2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #41
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,143, Level 34
Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 2012 Ford Focus View Post
FINALLY!! My car is fixed. After havig the service manager ride with me (30 miles one way down the freeway and back) so that we both knew exactly what I was trying to describe about the car's steering; definitely was a problem and needed fixing. It took 3 weeks to get the part (a new rack for the steering), which was no fault of the dealer for the delay. Now my new Ford Focus drives like a dream, as every new car should.
Hi MN 2012 Ford Focus,

That's wonderful! I'm so happy it is driving nice and smooth. Enjoy your Focus!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #42
jmczaja
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89489
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmczaja Good Standing Member
So... I'm not crazy afterall! I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE a few weeks ago. After a few days of driving it, and especially after taking on the highway for a while, I noticed I had to literally wrestle the vehicle to stay straight. The steering wheel would stiffen when getting up to speeds of around 65 MPH. I found myself fighting the wheel to stay straight. Forget about driving with one hand. I just took the car on a 650 mile road trip this past week and my hands are literally sore from fighting the steering the whole time.

So i took my car to the dealership a few days before my trip and explained the problem. I took the tech for a ride to which he responded, "It feels a bit stiff but thats the way this car supposed to handle because of the electronic steering!". In any case, we got back to the dealship and he pulled up some documents to verify that the 2012 Focus has the 'electronic' steering and this was indeed what i was experiencing and that i just "You probably have to just get used to it!".

I'm glad I found this forum and regained a bit of my sanity.. Now hopefully my car will be fixed without any hassle.. I'll PM Natasha with the info needed.. Thanks guys!

-j

Last edited by jmczaja; 09-08-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #43
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,143, Level 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
I'm glad I found this forum and regained a bit of my sanity.. Now hopefully my car will be fixed without any hassle.. I'll PM Natasha with the info needed.. Thanks guys!
Hi jmczaja,

Welcome to the forum! Check your inbox!

~Natasha

Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM   #44
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

Points 3,523, Level 37
Points: 3,523, Level: 37 Points: 3,523, Level: 37 Points: 3,523, Level: 37
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member

Last edited by Faygo Focus; 09-03-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: off topic
Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #45
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faygo Focus View Post
All I want more is a Focus travel mug with the disappearing start button graphic that they were giving away earlier this year.
That is completely off topic for this thread which is about people who are experiencing problems with EAS. Please re-read the Forum Rules, and PM me if you have any problems. Thanks for your additions to the Focus community, and nice car!

I will delete both these messages within a few minutes after I'm sure you've seen what's written. Check www.fordaccessories.com for your coffee cup, or PM Natasha for a question like this.

actually it's accessories.ford.com, but I didn't find the cup there after searching the site for it. There are 42 accessories for the 2012 Focus though.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #46
gwbuss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89615
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 gwbuss Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 2012 Ford Focus View Post
I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in Minnesota in June. The test drive was great (only 3 to 4 miles). When driving the car home (which is about 60 miles from the dealer), after 25 miles or so, the steering seemed to stiffen up and I found myself kind of zig-zaging within the lane (new cement freeway less than one year old). Thought maybe I was not used to the new car, or maybe it was the road? Since then, I paid close attention to the steering. I don't know what causes the steering to stiffen and free up at times. For now it seems to happen only at crusing speed (60-65) after some distance...and the distance seems to vary. So I decided after several hundred miles it wasn't the road or my ability to drive, it was the steering in the car that was the problem. I brought the car back to the dealer to be fixed and they said it drove fine. I asked them how far they drove it, and they said less than 10 miles. I asked them if they would drive it 20 to 30 miles on the freeway. They did, and found the car to be doing what I said it was doing with the steering getting stiff and then free. But they said nothing could be done about it. I am wondering how the car is going to act on ice this winter driving down the freeway. Anyone else hear about, or having this steering problem?
I had the same problem, they replaced 3 bolts and problem was solved. I didn't think that would fix it but it did.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #47
jmczaja
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89489
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jmczaja Good Standing Member
Here's a follow up to document my experiences.. After posting in this forum, a representative was extremely quick to personally phone me and get the ball rolling. I'm very thankful for that, good job!

So I had my 2nd appointment to bring the car back this morning. Brought it in and explained the problem again. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take it out for ride as it was raining and the tech didnt want to take it out for any length of time. The one thing that set me off a bit was when i explained that other people are having this problem and the service guy got a bit condescending and said that he never heard of the problem and that he would be the first to know if there was such a problem. Point taken, perhaps he never did hear of this problem but c'mon, he'd be the first to know? I guess the problem is all in my head? Hahaha.. Nice!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #48
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,143, Level 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Forum Activity 14%
Quote:
Here's a follow up to document my experiences.. After posting in this forum, a representative was extremely quick to personally phone me and get the ball rolling. I'm very thankful for that, good job!
Hi jmczaja,

Thanks for the update! I'm bummed the rain didn't cooperate long enough for them to test drive. The sales rep should have eased your concerns, and I am sorry that was not the case. Please keep me posted on the latest information. Try and stay dry up there!

~Natasha

Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #49
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
... The one thing that set me off a bit was when i explained that other people are having this problem and the service guy got a bit condescending and said that he never heard of the problem and that he would be the first to know if there was such a problem. Point taken, perhaps he never did hear of this problem but c'mon, he'd be the first to know? I guess the problem is all in my head? Hahaha.. Nice!
Two items:

1) ensure that you are talking to the Service Foreman. Not the Service Manager, and not the Service Writer. The Writer takes your service order. He or she is not necessarily all that super technically skilled. The Service Manager may only be an individual who is rising through mgt ranks. By comparison, the lead technician, or the Service Foreman, is often both a person who is on the tools, part-time, and also a person who may go on test drives.

2) be confident, that this problem is not necessarily wide-spread -- but it is a problem, none-the-less. Go to Parts. Confirm with them that a NEW PART NUMBER has been issued, for the steering rack, reflecting components that now undergo heightened QC checking, for whatever parameter that was found to be suspect on the offending units. Why a new part number? That should serve as corroborating evidence that there was / is a problem! I think the steering position sensor, somehow is inaccurately placed on the offending units. The EPAS system ends up fighting the driver. That's why it feels notchy.

It appears only to happen, at or above certain speeds (usually at expressway speeds). Also, it appears to happen after a certain period of time -- not necessarily right away.

I hope this helps.

Note that when owners of 2009 thru 2011 Toyota Corollas (with EPAS) also complained, it was a relatively small contingent who had the problem. Even some of the owners, active on forums, dissed those who brought up this problem. Do not be demoralized re this treatment! You are not imagining this issue -- it is just not that wide-spread.

If you must, bring some of the forum discussion, hardcopy, with you, particularly text that really describes the issue well.

Ford should be issuing a TSB on this issue!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #50
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
jmszaja - see this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261200

Should have lots of descriptions, and information about the fix.

Bookmarks & Social Networks