Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What neat tricks and tips have you've found since owning?

727K views 1K replies 388 participants last post by  antbarlow76 
#1 ·
Just wondering what features, tips and tricks people have found since owning?

For me I found the hidden menu to be neat. Holding trip/reset down while starting car shows the menu. Holding again for 5 seconds returns you to normal operation.

Salesman didn't know that the SE has a line in for mp3 players. Inside glovebox on top.

#124 ·
I have an auto...and I have been an "eco champion" a couple times. For the shifting, it would first say something like "see manual"...but depending on how you drive, you could earn a trophy and it will let you know.

#125 ·
correct. auto's don't have eco mode, that photo is from an automatic transmission (notice the shifter display).

earning the trophy seems to be pretty easy. i get them constantly, but you have to have the eco screen up for it to pop up i believe. i've never seen it pop up if i was watching mileage. the easiest way is to coast down a large/long hill, highway driving at a constant speed will get it too. it's much tougher in stop and go city traffic.

#130 ·
Yeah....not sure why they didn't put a left foot rest up there or something. First car in a long time that didn't have it.

#135 ·
There are two little 'cubbie' storage boxes underneath the mat where the spare tire is located (in the hatchback). What would those be used for? Gloves for changing the tire? Towels? Cleaning supplies?

#140 ·
For me, the Parking Assist functionality is useless, but since it had everything else I wanted decided I'd go ahead and accept it (plus the dealer discounted it further since it was a selling point).

Anyways....I'm tickled to death I have it now because it's been a blast to engage it when I have someone in the car and they're not aware, especially kids. They totally freak out when the car starts backing itself into a space...totally freak out! I usually get it setup without telling them, then when it gives me the info all is good, I pick my hands up and look them straight in the eye while the car does it's thing. You have to look them in the eyes because their expression is priceless and it REALLY pays off if they're in the back seat!

Truth be known, it still freaks me out too. It's a bit disturbing to not be in control while it zips into a space...and it does...it zips. Absolutely wastes no time in doing it.

#147 ·
actually when you turn on the left turn signal it looks on both sides of the street. at least that's what i read somewhere.

i tried it out a few times, was very impressed with it. it got me into a spot i would have never tried on my own. unfortunately getting out of that spot was a bit tricky, took a few back-and-forth maneuvers, so be careful where you let it park you! it will get you in, but it does not to work to get you out (it should, but i can see why this would be dangerous).

i will rarely use it as i rarely park in a city street environment, but it is kind of nice to have. i do like the rear camera though!

#150 ·
The room in the hatchback was very limited due to the full size spare. I removed the spare, and all the styrofoam inserts and put the amp in the spare tire well, and put the OEM cover back on. Gives you a lot more room for road trips/vacations. Better have the roadside assitance though LOL.

#151 ·
Connected my iPod Classic with Composite cable so I could not only get music, but also view any video downloaded to it. The problem with that is it's quite a bit of cabling added in a car already short on room.

Solution: purchased a relatively small Sony video camera bag and placed the iPod and 75% of the cabling in it and tucked it underneath the driver's seat. Can't see it at all.

The plus to it is if/when I have to drop the car off at the dealers, run it through the car wash, or whatever....all I have to do is unplug it from the console, tuck the rest of the cable into the bag and carry it with me. Has room for my cell phone and whatever else may need to throw in there.

My wife calls it my "man purse" but I immediately flash the 'Sony' side to her to remind her it's a camera bag! If I'm not vacating the car, it stays in the car at all times. Just hate things lying or rolling around in the car.

#154 ·
There's a slot in my glove box door - I'm 94% sure it's for your insurance card. Awesome, right?

#156 ·
I've been parallel parking a ranger on the street for the last 2 weeks, kinda solidified my choice of not getting parking assist. The rear view camera would have been nice though... Oh well, Focus is much shorter than a truck.

And driving downtown, I wouldn't even think to try and parallel park in the left side of the road. Parking assist would be handy but I rarely ever go downtown, and leaving my car there would scare me into finding a garage anyway.

#161 ·
Just realized this the other day, and sorry if it has already been posted:

when in reverse, and you hit down on the windshield wiper knob, the front and rear wiper on the hatchback move, compared to just the front. if your not in reverse, you need to use the little switch on the knob to turn on the back wiper. thought it was clever

#162 ·
I love the fact that the stereo turns off when exiting the vehicle...never had that before.

Also, my mother got in the passenger side and forgot her seat belt. Not long after the belt warning chimed. Never had that go on for a passenger forgetting to buckle-up- just for the driver.

These both may be commonplace now, but I had my last Focus for ten years. My ZX3 didn't even have intermittent wipers...I had to install that myself!

Cheers.

#163 ·
A lot of awesome stuff here, some of which I had already known.

All I have to add is an iPad in a shoulder bag will it in the glove compartment.

#693 ·
I use a canvas carry bag for my iPad 2. It's in a Griffin Technologies Armored case. Yes it fits. Now I need a longer cord so I can run it to the center console spot for USB. Maybe get a hub. Run that and the Blackberry.

#164 ·
I like the radio refusing to play until the seat belts are connected. A+ seat belts. I never will drive unless passengers are buckled up. (I tell them i REFUSE to have to possibly decide to save my ass and kill them 'cuz THEY are not wearing belts..)
And the radio staying on until i open the door, also cool.
Both fun things.
So far my voice command is a total failure. the system just has no clue what i am saying. Lucky I only have the primitive version in my SE.
If i had a TI I might be annoyed.
Then it is funny the 'test' function calls up various colors in the dash screen. And the menus are blue only. What good is that?

Like my wipers, used them first time today. Perfect, no problems (Used RainX on windows.) wipers move smooth as can be. I an not very impressed with the rear wiper..It should be articulated to wipe a greater area of the window.

#166 ·
i just read this in the manual which is pretty cool...

The system will sound a tone to warn the driver of obstacles near either bumper in the following manner:
  • Objects detected by the front sensors will be indicated by a high pitched tone from the front radio speakers.
  • Objects detected by the rear sensors will be indicated by a lower pitched tone from the rear radio speakers.
  • The sensing system will report the obstacle which is closest to the front or rear of the vehicle. For example, if an obstacle is 24 inches (60 cm) from the front of the vehicle and, at the same time, an obstacle is only 16 inches (40 cm) from the rear of the vehicle, the lower pitched tone will sound.
  • You will hear an alternating tone from the front and rear if there are objects both at the front bumper and rear bumper that are closer than 10 inches (25 cm).

#169 ·
I agree. I'm not a super-aggressive driver, so I feel like I don't change lanes quickly enough for just 3 flashes. I need AT LEAST 5...

#171 ·
Depends on the situation. If I'm changing over quickly with no one in the way, 8 to 10 times would be way too long. If I'm signalling that I want to change and am hoping for someone to let me in, then 8 to 10 times probaly won't be enough with the less-than-polite drivers around Seattle.

#172 ·
Legally, you only need to indicate that you're changing lanes. Technically you can get away with only one signal and be within the law. 3 is perfect for me if there's not a lot of traffic but I will just turn the signal on when there is, so that they know my intentions with plenty of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.