned on will it skip gears once you hit selected RPM's, or something like that. Since it is a daily driver in Upstate NY,(only you folks in the northeast, UP of mich., and New England will know what "lake effect" means) we need to be a bit less aggressive when the weather changes fast. It is used for a lot of errands and deliveries, and to and fro for school, etc. so it barly gets parked.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 DX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well i want this if it is possible. It would almost be like 2 different tunes.

If one shifted had and agressive and the other was smooth and early that would be great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks