Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To

503K views 429 replies 116 participants last post by  Ruby Red Leo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've always been the type to have pride in the fact that I do my own work. And with that sometimes comes a better product. I knew I wanted an intake on my new Focus. I wanted a K&N filter. And I wanted it to be functional without being too "ricey", or have too much over-powering intake noise. So this is what I have been dreaming about the last few months.

Start by jumping on the net, or head to your local auto parts store, and order Gates part #22274. What you get is a 3" inside diameter, right angle heater hose. With very little trimming, it becomes the perfect fit! It runs about $37. I found mine for $23 on Amazon shipped!

While you're waiting for that to come in. Remove your airbox, along with the resonator you'll find under it bolted to the frame. I find it easiest to keep the MAF sensor attached to the box, and remove the hose clamp and wire harness to the MAF sensor.

Remove the front air dam plate by pushing it out back towards the engine bay. You can take your time to push each snap out of the way. Or just use a little extra force and it pops right out. I found this best. :)

I laid out a line across the center of each opening, and spaced out each hole I wanted to drill. Then over to drill the holes.

Finished. Of course you can drill your holes any way you like. I was going for a clean, not too obvious look while maintaining good airflow.

This is the area you want to run the hose through. It's a tight squeeze, so it will take some suggesting.

Should look like this once it's in place. Note, at this time the hose is uncut. What a nice fit eh! :)

Here's one of what she looks like from the top. (uncut)

From the first hose picture you'll notice it runs on a bit of an angle to the right. Measure back 2 inches, and cut a notch to act as a scoop. I used just a simple straight razor blade.

Here's a fun part. Remember that factory airbox we removed? Yeah well to buy one new it runs about $130. But that's ok, cause in a couple years people will be throwing them away when they buy their CAI. So you'll be able to pick on up down the road if you want to go back. But today we're going to drill a 3 1/2" hole in it! :) Get out your 3 1/2" hole saw, and cut a hole as close to the old resonator hole as possible. Always clean up your cut edges too! :)

Now put the box back in, and fully seat it in place. You want to adjust the hose so it feels relaxed. Then mark a line around the hose about a 1/4" from the bottom of the box. Remove the box, and cut the marked line.

After the hose is all cut. Reinstall your freshly drilled air dam plate, and then reinstall the hose. It may take a couple times of replacing the airbox to get the hose in the relaxed state again so you can make your bracket. I used 3/4" by 1/8" aluminum bar I get from the hardware store. While you're at the hardware store, pick up a nice stainless steel 3" hose clamp! My clamp looked like this when I was done. Depending on how you drilled your 3 1/2" hole in your airbox, yours may look different. You're going to use the hole that the resonator was using.

Now bolt your bracket in place, and install your hose clamp. BEAUTIFUL! Nice work! You're almost done!

Put your airbox back in, and adjust your hose to fit snugly in place.

Put your air filter back in, and bolt the air box cover back on. I chose to use a Outerwears pre-filter with this setup to prevent any water from getting in the engine. It also keeps bugs out of your pleats. Start her up and enjoy! Maybe roll her out on the driveway and give her a wash, cause you know you're going to want to go for a drive. :)

A little custom vinyl work to show off the Griffin Ram Air mod. :)

Now I know everyone is going to ask HOW DOES IT SOUND?!?!?! CLEAN! Not ricey at all! Not even as aggressive as a regular CAI. It has a very mellow throaty growl to it at WOT. However, which I like, it doesn't over power the engine note with LOUD intake noise. If you like LOUD intake noise, this won't cut it. If you like to hear your engine and intake compliment each other, this is it baby!

Audio: http://youtu.be/bh2LVJJNXQg

Also, I can hear people already complaining about dirt and water, etc etc. Easy fix. Of which I don't have pictured because it is still on order in the mail. Outerwears Pre-filters! With hydrophobic water shield. Either have one custom made for your filter, or hop on eBay and pick up one for an ATV and just slap it on the top side of your hose before it enters the box. I'll post pictures when I get mine in. And what about puddles and hydro-lock and all that CAI intake worries.... You're in luck. By leaving your existing factory pipes, they will act as your vacuum bypass. Aren't you smart! All your friends are going to love you! ;)

See less See more
#39 ·
Not sure if this makes sense. Is there a way to channel some nice dense
cold air produced by the cars A/C into the intake?
That would boost performance for sure, I think. It sure makes a difference in
NHRA Pro Stock. Those carb cars perform much better in cool weather.

#45 ·
Chill out guys you are both technically right. Touching on Physics, Air is a Fluid. So in that light, it will act as such. It is true that given the angle of the side louves on the front bumper, some air will be channeled away from that area. However, some air will indeed be thrust into that open cavity since air always takes advantage of the path of least resistance. So in conclusion, some air will travel around and over the louves down the side of the car due to pressure build up when the throttle is closed, and some air will go directly into the louves (when it has the black plastic cover off exposing it ofcourse) due to the vaccume of the engine. Did you guys understand anything I just said!?!?!?

#46 ·
As long as we all understand no such thing as suction. the air is only pushed by the pressure from behind. Suction is just an invented term to say you made some area of less pressure in front of the point measured. so some of the air on the other side of that point is going to move to the area of lower pressure...
[bash]
[dunno]
[driving]

#47 ·
My vacuum cleaner sucks. So does the intake on my car. I don't understand why you're trying to infer that something mysterious is going on. I get the whole less pressure thing, but seriously. An engine is basically a sucking machine. The pistons pull air into the engine at a certain rate depending on the position of the accelerator and at the same time it forces it out the other side to make room for more.

Tony

#49 ·
Are you kidding? No such thing as suction. What do you think happens in a straw? How do you think a vacuum works? How to race cars draft? How the heck would a dialysis machine work, we use "suction" in some form every day.

I cannot really believe anyone would make such a statement, over such a common principal.
Thank you. and Thank you!

It's like arguing with a senile 70 year old that thinks just because they have years they have wisdom. lol Just sayin. lol

But seriously, this thing has blown WAY out of proportion!!!! There's nothing new here. It is what it is. My gas gauge say it's working just fine. And I'm quite happy with the hundreds I saved on an aftermarket CAI. So there you have it. Take it or leave it.

Elizabeth, if you want a real professional ram air, follow this: http://youtu.be/YACaKYPlJ28 [histerical]

**MODS** When this thing is over with, can you PLEASE clean up my thread? Including this comment. Thanks! [wave]

#53 ·
Thank you. and Thank you!

Elizabeth, if you want a real professional ram air, follow this: http://youtu.be/YACaKYPlJ28 [histerical]

**MODS** When this thing is over with, can you PLEASE clean up my thread? Including this comment. Thanks! [wave]
Great video, but I think I can further reduce the materials cost if I use an old lampshade, empty toilet paper rolls and some tinfoil from last night's take out. What do you think? LOL!!!

#50 ·
I am glad it is working for you. I especially like the fact of the significant increase in your gas mileage. I was thinking of also doing this but prior to drilling the plate I would mark off where the bars on the unit hide the plate to avoid drilling in this area, as it provides no benifit.

I was also considering using 2-1/2" or 3" muffler parts which come in various section such as 90's 45's etc. this way I could piece the sections together then big weld them off site.

I am still wondering on how to deal with heat, and with the tube out, I could wrap it with exhaust tape. I would use an enlarged pipe opening at the front and where it attaches to the bottom of the air assembly.

I installed a K&N filter but had the update done to engine/transmission the next day (calibration update) which appears to have dropped my overall mileage, so I have no way of knowing if the filter actually works.

All in all this thread got people thinking, and got myself and other on doing their own intake mod.

Thanks for sharing.

#51 ·
Wiki sez:
""Suction is the flow of a fluid into a partial vacuum, or region of low pressure. The pressure gradient between this region and the ambient pressure will propel matter toward the low pressure area. Suction is popularly thought of as an attractive effect, which is incorrect since vacuums do not innately attract matter. Dust being "sucked" into a vacuum cleaner is actually being pushed in by the higher pressure air on the outside of the cleaner.

The higher pressure of the surrounding fluid can push matter into a vacuum but a vacuum cannot attract matter""

it ain't rocket science. And yeah cut any and all non fanboy postings. Reads way better and keeps the fanboys from whimpering..

#56 ·
Maybe I can clarify the vacuum/ pressure discussion.

Everyone of us is living our lives being subjected to atmospheric pressure. Here on earth that pressure is approx. 14.7 pounds per square inch at sea level. It varies with the weather (barometric pressure) and will be lower when standing on top of a mountain, more at the bottom of a canyon that is below sea level.

That pressure you are subjected to comes from the column of air that is above you from where you are standing to outer space. That column has weight and you have some square inches of surface area, divide the weight in pounds by the square inches and you get pounds per square inch or psi.

For convenience stake pressure above atmospheric is referred to as positive pressure and below atmospheric as vacuum.

Someone mentioned the ideal gas law. In this law with all other things remaining constant pressure varies inversely with volume. That is volume goes up pressure goes down. This relates to your engine in that you have a volume of air above the piston at atmospheric pressure. When the piston starts down it's stroke that volume above the piston gets larger and the pressure goes down. The air outside the cylinder is still at atmospheric so when the intake valve opens the higher pressure air moves to the lower pressure air to equalize.

#61 ·
Yeah I may (or not? I am really gettin' lazy..try something like this to allow a little more air in the box.
I bought a k&N air filter off Amazon. (the local autostores are like what? for a 2012.. no way. not in out computer...)
So i also plan on the Ford exhaust.
So I might do some sort of change in the box, though not the ram effect stuff. Have to see if the regular intake goes where,, and if adding something in the wj=heel well can do more...
The ford stainless freer flowing exhaust I want mostly due to the car being too quiet. I just have a tough time shifting by ear with it

#62 ·
Looking at the pictures, I can't tell if the mod introduces the air before or after the MAF sensor. If before, I'd say your fine since the computer should still know exactly how much air is going to the engine. However, if the mod introduces air after the MAF sensor, then your air flow past the sensor should decrease, and may cause the computer to spray less fuel into each cylinder charge, which would explain the significant MPG increase. This may not be a big deal (my car has had the CEL on for years due to a lean fuel code), but I've heard that lean fuel mixtures can be harmful at higher RPMs, due to the hotter combustion of a lean mixture.

#63 ·
The factory air box is before the MAF. The pictures show a 3 inch hole being drilled into the factory air box. You're good. [thumb]

#73 ·
#70 ·
I added the K&N airfilter to my Focus yesterday morning.
i would say it gave a 1mpg increase in the readings from the mileage panel readings.
So I was impressed.
Then, looking at the stock air intake to the air filter box, it is an odd contraption, with a blind second end (for noise reduction, I had the same on my Mystique, it cancels the intake noise, and does nothing for performance)
I am wanting to let in more air too. A different intake lip from the stock air in at the front may be just as valuable. The air is coming in from next to the Ford front emblem, lower half. The stock intake part is pretty restricted, and actually narrows down, next to the blind ended taper.
And yeah, it makes a big differnce at low RPM if the intake has some restrictions, the engine just does not produce much vacuum to get the air flowing at low RPM. So less restriction means more air coming in, and more power made. The engine meters out the fuel totally based on the amount of air getting in.

#72 ·
They seem like a ricer intake and much more expensive than the DIY, but I would love to see a review or even pictures of an install. I really cant wait until all of the aftermarket parts start coming out from multiple sources, all of us here are going to benefit from the competition.

#76 ·
Thanks for the offer of a free decal, but i am an old bag.
Sticking your graphic on my ride would be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Folks would see the car, then the old bag driving.... and puke.
[hah][screwy]
Personally the stock air intake offers a lot of possibilities. The rubber connection from front to air box is pretty constricted, and part of the hose is a noise reduction device.
Getting rid of that part, and just having a nice full width air intake off the stock location might really be a good answer.
The stock seems to be coming from the front grill slot to the drivers' side of the Ford emblem, lower half of the chrome grill divider.
I would have to get a better look at the combo of inlet and rubber connector hose.
That entrance seems like it could easily be doubled in size. As the hose is the big restriction as designed. (look at he restricted area in it. and the added dead end cone..)
And it might offer some cool sound to get rid of the funny extra dead end part of the inlet (obviously added to cut noise from the intake)
The positive to your intake addition is that it is hidden. A mod of the stock intake is very visible.

#78 ·
Thanks newmission! I ordered the hose yesterday and it should be here Wednesday, hopefully I can get it all done on Saturday and have fun Sunday testing it out and getting test data. I went to go order the pre-filter as I too think its a prudent safety/cleanliness purchase but the bums at Outerwears haven't put it on their site yet! Outerwears - you have a market, the specs, and at least one successful example, MOVE!! I might have to go through that contact of yours.

For testing I have a good 2 mile-ish stretch of perfect 65mph (*ehem* 74mph) highway near me that I would love to test it on as I follow this road for 35 miles of my 60 mile commute. As far as the procedure I will take the car out and reset the mileage after I am up to speed and see what the MPG is at the end of the road section. It is pretty flat with almost no curves so it should work well to remove variables. Then I will do another test with sport mode WOT acceleration. It will start as above but after the MPG resets and stabilizes (takes about a mile in my experience) I will downshift into Sport and let the car slow as much as it can on an engine brake before manually braking. From here, WOT until 75 and then off the gas. Once I am coasting again (RPMs stabilize) I will take another reading.

I will have a full tank for both runs and will not be using climate control or the radio. Also, all cargo except my emergency kit and glove box essentials will be removed. Lastly the time of day will be the same and the outside temperature will be documented. I will try to document as many subjective differences as I can, but those will, of course, be only for entertainment.

I have to ask though, if you where to do it again, what would you change as far as the overall mod and install process?

#79 ·
...the bums at Outerwears haven't put it on their site yet!...

...I have to ask though, if you where to do it again, what would you change as far as the overall mod and install process?
AWESOME! You WILL be pleased I have no doubt. But no bums at Outerwears. They are great down to earth people to work with. There's really only a hand full of cars that our K&N filter goes on, so I don't think they will be adding it to the site any time soon. As a result, for now it is a custom order. I ordered two since the custom charge is one time flat rate.

If I had it to do again....
I would add more holes to the grille insert. Other than that. I do plan on playing with a cone of some kind to better take advantage of every bit of air. I was at the dealer taking a look under the hood of a 2011 Cobra's ram air for ideas. And beside the cone it had on the grille, our mod has more air induction easy!

I have yet to get a temp reading. But I have removed and inspected the hose and filter after a good highway drive during a down pore. ZERO water in the tube, or on the filter. However the box was filled with bugs and tiny particles caught by the pre-filter. If you do this mod, I recommend making a note to blow out the air box after every oil change.

I look forward to your testing numbers. Just be sure to give the computer time to adjust to the new air supply. Unplug the battery when you do the mod, and run a couple tanks of gas. Then do your after mod testing.

enjoy! :)

#80 ·
I'll definitely disconnect the battery, and your point about giving it a bit to adjust is prudent so I'll change my plan a little. I'll add the 2/3 tank after results to the test, but I would still like to see if their is an immediate appreciable gain in either power or MPG not having the engine suck through the straw that is the stock intake.

#81 ·
Fair enough. :)

Do note the idle before and after. It will remain around 650 either way, but vibration will be almost unnoticeable. That was one of the biggest noticeable differences I found. I think the engine smiled. [hihi]

#82 ·
I have always used K&N and loved them. I just ordered the filter today and going to get the Prefilter in a little. and as for everyone saying the Focus is an economy car and sluggish at low RPMs. I havnt run into that at all. The other day I raced my friends Acura RSX-type S (H&R race intake, full catback exhaust, and race skunk 2 suspension). I actually beat him off the line and was a sliver ahead up until about 3rd gear is where he started to pull away(but kinda slowly pull away). But the integra's top end is its specialty. Im not saying its fast but it has got a good amount of power for a compact car.

And this wasnt just a fluke. I went from a 30 roll for fun with my friends Cadillac CTS and once again got him early on but his V6 took advantage but I was able to keep up with him. All in all im very impressed by the Focus performance and putting on an intake will def help let the engine stretch her legs better.

Thanks for the post Newmission! great mod and love the decal haha, is that just your last name or a friends garage name? could have fooled me for a professional company haha

#83 ·
I have always used K&N and loved them. I just ordered the filter today and going to get the Prefilter in a little. and as for everyone saying the Focus is an economy car and sluggish at low RPMs. I havnt run into that at all. The other day I raced my friends Acura RSX-type S (H&R race intake, full catback exhaust, and race skunk 2 suspension). I actually beat him off the line and was a sliver ahead up until about 3rd gear is where he started to pull away(but kinda slowly pull away). But the integra's top end is its specialty. Im not saying its fast but it has got a good amount of power for a compact car.

And this wasnt just a fluke. I went from a 30 roll for fun with my friends Cadillac CTS and once again got him early on but his V6 took advantage but I was able to keep up with him. All in all im very impressed by the Focus performance and putting on an intake will def help let the engine stretch her legs better.

Thanks for the post Newmission! great mod and love the decal haha, is that just your last name or a friends garage name? could have fooled me for a professional company haha

#84 ·
Thanks brother! I have a Cavalier, Cobalt, 2 Accords (early 90s & late 2000s), Newer Civic Si, and Ram 1500 under my belt so far. All at the track of course, as talking about street racing here is illegal. [angel]

As for the decals. My brother is a professional graphics designer. He just whipped me up something with my last name in it. Wanted it to look like it was a special edition Focus decal or something along those lines. As though to graphic belonged there from factory. Have fooled a lot of people so far....who don't know my last name. [giddy]

Best part about this mod, is that it all looks factory. I'd bet it would fool some service techs!

#87 ·
Ms paint!!!!

Doug, you may be on to something. I am going without the prefilter for now as the $10 setup fee for something that they have already made 2 of is not the right thing in my mind, but i could probably work that down/off when I call.

On another note, during an extended period of inactivity at work I have developed the stunning simulation of what I plan todo below. The holes will be a medium size and alternate and an off-set linearly parallel manner to produce optimum airflow with decreased wind resistence

TRANSLATION:

I'm board at work so i played around in paint to make a crappy diagram with more holes. [hihi]

I think this would work well. By not drilling the whole thing I am decreasing air that I THINK may not make it to the intake at speed and thus only adds friction and not intake pressure.

#90 ·
Maybe in the future.

Doug, I know that, and its very tempting to do, but unfortunately I share the same worry as newmission. My degree is in Computer Science so I know very little about fluid dynamics. There is just too many things that COULD impact performance and sometimes its the smallest thing that makes the disproportionately huge change in the result. I know in some instances even adding a small obstacle actually improves air flow, so I just don't know. Newmission seems to have made a pretty good setup through a mixture of thought, trial and error, and luck. So I'm first trying to replicate his results and then work on improving them.

I agree with newmission that more holes should have been used, but I also think that they should be positioned differently, thus I am making them a little smaller, closer together, and concentrated closer to the tube end

#91 ·
I would think a black heavy gauge screen would be better than a bunch of random holes in the plastic.
Actually a heavy gauge black screen mesh in to replace the plastic with the added holes. Then set behind that, a second identical screen back a quarter inch. (or even a pattern drilled in a solid block, or vanes tilting UP diagonally to kill direct water intake
This would smooth out the air coming in and it would be an even, higher pressure zone at speed inside the cavity. The random small holes one cannot tell what effect they have at speed. With the air near a hole being pushed one way, and the air at the hole being buffeted by the adjacent no hole area bounced off airflow.. (a mess aero wise)

#92 ·
I honestly think we are all guessing, i'll admit that I am. Newmission got a decent result and im trying to do a tiny +1. I have thought about the screen but wondered as to whether or not it would actually allow more air than the holes, again, I'm basically guessing. With the hole plan I have right now, I can always take out more if I want.

#93 ·
Concerning the holes in the grille insert. I've done some research on what has been manufactured for such applications in the past. This insert is for a Scion xB by Toyota Racing Developement aka TRD. The top insert is TRD, the lower is the factory blank, like we are working with. For once I'm actually going to side with Elizabeth. Notice the fins very in angle through out the insert.

#94 ·
It looks like they are trying to catch the air as it rolls past that part of the body. They probably had a wind tunnel, or at least someone who knows what they are talking about, to tell them how to angle the fins. I would love it if Ford did the thinking for us but for now we are experimenting on our own. If I where to use a funnel, I would definitely open the whole damn thing up and only use a screen as mentioned. Until then I will go with the modified hole design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.