2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #111
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I will assume you are talking to me,so I will reply.

My car as a pulsating noise and vibration coming from the front of the car between the speeds of 50 and 70 MPH.Only a few cars have the issue.
Hi Beepster,

Just saw this post, but I did reply on your other thread. I'm glad your dealer is working on a solution for your issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmichael View Post
I've had my 2012 Focus with PowerShift transmission for almost two months now with just under 3,000 miles on the odometer. I really love the car, even with the transmission idiosyncrasies. After coming from an '09 Focus, even my wife agrees that the car rides so much better than the '09 model.

While I anticipate a reflash for the transmission being issued by Ford within the next few months, my big beef with Ford is that it seems that most salesman don't have any idea of how this transmission works, and as such, they can't explain what to expect to their customers. And if that's the case, then Ford is wasting thousands of man hours in dealing with this "non-issue."

Also, it seems incredible that Ford is telling people to expect a 10,000-mile break-in period for the transmission. That bit of information should also be conveyed to the prospective customer prior to making the sale.
Hi jsmichael,

Thanks for being a repeat Focus owner! I'm thrilled to read of your positive feedback on the 2012 Focus. We are improving dealer/customer communication regarding our PowerShift transmission so customers are familiar with the different sounds and sensations that are part of this new system. The dealers are reviewing concerns on a case-by-case basis to ensure that it is one that will smooth out, as many have experienced. If you are worried, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help. Have a great evening!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #112
jake1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88064
What I Drive: 1994 grey mazda protoge

FF Reputation: 1 jake1 Good Standing Member
JSMichael, I am glad your car is working fine but the problems on this blog are not just isolated unlucky instances but must be idiosyncratic to the transmission. I looked into buying a focus which looks so good on paper but so far have desisted. In the meantime, just for fun, I checked the Lexus version of Focus Fanatics. It will be instructive for all of you to take at look at their site. Not a single complaint of the magnitude we hear on this site. All their issues are trivial compared to the issues and anger displayed here. This transmission problem must be addressed by Ford. Burying their heads in the sand will not make it go away. Beepster and all the rest have right to be very upset. Ford ought to recall what happened to Packard Motor Cars in the 1950s when they had an issue with their cooling system that they tried to bury. There is no more Packard. Ford needs to pay attention to these complaints because those who forget history may have to repeat it. Natasha, I am sure, is a great girl but she cannot fix your car for you just by being a fine cheerleader.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #113
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
JSMichael, I am glad your car is working fine but the problems on this blog are not just isolated unlucky instances but must be idiosyncratic to the transmission. Natasha, I am sure, is a great girl but she cannot fix your car for you just by being a fine cheerleader.
Hi jake1,

As you can see from the site, the majority of posters are very pleased with the Focus. There are some who had early concerns, and they have smoothed out as the Focus learned the shifting strategy. Others are resolved with a software update, and those with lingering issues are escalated. You are correct, though, I cannot fix the car myself. That's why we have a great team, from technicians to engineers! Have a good afternoon!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #114
ymbiz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88843
What I Drive: 08 Mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 1 ymbiz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I will assume you are talking to me,so I will reply.

My car as a pulsating noise and vibration coming from the front of the car between the speeds of 50 and 70 MPH.Only a few cars have the issue.
I had a 2005 Mazda3 that had a similar sounding problem. In our car, the drivetrain would shimmy at 50-70 - similar feeling to a wheel balance problem, but a higher frequency vibration. We could feel the vibration from the front of the car, but also through the shifter, and only under load (not coasting). It didn't matter what gear we were in, and a different set of wheels didn't make any difference. In our car, the problem appeared in its first year and gradually got worse over time. Changing the motor mounts (as per a TSB) made a mild difference, but didn't solve the problem. We never went as far as asking the dealer to change the axles or transmission. We loved the car, but finally sold it at around 60k because I didn't want to deal with it any more.

My thought is that the engine mounting design for the 05 Mazda3, while very good at isolating vibration, might be somewhat prone to oscillation if there are minor imbalances or out-of-tolerance parts. The Mazda3 motor mounts were FoMoCo; maybe the 2012 Focus design has similar issues?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #115
Beepster
Banned

Fan#: 88947
What I Drive: Black 2012 Elantra GL

FF Reputation: 1 Beepster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbiz View Post
I had a 2005 Mazda3 that had a similar sounding problem. In our car, the drivetrain would shimmy at 50-70 - similar feeling to a wheel balance problem, but a higher frequency vibration. We could feel the vibration from the front of the car, but also through the shifter, and only under load (not coasting). It didn't matter what gear we were in, and a different set of wheels didn't make any difference. In our car, the problem appeared in its first year and gradually got worse over time. Changing the motor mounts (as per a TSB) made a mild difference, but didn't solve the problem. We never went as far as asking the dealer to change the axles or transmission. We loved the car, but finally sold it at around 60k because I didn't want to deal with it any more.

My thought is that the engine mounting design for the 05 Mazda3, while very good at isolating vibration, might be somewhat prone to oscillation if there are minor imbalances or out-of-tolerance parts. The Mazda3 motor mounts were FoMoCo; maybe the 2012 Focus design has similar issues?
Even if Mazda kinda separated itself from Ford,many of the component of the Focus are shared with Mazda.As a mechanic ,I got a real hard time believing that the engine mounts could be the problem.I use to own an 06 Mazda3 and some road noise appeared the moment I rotated the tires.The day I replaced all the tires the problem was fixed.I also replaced the tires on my car but it didn't do much.I didn't told the dealership what part to replace ,they did it on their own and now they won't touch it until Ford release a TSB with a solution.It's been 11 weeks and I'm less than impressed with this BS.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #116
Tiburon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90033
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Tiburon Good Standing Member
Help!!!

I've been having some of the difficulties mentioned on this thread. I have a 2012 Focus SE with just over 6K miles. I've done my best to ignore some of the shaking I get in the shifting since it technically is a manual transmission (I think I can shift a manual a lot better than this car's computer), but that being said, my real problem is the grinding I often hear which is sometimes accompanied by slipping and jolting. I drive very softly, attempting to get peak fuel economy, but I did notice the problem isn't quite as bad if I push it a bit harder.

That was all until I took the car out of town. I live in a very flat area. When I took the vehicle to an area where there are hills and inclines, things went from bad to horrible. This was the worst driving experience of my life. I was afraid that, at any moment, my car would grind to a halt. The noises were horrible and the vehicle often would not respond to the accelerator being fully depressed, which nearly caused me to be in an accident on more than one occasion.

I took my car in for servicing and asked about the problem. The service rep barely gave me a shrub of the shoulders. I guess they have only sold a few of these and mine was the first that had seen back. I asked if there were any software updates and he said no.

So my question is, where is this software update that Natasha keeps mentioning resolves some issues. The dealer has no clue.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #117
Old TU
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87303
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Old TU Good Standing Member
Jake1,
I doubt that there were many that cross shopped a Lexus with a Focus. Check out the Lexus site and the least expensive vehicle is $29,000 and it is a hybrid. As you know Lexus is the upscale line of Toyota. Check out the blogs for Toyota for the last few years. You may have noticed that Toyota plays it very safe by making very gradual changes. The Corrola and Camry, both very good cars, look and drive the same as the did five to seven years ago. Playing it safe helps check the quality scores up.
On this blog many of the comments are of concern. People aren't familiar with the transmission because it doesn't shift like a torque converter transmission. There are valid issues the that need to be taken care of.
Another relatively new transmission coming into production is the CVT. Nissan has being using them for several years now. The first production CVT's had problems and recalls.
The general public as well as the car industry should get better informed about the product they are purchasing and selling.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #118
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
I took my car in for servicing and asked about the problem. The service rep barely gave me a shrub of the shoulders. I guess they have only sold a few of these and mine was the first that had seen back. I asked if there were any software updates and he said no.

So my question is, where is this software update that Natasha keeps mentioning resolves some issues. The dealer has no clue.
It blows my mind why Ford can't keep the dealers informed about the vehicles they are selling and servicing.

It makes everyone look like an idiot, especially when the customers know more about the issues than the people servicing.

And it puts the customer in the position of being the "guinea pig".
Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #119
BeeTee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90068
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Gray

FF Reputation: 1 BeeTee Good Standing Member
2012 Ford Focus Transmission Shaking !!!!

OH MAN!!! I really wish I had read these before i purchased this car...i was afraid that it was only me having this problem but now i'm even more afraid to hear that so many more people are experiencing it as well. I am experiencing the exact same thing, automatic transmission can not accelerate from 1st gear into 2nd with out the car shaking and feeling like it will stall!! I am terrified that i wll be stuck with a lemon. I called Ford Canada and they acted dumb saying they've never heard of this problem before, now I have to find the time out of my schedule to actually go to the dealership and try to get an answer or more lies about this!!! I am so disappointed and mad right now!!!! Why didn't I just go Japanese like I said i would
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #120
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee View Post
OH MAN!!! I really wish I had read these before i purchased this car...i was afraid that it was only me having this problem but now i'm even more afraid to hear that so many more people are experiencing it as well. I am experiencing the exact same thing, automatic transmission can not accelerate from 1st gear into 2nd with out the car shaking and feeling like it will stall!! I am terrified that i wll be stuck with a lemon. I called Ford Canada and they acted dumb saying they've never heard of this problem before, now I have to find the time out of my schedule to actually go to the dealership and try to get an answer or more lies about this!!! I am so disappointed and mad right now!!!! Why didn't I just go Japanese like I said i would
BeeTee,

Well as you can see now you are not alone with these issues, I traded in my 08 Cobalt for this pos and now those of us that have these issues are stuck with a vehicle that Ford is either unwilling or unable to repair. I much like you did not come here first or did it occur to me to check this place out before purchasing this vehicle. I guess we pay for our mistakes, Damn expensive mistake though. Anyway I have talked to all who I can talk to and have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and there are a few others that have filed various complaints about the 2012 Focus. Not all of the owners have these issues and I wish Ford would realize that support of the new vehicle and customers that are having issues is very important to ensure their return to purchase more vehicles in the future. I am beginning to think the outlook of Ford on this is if 80% of the vehicle owners are happy or willing to accept a defective product then they can write off the other 20% (20% being us that don't like the current issues with the vehicle). Well hang in there and go to the dealer and at least get it documented, In the future that may help getting this issue fixed.

I think we all bought the Focus on the styling and features that you get compared to other vehicles on the road, But when driveability has to take a back seat to styling there is a problem and Ford needs to address it. All I can say is hang in there and hopefully Ford will step up to the plate and make this right for the owners with issues.

Montana

Bookmarks & Social Networks