2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #81
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89714
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus

Points 1,193, Level 18
Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18 Points: 1,193, Level: 18
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 DVolpe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have always used K&N and loved them. I just ordered the filter today and going to get the Prefilter in a little. and as for everyone saying the Focus is an economy car and sluggish at low RPMs. I havnt run into that at all. The other day I raced my friends Acura RSX-type S (H&R race intake, full catback exhaust, and race skunk 2 suspension). I actually beat him off the line and was a sliver ahead up until about 3rd gear is where he started to pull away(but kinda slowly pull away). But the integra's top end is its specialty. Im not saying its fast but it has got a good amount of power for a compact car.

And this wasnt just a fluke. I went from a 30 roll for fun with my friends Cadillac CTS and once again got him early on but his V6 took advantage but I was able to keep up with him. All in all im very impressed by the Focus performance and putting on an intake will def help let the engine stretch her legs better.

Thanks for the post Newmission! great mod and love the decal haha, is that just your last name or a friends garage name? could have fooled me for a professional company haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #82
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,193, Level 18
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I have always used K&N and loved them. I just ordered the filter today and going to get the Prefilter in a little. and as for everyone saying the Focus is an economy car and sluggish at low RPMs. I havnt run into that at all. The other day I raced my friends Acura RSX-type S (H&R race intake, full catback exhaust, and race skunk 2 suspension). I actually beat him off the line and was a sliver ahead up until about 3rd gear is where he started to pull away(but kinda slowly pull away). But the integra's top end is its specialty. Im not saying its fast but it has got a good amount of power for a compact car.

And this wasnt just a fluke. I went from a 30 roll for fun with my friends Cadillac CTS and once again got him early on but his V6 took advantage but I was able to keep up with him. All in all im very impressed by the Focus performance and putting on an intake will def help let the engine stretch her legs better.

Thanks for the post Newmission! great mod and love the decal haha, is that just your last name or a friends garage name? could have fooled me for a professional company haha
Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #83
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVolpe View Post

Thanks brother! I have a Cavalier, Cobalt, 2 Accords (early 90s & late 2000s), Newer Civic Si, and Ram 1500 under my belt so far. All at the track of course, as talking about street racing here is illegal.

As for the decals. My brother is a professional graphics designer. He just whipped me up something with my last name in it. Wanted it to look like it was a special edition Focus decal or something along those lines. As though to graphic belonged there from factory. Have fooled a lot of people so far....who don't know my last name.

Best part about this mod, is that it all looks factory. I'd bet it would fool some service techs!
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #84
DVolpe
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,193, Level 18
Level Up 93% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmission View Post
Thanks brother! I have a Cavalier, Cobalt, 2 Accords (early 90s & late 2000s), Newer Civic Si, and Ram 1500 under my belt so far. All at the track of course, as talking about street racing here is illegal. !
The new si eh?! good to know, and of coarse all done at the track! Once spring/autocross season comes around ill definite be testing out what this focus can really do! cant wait for that with the handling on this bad boy.

And Im going to be graduating with a Graphic design degree from Baltimore and was admiring the design work on the decal. tell him he did a great job for me
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #85
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
Wouldn't it be better to put a pre-filter over the hose end that's inside the air box? That way bugs won't collect in the box.

Craig9080, don't forget, you'll have to reset your windows for auto up and down if you disconnect the battery.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #86
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ms paint!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug81 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to put a pre-filter over the hose end that's inside the air box? That way bugs won't collect in the box.

Craig9080, don't forget, you'll have to reset your windows for auto up and down if you disconnect the battery.
Doug, you may be on to something. I am going without the prefilter for now as the $10 setup fee for something that they have already made 2 of is not the right thing in my mind, but i could probably work that down/off when I call.

On another note, during an extended period of inactivity at work I have developed the stunning simulation of what I plan todo below. The holes will be a medium size and alternate and an off-set linearly parallel manner to produce optimum airflow with decreased wind resistence

TRANSLATION:

I'm board at work so i played around in paint to make a crappy diagram with more holes.

I think this would work well. By not drilling the whole thing I am decreasing air that I THINK may not make it to the intake at speed and thus only adds friction and not intake pressure.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #87
newmission
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84688
What I Drive: YB-MK3-MTX-SE-OG Sport-HB

FF Reputation: 5 newmission Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug81 View Post
I have a brand new black Outerwears pre-filter that will do the job for $6 shipped to anyone who wants it. :) This was my original intentions. But after long deep thought. I had to answer the question, what is the ultimate goal here? To get fresh cold air as close to the point of intake as possible with the least amount of resistance as possible.

Putting the pre-filter over the hose is a deterrent to the last part of that statement I believe. I want as much fresh air freely swirling around that air box as possible.

But PM me if you want to give it a try, and I'll send it your way!

And lookin good Craig9080! That is the one thing I would do different. But not to an extreme. My goal was still to blend with the over all grille design.
Hatch Nation #110
Debadge-and Drive Naked
Home of the Free Blacked Out Grille Mod, and Griffin Ram Air Mod.
Get you some!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #88
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
Doug, you may be on to something. I am going without the prefilter for now as the $10 setup fee for something that they have already made 2 of is not the right thing in my mind, but i could probably work that down/off when I call.
You could use any of their pre-filters that fit over the hose.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #89
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Maybe in the future.

Doug, I know that, and its very tempting to do, but unfortunately I share the same worry as newmission. My degree is in Computer Science so I know very little about fluid dynamics. There is just too many things that COULD impact performance and sometimes its the smallest thing that makes the disproportionately huge change in the result. I know in some instances even adding a small obstacle actually improves air flow, so I just don't know. Newmission seems to have made a pretty good setup through a mixture of thought, trial and error, and luck. So I'm first trying to replicate his results and then work on improving them.

I agree with newmission that more holes should have been used, but I also think that they should be positioned differently, thus I am making them a little smaller, closer together, and concentrated closer to the tube end
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #90
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,548, Level 73
Points: 12,548, Level: 73 Points: 12,548, Level: 73 Points: 12,548, Level: 73
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I would think a black heavy gauge screen would be better than a bunch of random holes in the plastic.
Actually a heavy gauge black screen mesh in to replace the plastic with the added holes. Then set behind that, a second identical screen back a quarter inch. (or even a pattern drilled in a solid block, or vanes tilting UP diagonally to kill direct water intake
This would smooth out the air coming in and it would be an even, higher pressure zone at speed inside the cavity. The random small holes one cannot tell what effect they have at speed. With the air near a hole being pushed one way, and the air at the hole being buffeted by the adjacent no hole area bounced off airflow.. (a mess aero wise)

Bookmarks & Social Networks